1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Alcohol burning survival stove using a pop can

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by campforums, Feb 15, 2013.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I was pretty impressed by this, its so simple it can be shown by a .gif

n63DN.gif

2. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

I made a couple of those and it does work but mostly just to boil water. Boiling water could mean your survival though if you are thirsty and the water needs to be purified.

Another choice is to use a small paint can filled with cotton balls and alcohol. Almost like a giant candle. You can get new paint cans at the home improvement stores so they are clean and have a lid. Use the lid to seal in the alcohol for your trip.

3. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I love how you mention cotton balls and alcohol in a paint can Zimm. Because that sounds like a trip to the emergency room waiting. Really the number of things that could possibly go wrong seem to reach out into the distance.

4. TABL

TABL Explorer

This is cool! I bet my boys would love to make one with their dad. He'd probably know, but I have to ask, what is he stuffing back into the can?

5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I think it is cotton stuffing, similar to what you would see in a lighter. Its so the fuel is fed to the top and evenly burned.

6. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

I would use an alcohol burning survival stove as a last resort. I would probaly use this in more of an urban survival situation than just on a camping trip as well. They are a great fun project to take on and make though.

Draft saved Draft deleted