1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Among the Maple Leaves...

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Northern Dancer, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

2hnoym8.jpg

Today by chance I watched a gentle breeze play among the red maple leaves.
    Like petting the fur of a purring calico cat, the wind blew the leaves in but they came bouncing back.
    They seemed to wave to me as I sat on a wooden bench
    and they danced as if they heard a quiet symphony I couldn't hear.
    I believe that it must have been breathtaking for though I couldn't hear,
    I felt the tranquility and calm inspirational music brings.

Midst all the strife in this turbulent world it had a serene effect and nurtured my soul.

Ya...that's it I mused...
    that's what camping is about...
    it's not camping at all,
    it's about living the simple life that enables
    you to feel the unheard symphony.

Northern Dancer
    13th of June 2014

24qsexk.jpg

L_B, happyflowerlady and campforums like this.
  2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Enjoyed reading this very much thank you for sharing it. :)

3. Northern Dancer

Thanks.:) Nice to see you online.

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I didn't know you wrote poetry! :happy:

When I read it, I could really picture the experience mentally very easily.

5. Northern Dancer

Thank you! Occasionally I get a brainy idea - but often loose it as I'm frantically looking for a pen and paper.

6. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

7. campforums

That's a shame, I know that feeling which is why I always keep a notebook with a pen beside my bed for when I think of something as I'm falling asleep (which seems to happen often). Do you write poetry often?

8. Northern Dancer

H.G. Wells - War of the Worlds comes to mind when I see Orson Welles. Long before my time, but his epic radio broadcast actually had people kill themselves because they really thought the world had been invaded.

Thank you! :)

happyflowerlady likes this.
  9. Northern Dancer

Not really. I am in the habit of keeping a journal for the trips and adventures I take. I try to be more descriptive in writing down what I see and feel. On occasion, when I need a spirit boost, I get a tall glass, fill it with ice, pour myself a mazel tov wine [meaning good luck], take a journal from the shelf, blow the dust off, settle into a cozy chair and transport myself back in time. It works for me.

10. campforums

Whenever I read stuff I have written in the past I always marvel at how different it is compared to the way I would have written it now. The actual content is interesting too... I guess haha. I also find that starting to write is the hardest part. Things I write usually start very vague but as I continue writing become very detailed so that the way it ends up is that the first point is only a sentence or two whereas the last point I wanted to describe is a page in length! As I get warmed up to writing I guess it just flows more easily.

I might start doing what you do and recording journals of trips and adventures. Lots of people keep photo albums but I think both are good at different things and each have their own strengths and weaknesses.

11. Northern Dancer

Getting started is always difficult for me too. Sometimes I just jot ideas down and fill in the details later. Most of my journals have photos but I really try to write the spirit if I can. Since I'm really writing for self and the satisfaction I derive I don't worry about form or correctness or even try to be eloquent - its just a fun thing.

Here is a thought that I wrote during a winter storm

The winter fights to survive
    but the Summer waited patiently.
    Stretching his mouth involuntarily
    and yawning through his
    drowsiness he glanced over to Spring.
    She smiled back and with a twinkle in her eye
    waited unwearingly to chase away Ice and Snow.

Summer waited too...the Winter Wonder knew
    the domination would soon be over.
    He secretly prepared to leave
    Wolves Gate County
    and head for his annual escape to
    the Arctic depths.
    But he would return...

L_B and campforums like this.
  12. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Excellent work - I have to say that because not only is it good, but seeing as I can't write poetry anymore I have a greater appreciation for it now. Here is hoping you have more to share with us in the future.

13. Northern Dancer

Thanks. We haven't seen you in awhile - I like your style and hope to read more about your experiences and the adventures you have.

1zvb9y0.jpg and I hope you get a chance to do the same. ND

14. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Yeah... it has been a while, but honestly - this site kind of dies sometimes and then it's like I'm playing tag by myself... and that's just kind of sad. So yeah. Still I'll try to be more active around here in the future.

15. Northern Dancer

Good to hear that - perhaps you can liven things up a bit with your insights. :) I can play tag too!

I'm headed out for my annual camping and canoeing escapade beginning Monday and will be back at the end of July to pay bills and get more supplies. I'm planning to take a lot of pictures and write stuff down so I have something more interesting to share with our Camping Babblers.

16. 2sweed

Gosh, we will miss your informative lively chatter, as well as your poetry and wonderful sense of humor. Always makes me smile when I see your online here. :)

17. Northern Dancer

Thank you! I started packing Monday and I can't believe that I have forgotten anything...but I usually do. I now have a rule that if I have forgotten something I don't purchase a new item - I just make do with what I have. Do you have any idea how many can openers I have? :(

18. 2sweed

Think of it this way for a emergency at home you have one for every room in the house. You won't have to search very far to find one. o_O:rolleyes::happy:

19. Northern Dancer

"This is true!" I can also share with the whole neighbourhood.

It was sunny in our neck of the woods today and I hope you experienced the same.

20. 2sweed

It was a warm sunny day. Got all my errands done, as well as, the lawn mowed. It is suppose to be nice the next few days, maybe I can just relax and enjoy the view. Well maybe after the housework is done. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted