1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Adventuring along the Tennessee River

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by happyflowerlady, Dec 21, 2014.

1. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

My daughter (Robin the Explorer) cam by yesterday, and brought us her latest driftwood stump. (She and my husband have a plan to make driftwood lamps and furniture, but that is a different story) She asked us if we would like to go along adventuring with her down by the river.
    We all loaded up in the old station wagon, Chipper and Tootsie all excited about their excursion, too, and off we went to the river.
    Way back in the woods, totally overgrown and hidden until youwalked right up to it, was an old, old cemetery. There were some graves with old hanf-carved headstones, some with small markers, and a lot of other places where the ground was sunken in, but with no markers at all.
    When we came home, I started searching to see what I could find out about the graveyard, and was able to locate it on a website that showed all of the old cemetaries in the area. Apparently, this was a "Black graveyard", and probably dtes back to before the Civil War, but there were graves added there up until around 2002.
    Just down about a mile was a lost town called Cottonport, which disappeared shortly after the Civil War, leaving no traces. Around 1960, the new interstate was put in that went through Huntsville, and it right through the Cottonport cemetery; so the remains found there were transported to another cemetery.

It was an interesting afternoon, tromping through the woods, and then down along the edge of the water; and an equally interesting time coming home and researching about the area where we were, and the history of the cemetery.

image.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  2. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

3. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

We also roam and visit old graveyards. We have a lot of Underground Railroad era ones here on both sides of the Ohio River. Heartbreaking to see how many could only make it this far in their escape.

4. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Old graveyards are very interesting to explore, not only the old markers, but as noted above many were from days of slavery and some even along sections of the underground railroad. Our area was in part, part of the underground railroad and often the local quilt clubs recreate the quilts used by the then slaves to show others the route to take and how to know if a house along the way supported the movement or not. For our town's 150th birthday they put such a quilt on display. But back to the subject of old cemeteries often stone markers can be found near where old long forgotten towns used to exist. These old towns are often found when hiking through forests and coming across old hand hewed square or field rock cellars and old bottles or bits of crockery are found.

I once saw an old graveyard in Nebraska where there was a full sized piano craved out of stone on a family plot. I thought that was kind of cool! :)

happyflowerlady likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted