1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

ALAKNAKS and OUTBACKS

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Northern Dancer, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

:peeking:This is an instructional Module

EVERYONE WILL KNOW my stance on "best" tents. There are none. Best is a subjective term. Over the years I've purchased a lot of tents in various sizes and still have nine in my current inventory. Each one meets certain circumstances or situations. For base camp operations I've found that the two tents I use the most are the Alaknaks and the Outback Lodge.

I have three Alaknaks - one summer 10 X 10, one winter 12 x 12 with vestibule, and one 12 X 20 Winter. I have one (though at one time I had three) 8 X 8 Outback Lodge.

upload_2017-8-4_22-40-29.png

As you can see there are three sizes of Alaknaks - two models have a front and back door and all have a stove jack. The did away with the summer one for whatever reason.

So why the Alaknak?
    upload_2017-8-4_22-43-20.png

It has enhanced safety features and user-friendly updates that take it to a whole new level and sports all the room of a traditional wall tent with extra-tall 4-ft. walls for more headroom around the edges. Heavy-duty No. 10 YKK® zippers and inverted T-style door make entering and exiting the tent easy. Plus, it's backed by a screen door, so you can let cool breezes in while keeping bugs out. The rugged, waterproof 250-denier polyester-oxford X-Treme Tent Cloth is highly breathable and UV-resistant and has a high tear strength that resists punctures for lasting reliability. 10 perimeter tent poles and centre support pole add rigidity in high winds, so you can camp comfortably knowing you're protected. The attached awning boasts a frame that comes down from the peak of the tent and directs runoff away from the door for superior protection in the wettest weather. Sidewall condensation vents have hook-and-loop closures all around the perimeter for better ventilation control. Three large multi panel windows each have a zippered cover, a clear vinyl window that zips out of the way and a mesh screen for added ventilation. Also features an angled roof window. The stove jack is covered by a storm flap that rolls down to avoid contact with the piping, so it won't melt the material. The floor has a zip-open panel for safe placement and stove use. The sidewalls have unique fold-down shelves that sport patented cup holders to eliminate spilled beverages and gear pockets to hold gear. Includes 12" steel stakes, guy ropes and a large zip-close storage bag.
    Footprint: 12'L x 12'W.
    Centre ht: 9'8".
    Tent wt: 31 lbs.
    Frame wt: 23 lbs.
    Total stake wt: 13 lbs.

This tent is $900.00 US

The other tent that I've been using for tripping is a lot less expensive and lighter. It would serve well as a base camp tent too. It is about $300.00 range - good price for a solid piece of equipment.

upload_2017-8-4_22-53-8.jpeg

Cabela's Outback Lodge Tent. 144-sq.-ft. floor space and a spacious 9' peak height. . A steel main pole and fiber glass corner poles give the tent strong support. Single-wall design adds storm-ready protection. Centre-pole design promotes quick, easy setup. A 70"H door with awning ensures easy entry and exit. Use the power-port zipper to run an extension cord into tent for power supply. Three 68-denier polyester-tricot mesh windows and roof venting increase airflow. The 210-denier polyester-oxford floor and 75-denier polyester-taffeta walls and ceiling have a 1,500mm waterproof-rating coating. Inside are three storage pockets for gear organization. Reliable YKK® zippers. Includes stakes, guy lines, fabric sticker and bottle of seam sealer.

Those protected door awning is absolutely excellent - one of the better designs. I have often watch the rain. These tents can be put up by one person.

I'm not advocating that this is the tent for you. BUT it is for me for good reasons.

killeroy154 likes this.
  2. You have some nice tents!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

3. Northern Dancer

-----> I've learned over the years to be picky probably because I'm in a position to shop beyond Walmart and your friendly department store. The other reality is there are a whole lot of outdoor stores competing for the buck. We have options and choices now that we have never had in the past. :)

Though one has to watch that one doesn't become ridiculous in one's selection. There are a lot of ratty stuff on the market.

4. You hit the nail on the head. I chose to go with a Kodiak Canvas tent and stalked the internet for the best price, ended up snagging a brand new one on eBay directly from the manufacturer for $100 less and a free footprint to boot. It just took a few m months for the pricing to be what inwas willing to spend.

Also, nothing is worse than buying something then have it fall apart after the first time you use it or before you actually use it thebfirdt time, lol! Research is key in my book and Amazon and online forums are good places to gain some insight and have some veterans share their individual experiences.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

5. Northern Dancer

Right on. Unfortunately I've had to learn the hard way BUT, I did learn. Research. I harp on that a lot. I also promote comparisons AND I always tell people, "Never buy any camping equipment that isn't on sale."

Draft saved Draft deleted