1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Abandoned island in New York

Discussion in 'United States' started by campforums, Feb 9, 2013.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I came across these images on an image sharing site and thought it was pretty incredible that an island so close to a major city is just sitting unused. The old buildings are very eerie and I'm glad someone decided to check out and share the pictures they took.

http://imgur.com/gallery/J7sv8

2. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

Wow, the room with all the books is fascinating.

I guess it makes sense that it would be expensive to transport building supplies there and if there's no plumbing, that could be a real problem. I'm still surprised there isn't some rich guy who wanted to turn it into his pet project, though.

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I think I remember the problem being that a nearby airport made it a bad spot for residential buildings

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Newbie

The link to the pictures that you posted isn't working so I did a search for an abandoned island in New York.
    Are you talking about North Brother Island, near the Bronx? I saw the photos, and to me the creepiest one is the rusty examination table from the old morgue. The place does have a dark history because of it being a leper colony, and because Typhoid Mary lived there for 30 years, and because it was a forced drug rehab place for juvenile delinquents, but you would think that they could do something with that piece of land besides have armed Coast Guard guys protecting it.
    People who believe in paranormal stuff would probably say it's haunted because of the ship that crashed there and killed 1,000+ people, and the fact that all kinds of people died there of various medical problems.

Draft saved Draft deleted