1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Advertising with Romance and Seduction

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Bibsoutdoors, Mar 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I'm curious if anyone else has been lured away from a piece of tried and tested gear? For years I used an MSR Whisper Lite stove and I loved it. Seldom did I ever encounter a problem with it and when I did a simple cleaning using the included port cleaner gave me back a little jet engine. It never failed me in any condition I was out in.

View attachment 3310

I retired early and decided I would spend the remainder of my days in a monastery. I gave everything I owned away. When things I had only dreamed about came to be, I left that way of life and started over.

One of the first things I returned to was camping, that meant I had to purchased new gear. I was seduced by advertising with the Jet Boil Sumo. After all newer is better, right? Well maybe, sometimes, I miss that little stove. I wonder how much longer I'll hold off before replacing the Jet Boil with the Whisper Lite.

It can be a dilemma sometimes between the proven stuff and the new stuff.

How about any of you? Do you let glamour shots of new equipment that promises to be bigger and better take you away from your tried and true?

Bibsoutdoors

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

okay...I'm back. Ya - I hear ya. Did I ever mention that I belong to BSCDA? (Big Spending Camper Dude Anonymous.) Yep. Every new fan dangled piece of anything wets my outdoor appetite.

The MSR and the Jet Boil have a good reputation. I just have trouble with the high cost of some of this stuff.

For tripping I use this -

View attachment 3311

Cost me $19.50. You can get three different sized fuel canisters. I like the canister because you can recycle it. I use the mid size canister for the stove and the big one for the lantern.

Sometimes I use this one for cooking -->

View attachment 3312

It's a little bigger but it can take a bigger pot more easily. I just don't like the propane cylinder.

Madman4800 likes this.
  3. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

I think my first stove was a sterno stove and as far as I can remember that worked pretty good for what it was and it was cheap.

Draft saved Draft deleted