1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

2 weeks to go!

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by killeroy154, Mar 23, 2017.

1. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I be headed to an island on the famous Dale Hollow Lake, this is where the all tackle world record small mouth was caught. I was very surprised to find out they had primitive camping in several areas of the lake, and only 3 bucks a night! I figured we would have to leave the vehicle somewhere, and that can be be sometimes be a bad situation. I called a marina to check if we could leave it there for a small daily fee. This way I feel a little safer. They said we could leave a vehicle there for free, excellent! It's only 100 miles from home. 90b67ff3f19b988aed3ff506b76562c5.jpg It's in the hills on the Kentucky and Tennessee border. There was a couple of pictures on the Internet of the island I be camping on a6bcb4e0566f0c495ce711c753579914.jpg 8ae2f4ada51da0e36277ecb0199a5582.jpg of course that's not my boat. It supposed to have a vault toilet a5fa6645ea3a4081b3d0d38049c99cf4.jpg I figure if the motor on the boat doesn't start, I can always build a raft and use the side of the vault toilet for a sail. Ya know, like Tom Hanks did in that movie Cast Away. Of course I'll post pictures while I am there or shortly after. Uumm fresh walleye roasting over a camp fire smoking with peach wood.

silverwolf636 and Bibsoutdoors like this.
  2. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Oh my gosh this sounds FANTASTIC! I'm jumping to the best part first, fresh walleye, oh man my mouth is watering, I love eating this fish! Location, fees, parking and close to home, wow, you've got it all. Sites look good, they also look clean, that's a nice plus. I'm really liking forward to seeing pictures and hearing stories. This sounds like a fantastic trip. How long do you get to enjoy it all? 0e76a21721c4b8698740be3b3cad3633.jpg

Bibsoutdoors

3. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I have to say this, call me white trash all you wish, it bothers me NOT! I would take fresh walleye over salmon any day of the week and twice on Sunday! I hope you catch many and have good size ones to choose from to eat! Good luck!!

Bibsoutdoors

4. silverwolf636

silverwolf636 Explorer

How about an Ohio Saugeye?

c07b3b58dcb5545c118778dfc4ec3ed3.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

killeroy154 likes this.
  5. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Man alive. Look at that fish! You call it an Ohio Saugeye? I don't know what that is, but you are talking to someone that doesn't know a Pike from a diving board. I've only eaten; walleye, salmon, trout, blue gills, catfish, bullheads and then the usual grocery store mass market fish. I trust you enjoyed this little monster? Fry pan, open fire, roaster, baked?? I've only been fishing maybe twenty times in my entire life, not enough to foster a real desire to do it more. I remember as a kid going with a guy who took me under his wing when my parents divorced. We would go out with a couple of other guys and one of them owned a grocery store. The fella that owned the grocery store was called "Duck"and he loved to eat while he fished. Duck would bring two coolers out each time he went with us. One contained cold soda, the other food. He would throw a line out, make a fire and start cooking. When it was ready he would actually get upset if you didn't gorge yourself. For me it was great, better than fishing. In fairness, being often hungry may have tipped the scales a bit towards not taking fishing seriously over strapping on a feed bag. Blah...blah...blah! How was the Saugeye?

Bibsoutdoors

silverwolf636 likes this.
  6. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Maybe stay 4 days. Looking forward to going and hopefully catch some eyes, but as always hard fish to find in unfamiliar waters. 2bf04560131ccf0b52cf609a3fc5b4c2.jpg Tennessee saugeye.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  7. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Man, would I enjoy that monster in a fry pan, then a plate, then on the end of my FORK! I've never seen one that big. Most impressive. 4 days is a nice little get away. Enough time to unwind and recharge but not so long as to miss your wife and kids, especially not your work! That is a great picture!

Bibsoutdoors

8. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Ooooppps, you said Tennessee Saugeye and I ess still thinking walleye. Sorry my mistake. Although like I said, you could feed me a tire and tell me it was a crappy and I wouldn't know the difference.

Bibsoutdoors

9. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Could've been walleye??? I think I caught one of each that morning. Gave the fillets of one to my daughter, she loves fish also. That one was last year. I haven't caught one yet this year Dad and I been mostly crappie fishing. 4839756504291b9934ce29bb4be94420.jpg Yummy to

Bibsoutdoors and silverwolf636 like this.
  10. silverwolf636

silverwolf636 Explorer

From what I understand is that a Saugeye is cross between a walleye and a pike? Something like that.

11. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

That be a big saugeye @silverwolf636. They stock walleye in this local lake. I think we have native sauger, but they claim they are going away. The sauger is smaller. I think they taste the same. These eyes here can be very evasive. I don't understand their behavior patterns I just get lucky once in a while. Seems like they like the colder nastier days best.

12. silverwolf636

silverwolf636 Explorer

Here's a picture of my Musky. The Saugeye and Musky were both caught at Leesville Lake while camping. c7926e7cbc96d81e2b34192c33e393d5.jpg

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  13. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Oh look, I did it again! I said crappy and it suppose to be crappie....I'll be taking ignorance to my grave.

Bibsoutdoors

killeroy154 and silverwolf636 like this.
  14. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

So their DNA is close enough they can cross breed?

Bibsoutdoors

15. silverwolf636

silverwolf636 Explorer

I think someone mentioned catfish. All from Leesville Lake in eastern Ohio.

bfef2083f7ba469ea6dedba385d9f786.jpg

killeroy154 and Bibsoutdoors like this.
  16. silverwolf636

silverwolf636 Explorer

@babsoutdoor. I'm not a 100%. This is what I've been told or read. Light taste like a walleye.

17. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I've NEVER caught a catfish that big. Look at the size of these fish you guys are putting up! It's incredible to me! Darn good thing Noah didn't have to make room for fish like this!

Bibsoutdoors

killeroy154 and silverwolf636 like this.
  18. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Whew boy! That be a big muskie! Them dudes got mean teeth and attitude. Nice whiskers to. Buddy caught a couple of smaller catfish last time we were camping. Last time I try to fillet them prickly things. They be good eaten tho.

silverwolf636 and Bibsoutdoors like this.
  19. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I think saugeye is cross between walleye and cigar,,,, I mean sauger. Wow I ain't had a cigar in years. I used to love a good gar and cup of coffee in the morning. Gave it up years ago, promised my wife trying to live healthier. Humph.

20. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Well can't sleep. Best get up and shower wife be home in an hour. Today my 52 birfday. Woopy.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted