1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

4 Must Have Tips for Preparing to go Camping

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by kevinkimers, Dec 4, 2014.

1. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Novice Camper

Camping Time! The first thing we need to do is get our gear in line..... WRONG! There is an essential part of camping that comes before even packing your gear that many overlook or forget. This step is essential in both preparing you for your camping excursion as well as help you to understand what you need to pack.

The first step is to know the area you are going to be camping in. Here is how you accomplish this first step.
    • Maps! You need maps of the area and each person going should have a copy of that map. Your base camp should be clearly marked on the map along with safe trails to take, ranger stations, parks, whatever is in the area that you may need to access. Everyone should study the map together in case someone gets separated or lost. Make sure the map is waterproof. That map and knowing where everything is could save their life.
    • Along with the map, each person should get a compass and learn to use this compass. This is important because (especially in the woods) it is easy to get turned around if you do not know how to use other means of guidance. The best kind is one that hangs around the neck or straps to the wrist so there is no chance of them forgetting it in the tent. Make for sure that everyone keeps their compass and map on them at all times. We wear cargo pants when we camp and we have a specific zip pocket that we keep our compass and map in along with a few other essential items.
    • Know the area... if you have not camped or hiked the area before (or even if you did) it is always best to get information on the area. Plant life, wild life, weather conditions, etc... The more you know the better. That way there are no surprises and you know what items you should take along with you for these situations.
    • Emergency Kit... everyone should have a emergency kit that can fit in their pocket or straps around the waist. The reason for this is that that person may not have their backpack when the emergency occurs. The emergency kit should be part of their daily clothing so to speak. The kit should contain the basic essentials; Safety pins (there are so many things you can use these for including sealing wounds and for fishing hooks), bandages, ointments, needle & thread, Multifunctional knife, and if possible to fit... a small communicator to call for help (look online, they have them now).
    Well that is all I can think on right this moment. There is more of course, but I think I covered the most essential. Safe Camping!

campforums and Northern Dancer like this.
  2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Great ideas @kevinkimers,

Here are some things that we do for interior or canoe camping when there is a group of us.

We have a Trip Master - sort of the agreed on Commander of the Group. [As we say - keeper of the maps.]
    We also have a Safety Officer - the person has to have a First Aid Instructor's Certificate at best or at least a Standard First Aid Certificate with Wilderness training. Though most of us are trained in first aid.

Our emergency kit is a field kit and designed to handle just about anything. We also have added things like crazy glue to seal wounds, face masks, gloves and other stuff that that is recommended in the St. John Wilderness First Aid Manual - we carry that with us as well.

We also developed a plan to avoid duplication of equipment. Before the event the vans are packed (about three days ahead) assuring that the weight factor is divided equally among the group and there is not a mad dash at the start.

Good idea about checking the area again even if you have been there before. Our standard questions are, "What do we need to know about?" and "What's the latest on bears."

3. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Novice Camper

The reason I suggest that everyone has their own gear is you never know what can happen. If you are separated for any reason, the one without the stuff is SOL on survival if they are not found quickly. I've seen it happen to many times before.

4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJUKIJNioC6pcGSHMreVctrU1wtQCyZ8QGCTZVhceU_e8mPjYU.jpg

"The strength of the wolf is the pack and the strength of the pack is the wolf."

Though individual thinking is supported and upheld the group and the function of the same takes precedence. There would have to be a very special or peculiar reason why the group would be separated. The only time I see that ever happening is if it were a matter of safety or an agreed upon separation. An example of that would be a lone night out.

Though we do subscribe to the notion you are responsible for your own equipment then that of the whole group.

It depends, I suppose, on what your practice is and how you manage interior camping when the only people that you can rely on immediately is your group. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted