1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

AbOuT Lists...

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Northern Dancer, May 5, 2016.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTLabJespBkYlNoVn9t5Ev27oyDHZWXMZUlHmKo21tqBlC4MPB.png ABOUT LISTS....

@killeroy154 made an interesting/demonstrated point - lists.

I have a list for every trip I take whether it is for a few days, a few weeks or a month or so. I don't leave home without them. My lists contain - equipment, food, menu plans, clothing, personal items, maps, I.D. information including (if I ever get another one) my dog's medical stuff, and so on.

So...

What do the rest of you folks do? Will you share? - I know that I could benefit from your experience. :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3Bu6Qh-lY81WhhRfaEleZBS-_rr3okX1Sax0jhxOc_D75090XjQ.jpg

2. Faust

Faust Explorer

Lists are good to ensure you don't forget anything, but I stopped making them once I streamlined my stuff (or what some would say once I became a minimalist).
    I have a list for my first aid kit but that doesn't count.. However I will make a list for the meals only because it's easier to plan using the same ingredient(s) for multiple dishes.

3. Northern Dancer

...good point @Faust. When it comes down to it - I really do much the same. So why do I do it then anyway? It's sort of fun and a time filler especially on a cold snowy night in February. It also helps me keep track of the equipment that I have. I boast that I have nine tents...then I discovered another one on the top shelf that I hadn't used for awhile.

4. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I always pack to much food, so this time I am going to stay on the side of a minimalist. I figure bacon, eggs, polish sausage, and about 4 boxes of little Debbies.

Work LeSS CAmp MoRe

5. Northern Dancer

Simplicity? - that is what I need to do. Well...not really :) - I make a task out of everything camping. Here is my list for the first solo trip. Or did I say pamphlet? Done in the wee hours of a February winter morn.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Back Page Front Page

Side_A.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inside Page 1 Inside Page 2

Side_B.jpg

6. Northern Dancer

...I almost forgot - not really. Part of the file? Camp Permit [they fine you if you don't have it.] Also included is a site map with photos, [nothing like canoeing around looking for your campsite], a complete I.D. that includes my photo, medications, contact list. Normally there would be an I.D. for the dog including a picture, rabies certificate, etc. There would be a copy of the float plan left with a contact "in the event I do not get home on time". All neatly packed into a waterproof container.

That should do it. :happy:

:bear: Baden Bears says, "Northern Dancer is always prepared well and he does it so nicely that it doesn't irritate his colleagues."

7. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Nice, is that documentation for one of the groups you are involved with?

8. Northern Dancer

@campforums... The above list is designed for me for the solo canoe trip that I will be taking in June.

Even if I should be involved with a group I still have my personal list. When I'm with a group another list is put together for the entire community. It goes a long way to cut down the superfluous weight - nothing like carting along six hatchets and six of everything else when it is not needed. o_O

9. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

@Northern Dancer, I also like sugar with my coffee, so what do you put the sugar in, and how do you pack it?

Work LeSS CAmp MoRe

10. Northern Dancer

@killeroy154... Good question. :)

Anything that can be broken down and repackaged is done. When possible regular foods stuffs from my super store are purchased and not from outdoor stores. Pan cake mix would be one of those items.

In terms of sugar, *milk, creamer, coffee, tea and such like stuff I put into special containers designed for the same. [Make sure you mark them.]

Sometimes I use instant coffee but more than enough I use perk. All the containers are marked and have enough fill for at least five days. More than five days I go to a bigger container. Most are Nalgene because the lids are secure and prevent any kind of leakage and keep foods dry. I also use the tubes to prevent leakage and mess. Though I'm not opposed to using recycle food containers.

*I use whole powder milk frequently for coffee/tea but do like the powdered creamer. The reason I pack whole milk is because I often need milk to complete a recipe and the whole milk makes it richer. [I found whole milk powder at the Bulk Barn - in our neck of the woods.]

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyjHuyjya-FqwknTyLysnpCdL0qumrKyIM35EKtLpw4sBpBYR8.jpg Nalgene containers come in various sizes.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6zwv8BkcEBp5sAxVE92U56QSMAXKCMu1QMYDkYaQNv8jgMW1Xzw.jpg I use the Humangear Go Toob for jams, butter, ketchup etc.
    A bit expensive I say - but work really well.

The thing about these containers is that you can use them all the time as they are made to last.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRR9-mQunXG2mZV3tMsS8sOZ2CuyBUXkFteIaQ31D4MgGEg3xyF.jpg
    Take the wrapper off when done and use it for any free flowing product like sugar.
    Other food products that come in containers can stay there and washed out later to be used again.

:bear: Baden Bear says, "You get Northern Dancer going and he just doesn't want to stop."

11. Northern Dancer

I got into packaging big time because there is a ban on bottles and cans in Algonquin Park interior. If you are caught with the same there is no warning - you are fined accordingly. I'm glad I did learn packaging actually because there is a whole source of food supply that doesn't come in cans or bottles.

Did you notice that I have corn on the cob down for Supper Two? This is how it comes...

upload_2016-5-10_19-25-39.jpeg
    Cost? $2.00 I know...I know...probably the heaviest food item I pack - but I like it. You could package your own if you plan to have it immediately. As it is this product has months of shelf life. When you are out in the wilds it makes a mighty fine dinner. [Smothered with butter and a tad of salt - yum!]

killeroy154 likes this.
  12. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

So the corn is vaccum packed. That's an awsome idea. Thanks for advice. I have got to get with it and finish my list for trip. Was planning to leave Thursday morning, but had to reschedule till sunday. Looking forward to a couple days of R and R.

Work LeSS CAmp MoRe

13. Northern Dancer

Love to join you...but I have to wait until June [which isn't all that far away]. It begins the camping season for me in earnest. ...I'm just itching to get out there. I can't be any more ready than I am. Accept - I don't have a dog this year...or at least not yet.

Love to see your list AND very definitely any of the photographs you take, there awesome.

14. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

List still in progress, which it will always be. When I started writing a list years ago I was amazed at how much stuff there is. This is the first time I ever made out a food list, and I am amazed at how much thought it took. f12447aff462aa1be510ee1a2def72e9.jpg . I need to make up a first aid kit. I always carried bandaids and such in my backpack for day hikes, but I figured for this trip that involves fishing tackle and moving water that I may need a little more.
    Got the canoe down for first time this year. Usually I would have had it out several times by now. Sucked out cobwebs and dust. Tomorrow I get things together. e95b35973ba5b0ae2d35b1a3f85c4eb4.jpg

So many wonderful places
    So little time

15. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Oh neat, usually for my personal lists they are a lot more.... messy looking :meh:

16. Northern Dancer

List is looking good @killerroy154 - luvs the canoe. I looked at the Mad River canoe and opted for the Souris River Prospector instead. Speaking of canoe - in this neck of the woods it is a legal requirement to wear (which I recommend at all times) a proper whistle and a canoeist must have bailing can and a safety throw rope (other than the painter). I have a yellow waterproof kit that dangles from a thwart that has all the necessary stuff.

Your food lists look great too - my list of course reflects a canoe trip. When I'm at base camp anything goes and I often have a rack of ribs or roasted chicken with baked potato. I've hung a small roast over a small crackling fire or made a magnificent chicken stew in my Can Cooker.

I'm hoping to have my canoe down sometime next week to get it waxed and ready.

It's great fun isn't it?

Don't forget to take those pics and maybe share any trip notes you take. :)

IMG_0407.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted