1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Another trip logged: Kennisis Lake Dam

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Northern Dancer, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Two vehicles from two different directions charted their way through the off and on rain to rendezvous at Kennisis Lake Dam. The clouds looked threatening as we packed the canoes but by the time the task was completed the sun burst out assuring us the next three nights and four days would be a blast.

IMG_1229.jpg IMG_1232.jpg

IMG_1235.jpg IMG_1234.jpg

We leisurely traced our way through the channel, through the sand bars and out onto Red Pine Lake proper and headed for our reserved spot.

IMG_1286.jpg IMG_1284.jpg

We could see even before we landed that it was an excellent site.

IMG_1250.jpg IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg IMG_1275.jpg

Our camp site was functional almost instantly and included the installation of a toilet seat on the Thunder Box and an opportunity to meet some of the inhabitants of the region.

IMG_1307.jpg IMG_1295.jpg

It didn't take us long to explore the greater area and see what we could find.

IMG_1314.jpg A horse shoe embedded in a root of a tree.

IMG_1246.jpg IMG_1312.jpg

From the early morning mist, to a gentle sunset, to the crackling of our night fire we packed as much as we could into the few days we had.

IMG_1317.jpg IMG_1300.jpg

And as always, there was good food, good friends, and a good place to unwind and relax.

killeroy154 likes this.
  2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Fabulous! Looks like you had a great trip. Isn't it amazing that the tree root would grow around a horse shoe? Love the pictures. I'll be looking at this again in anticipation of my next trip. That is a great looking area with plenty of wilderness. When I seen the picture of the frog I hesitated and thought maybe you made a witch mad, and she turned you into a toad.

3. Northern Dancer

Thanks @killeroy154

While we were there we had a Ministry aircraft buzz our camp site. He came right at us and I thought he was going to shear the top of the trees off.

All being equal the next camp is at the end of the month for seven days, a weekend with our scout group the third weekend in September and then back to Algonquin for ten days camping/canoeing in early October.

IMG_1230.jpg

Our own lagoon.

IMG_1273.jpg IMG_1272.jpg IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg He was gone almost as soon as he had arrived.

killeroy154 likes this.
  4. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

(All being equal the next camp is at the end of the month for seven days, a weekend with our scout group the third weekend in September and then back to Algonquin for ten days camping/canoeing in early October.)

Wow you got it all planned out. I see partial retirement is agreeing with you. Now about your previous trip. You all put in below kennisis lake dam, and made your way down stream to red pine lake. Was there much current below the dam? The water looks really clean there. I was showing your pictures to the young guy I work with. We look at that area on Google maps. Thanks for pictures it makes for great conversations here at work, and gives a person something to dream of and think about. Oh the toilet seat on the thunder box looked superb.

5. Northern Dancer

upload_2017-8-12_10-36-50.jpeg Approaching the site [official photo]

The area is relatively calm and the channel isn't terribly deep. Though, on occasion there are some mighty winds that come across the lake. I've experienced them more than once. Most dams are open but many have buoys around them to stop canoes from colliding. We noticed a considerable rise in the water this year. Some of the boulders on the lake that were visible were below the water line making us pay attention to the route maps. The site is in what is called the Frost Centre Area and the camp point is mainly Pine and Hemlock trees. The water is generally deep though the rock formation has a slight incline into the water. Great for swimming. There are some camp sites in the area that have sandy beaches. There are designated day spots only that boast sandy beaches and lower water levels.

IMG_1269.jpg IMG_1271.jpg Language in English & French. IMG_1322.jpg This is the Kennisis Lake Dam

In all cases dams are clearly marked and warnings are posted as well as clearly marked portage routes.

IMG_1304.jpg

These are rock formations that jet out onto the water. There were a lot fewer visible this year. Strange - none of them are marked and frequently are iceberg in formation so you need to pay close attention or your canoe/boat will make contact with them.

AND FISHING YOU ASK?
    Red Pine Lake is in the Fisheries Management Zone 15 - the main fish species being Trout, Small Mouth Bass and Yellow Perch.

...and to think - I can get to the dam in four hours and be at a canoe camp site in an hour. All less time than a day's work. :)

6. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

4 hour drive there. That would be great to go at least for a night or two. I like the rock area at your landing, it's clean looking. Here there is very little sand or rock landings. Most are muddy banks. I use a towel instead of a sponge in my canoe cause a towel can wipe up mud easier, and I can keep my muddy feet on it. I stepped out onto a normal mud dirt bank once on a trip, and it stunk real bad. I had a new pair of water shoes and they stunk so bad after that trip that I had to throw them away.

That is a very clean looking place.

7. Northern Dancer

...I hadn't thought of cleanliness - the areas that I frequent have always been lush forest growth and water clean. I live near the Grand River and it has a dirty look primarily because of the clay bottom. The river has been rehabilitated and species of wildlife that had been absent are back again along with an abundance of fish. Conservation efforts everywhere have been elevated to an all time high. Regulations, fines and policing have increased significantly over the years - and I'm okay with that.

I can camp and canoe closer to my home but I prefer the distant as it affords a more wilderness tykpe atmosphere.

35_new.jpg

* I liked and enjoyed your post about the canoe seat. You are an incredibly creative guy.

8. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Wow that's a really beautiful spot. I can't wait until we can start getting a little more adventurous.

My grandpa has a buddy from his old Vietnam days, I call him Uncle Pete. They have always gotten together and told stories from their army days. One in particular stood out to me as a child that involved an unfortunately placed thunderbox in the middle of the night which ended up being right next to train tracks.

A short time after hearing that story, I was mentioning "Uncle Pete" in passing and was asked to clarify which one, as I have a biological uncle named Pete as well. I blurted out, "Uncle Thunderbox Pete", which he is still known as today lol.

Anyway it was from him and my grandpa that I got my love of the outdoors. I used to go fishing and camping with them, my grandma and "Auntie". My grandpa is pushing 80 and still out there climbing trees.

Just wanted to share that because of the thunderbox lol. Speaking of which, what do you use in it? I've heard a lot of off-grid people who use some form of wood chips or coconut coir, but I don't know how practical that is for camping? I'm imagining taking it home and composting it lol. Humanure takes a long time from what I've heard...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Northern Dancer

...loved the story @missyify - great stuff. For the Thunder Box [mini outhouse] we use ceder or pine needles to cover. Frequently I bring a tank deodorizer. It is my custom to clean things down with pinesol - to make it all home like. :)

10. Northern Dancer

IMG_1232.jpg

I miss the place already.

killeroy154 likes this.
  11. Northern Dancer

Speaking of the sun and moon...
    this is a photo that my buddy took of the moon on our trip to Red Pine.

our_moon.jpg

killeroy154 likes this.
  12. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

That looks so nice. I am trying to keep it together till october. 2 nights camping would suffice the inner burning beast in me. Love the pictures, thank you.

13. Northern Dancer

-----> We say "two nights", seemingly trivial, but with busy schedules and pressing commitments two nights are as satisfying as a man who thirsts for a drink of water.

I'll be away late September early October [after Scout Camp on the September 22nd weekend]. It will be a combination of base/interior camping. You never really know what the night temperature will be like that time of year so we will be doubly equipment to meet the elements. I will be away at Camp Wendake - a specialty camp in the Diocese for persons having HIV/AIDS beginning this Sunday. The Camp is located on the shores of Lake Huron and lasts for eight days. As well as my regular duties of care I'm also the master fire builder. I call the whole experience, "Camping with a Purpose".

I enjoyed your photo spread too. It's sorta nice to view another person's trip - it enables you to enhance your own experience as you gain from another. :)

14. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

That sounds like a blast. I remember very well when I was a teenager, wow that was 30 some years ago, and going with the youth group to a state park for 5 days. We had cabins to stay in, of course we had to evict the critters and fight off the creepy crawly things, but it was great. We had to give up our watches, so we wouldn't know what time it was. Only the team leaders had watches. We would meet with our assigned groups, 10 to 15 people, and work on team building or sharing exercises and stuff like that. It was very structured. We all enjoyed it and didn't want to leave. We made friends in those few days, and I guess we learned a lot about ourselves through the friends we made. We helped each other to be a better person. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything.

Back in the late 70s HIV/AIDS was a new and emerging epedemic. It was almost a sure death sentence then. Now I guess they have better treatments for it, but no one should have to endure that especially a young person. Wow 8 days camping. They'll never forget that, in a good way of course, I hope anyhow. I hope the skeeters ain't to bad.

15. Northern Dancer

Most of my camping that I enjoy these days is solo. But it's fun to hook up with others on a larger scale and have fun within a larger group. Camp Wendake will have approximately 95 campers and a staff of approximately 40. Our medical team alone has 1 physician and 4 RN's on staff. The entire Leadership Crew are made up of volunteers; most of which are in some profession.

Our Parish Scouting group will have approximately 150 in camp including Leadership - the theme this year is Egyptian. I make their props as part of my contribution.

Ya...I enjoy the life style.

Draft saved Draft deleted