1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

12 month challenge

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bibsoutdoors, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I just came from another site, apparently someone issued a challenge for those who felt like taking on a challenge, to camp out at least once a month for twelve months. 31a214d6e23cf795b9efe9934e2dc18f.jpg This may not be unusual but it sure sounds like a fun challenge. To date 74 pages of responses, comments and pictures from those who have accepted to try this. How cool. If you make it great! If you fail, what have you failed at? NOTHING. I'm not really sure you can use the word fail. What are you going to say? "Oh I only got off the couch 8 out of 12 months this year compared to only getting off the couch once last year."
    Are any rules necessary? 1.) You have to get out and camp once (1) time a month. No penalties if you go more times than the required. 2.) It has to be outside. For those of you in a pinch, the backyard will work. 3.) A picture is required for each outing. More for our pleasure than your proof. Explanations may accompany your picture but not required. 2b0f8c4d75a888db1faa7ebe0ff72020.jpg It was cold at -19°F and a lot of fun, or my equipment failed, or I forgot my toothbrush. You get the idea.
    I'm talking myself into this. It's easier now that Spring is just around the corner. Ha!

So what do you say? Rules of the game need to be changed or added to? Let's kick this around abit and launch an official challenge in a few days. Maybe we'll even get a taker or two! 193dc314ad8fa9442ed3baedb6019fc5.jpg

Bibsoutdoors

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

=====> :)
    I would like to take up the challenge beginning in May - my Camping New Year. It sounds like fun. All I have to do is have someone sign my card.

On another note I s.....................o liked the hammock snow picture. Like I've said I've never taken the hammock as a serious piece of camping equipment though I have colleagues who tell me it is the best. And they have the best too - with the thermal pad and such.

3. Northern Dancer

...@Bibsoutdoors you are going to have to get one of those Camping Babble patches for your overalls. :)

4. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I have no regrets getting out of the tent or bivy. I used to get up off the ground with stiff shoulders and sore hips and I have to admit, tired. Hammock f56ca5e0809db9f50c2c4bd99f04d8a0.jpg 06c8a8cbe34469b033fe17c6f3d840b7.jpg
    I started out with s Clark's Jungle Hammock ee8d541a053b11f3ccd9c705f8dc2ecc.jpg using Therma-Rest Dream time I had great insulation below me (R value 8). I used one of two different top quilts depending on the weather, a Hammock Gear 40°F. or 0° F. top quilt. This configuration was comfortable. Then I had an opportunity to try out an Amok and things changed completely. This is the most comfortable hammock I've ever been in. 53e89a89d4abd5bf7a7bcb188fb564ab.jpg inside I use the Exped 9 down filled air mat. This mat is good for temps down to -36°F. I can still use the top quilts as appropriate. You can sleep on your back, side or belly with absolutely no shoulder pinch. You can adjust the hammock into a recliner or chair. The no see um bug net makes it a bug free night of sleep. When you don't use the tarp you have virtually a 360° view of your surroundings. Sadly, 28°F is the lowest temp I've gotten out in this winter, that is no challenge of this equipment. Hopefully next year we can put the test to it.

Bibsoutdoors

5. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

It's on its way!

Bibsoutdoors

6. Northern Dancer

...I've used a bivy on some of my trips; it was like sleeping in a coffin. [Gave it away.] Okay for some but then I found that I could get a lot bigger shelter without all that much extra weight for a whole lot more comfort. I have used only a tarp too. The closest I have to a bivy at the moment is an eagle tent and a Coleman's Hooligan.

upload_2017-3-1_20-2-20.jpeg Coleman's Hooligan Tent.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVA-9I1Q6-OKcx6a22SshqeRxKXOeZGnvAAe-fZCsFFwK-0Ygn.jpg This is an Eagle Tent - small three person tent.
    New_Tent.png This is the new one I'm planning purchase for our August Trip. I have two older models without the front canopy. This one is designed for six persons.

7. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I agree with your bivy comments, it is extremely confining and restricting. I really like the looks of that Hooligan and the Eagle. They look like fun. I've never slept under a tarp. Talk about light weight weather protection! Who knows, maybe some day I'll get adventurous and try a tarp. Maybe even as a shelter on one of the 12 month challenge! I'm seriously going to consider that one. Thanks ND for broadening my horizons. Possibly the first month would be a good time to try it, before all the biting insects come out. Yes, this is going to be cool!

Bibsoutdoors

8. Northern Dancer

I've used this method numerous times. Only when the ferocious bug season is over.

upload_2017-3-1_21-59-19.jpeg upload_2017-3-1_21-59-49.jpeg

9. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

That sounds interesting. I doubt if I could do the once a month, but I will try more often, but it also depends how demanding my job gets. Besides what would my buddy do? He doesn't like it outside 10a6c9d2045bdc2a219d63b365822937.jpg

Northern Dancer likes this.
  10. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

I told my wife I was going to do this. She said I was crazy and I think she is right. Have a trip planned in early May but I think I'm will try to start in April.

Sent from my E39 using Tapatalk

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  11. Northern Dancer

...well, I think the word is try. I was rather hoping the challenge could be days out rather than each month; I sure have a lot of days reserved. I begin on May 23 starting with twenty one days. Maybe I could get an honourable mention. And I'm still debating whether I should purchase a hammock or a new Out Back. @Bibsoutdoors sort of lit the flame on this one.

12. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I was kind of hoping this wouldn't turn into a competition. I was hoping it to be far more important to get people out in a camping environment and use a challenge more as a catalyst to get them there. @Northern Dancer, how can we give you an honorable mention when you spend 21+ days out in the wilderness. That's a bonafied WIN, I don't care how you cut the pie. That's potentially more days out, then days out with the challenge. @Madman4800, aren't we all just a standard deviation or two off the median? Ha ha. As I mentioned in my earlier post, if you get out lets say 8 months in a row and for reasons beyond our handling the 9th month you couldn't get out, what has been lost?? Really where is the wrong? That's really just as big a win as 12 months or 21 days. Am I a bit messed up in my thinking? Maybe we should call it "The Twelve Month Catalyst" instead of challenge. Sounds pretty nuts but think of the fun we could have on this forum with ? number of people sharing stories, pictures, equipment successes/failures, new first time experiences and so on and so forth. There is nothing I like more than to hear about someone going out, telling about their set up, the weather, the sounds that gave them peace or a shiver, what they made for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I can't think of one aspect that isn't enjoyable and to have ? number of reports a month. . .WOW! Madman, can you imagine the fun of starting a burn inside your daughter were she actually PUSH'S YOU to take her out so she could get her next month in? When was the last time someone described in details a camping trip here for us to enjoy? The idea makes me excited. What better way to get first hand experiences with equipment that you maybe interested in? Oh, we could probably have fun with a competition, in my own humble opinion, I'm thinking. . .well that has been made clear. Kicking a dead horse clear so to speak. Anyway this isn't my anything, it's ours and WE can do anything we like with it! Cheers mates! 2f58a5502e977df51549284ec4c79e0b.jpg

Bibsoutdoors

Attached Files:

killeroy154 likes this.
  13. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

I'm thinking of this as a push to get me out of my comfort zone with winter camping. I can use the gear I have now combined with some DIY before I spend money on a lot of winter gear. I have all summer to research and prepare. I also have my boys interested so we will make this a fun family adventure. So I thank you for the push.

Sent from my E39 using Tapatalk

14. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I needed that push myself!

Bibsoutdoors

15. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

The more I look at this picture, the more it just kills me!

Bibsoutdoors

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted