1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

A floating tent?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Northern Dancer, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

upload_2017-10-12_21-16-41.jpeg

Six inches of air sits between you and the lake’s surface. A third air tube blows up to erect the tent frame. And the whole enchilada inflates with an included foot pump.

You can use the raft portion of the product alone and float around on the lake. But really, it comes into its own unique glory with the tent pitched.

The tent walls and top all attach to the frame with hook-and-loop straps that “stand up to high winds without a problem.” Inside there’s standing room for anyone up to six-feet three-inches, according to SmithFly.

So long as you’re not terrified of lying out in the middle of a deep, dark body of water, the Shoal Tent seems like a delightful way to rock your way to sleep. SmithFly is currently taking orders with plans to start shipping by December.

A night camping literally on the lake isn’t cheap though. The Shoal retails for $1,499, no anchor included.

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

1,500 hundred! Ouch. What if that thing gets a hole in it? You may be going down with the ship.

3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

As you said that so long as you're not terrified of lying out.... surely that's me. I am an adventurer but I wouldn't trust a raft like that which is disguised as a floating tent. Maybe that is nice to use in the open forest because of the space between you and the ground, that 6 inches of air. But I think that floating tent would be a hit with the younger generation here who loves camping anywhere. I know of some young people who pitch camp on the peak. And that is more scary because the peak is just enough for the tent. I'd say it's crazy but young people are naturally that.

4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

upload_2017-10-13_23-37-54.jpeg upload_2017-10-13_23-39-14.jpeg I don't think I could do it either. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted