1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Among the Maple Leaves...

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Northern Dancer, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

The secret is to MAKE TIME FOR SELF even when we say we don't have any time. And true...there is always something that needs our attention. Sometimes we just forget that we need attention too.:(

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

You are right on that. I spend so much time making sure mom is okay and safe, her needs are met that my needs run far below on the to-do list. But i will be resting the next day or so. And doing a bit of fun cooking as well, it is one of my hobbies. Of course gardening and outdoors is first.

What is your second best hobby? We already know your first. :)

3. Northern Dancer

It's probably not really a hobby - but I like sharing my camp knowledge and skill, especially with younger people. I use to think that everyone knew what I knew - but apparently that isn't true. I do a camp skills program for 10 to 14 year old campers at Camp Wendake. If they finish the program they get a certificate and a crest. Often we will have an overnight camp out. I also have a lot of other programs that I'm very much involved in. One of them is the Care Givers Program for end of Life and I also instruct Benedictine Meditation to name a few.

campforums likes this.
  4. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

And i thought my life was busy. at least your doing important programs that help lots of young people, as well as, others. And I can tell you must enjoy what you do. By the way how is Reese doing? Hope he is staying out of trouble. :rolleyes:

5. Northern Dancer

I do enjoy what I do!

Reese? He knows something is up and lingers around the van each day as I pack something new. The first item is his bed - as soon as he sees that going into the van he knows we are headed north. He's been vet checked, has all his needles up-to-date; we have packed his flea stuff, shampoo [and skunk shampoo], his personal items, toys, food, towel and blanket,
    safety vest etc. He is as much outfitted as I am. :)

6. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Definitely looking forward to seeing those pictures. That is one long trip, I don't suppose you would mind sharing your trip itinerary? I am planning on having a trip soon and looking for ideas.

7. Northern Dancer

Sure.

I have a base camp at Haliburton Forest Reserve on McDonald Lake. [I continue to explore the trails and routes there.] From base camp I'm out to Algonquin for short trips of two or three nights or so. We tend to start off from Canoe Lake - either side of the 69. A good idea is to purchase an Algonquin Trip Map. [If you don't already have one.] You can get them locally - probably at MEC or some other outdoor store. As well as having the routes and the distances for portages etc. they have some sound planning tips and suggestions too. The Algonquin online site has all kinds of information including the prices and whatever bans are in place. [There is a permanent ban on cans and bottles in the interior.] I've always enjoyed Burnt Island Lake as one of my favourites. It all depends on how much time you have and how far you want to go.
    Opeongo Lake is the biggest of course - I tend to stay away from this one unless you know where you are going. The two canoeists who died in May have not been found yet.

If you are planning to use a corridor camp ground my favourite is Tea Lake - the smallest of the camp grounds. Great place for launching out on day time canoe trips. [Algonquin will even deliver a canoe to the camp ground.] They put in a new indoor washroom facility. My best site is 40 - hard to get sometimes. My next choice would be Cannisbay Lake. BUT it is whatever turns you on. The great thing about Algonquin is the number of attractions and possibilities. Once you have paid your fee all the rest of the activity is free including the museums, use of trails, the beaches and the like. A great place actually. Reservations are a good thing to do.

Don't like the cost of the fire wood as they have a total monopoly on the price.

I'll be on Raven Lake [into Gun] early August with friends. It's off Highway 35 [toward Dorset]. It is part of the Haliburton Waterway Tails System. I don't know what kind of experience you and your friends enjoy most but this is the best tripping area for the least cost. The campsites tend to be far and few in between and I like the relaxed atmosphere. I favour Sherbourne Lake [the road to get to it is pure hell], and Red Pine Lake; [The camp sites are closed this year for rest I think.] but all the area is great. Check it out - Haliburton Waterway Trails. They have good pictures and descriptions of their sites [better than Algonquin]. Oh...another thing...if you are going into the Waterway Trails I'd take a toilet seat since the thunder boxes are bare. If you should land at a site that has a toilet seat fixed thereto, check underneath and look for a "BM"-that will mean I've placed it there. When I'm with a group we tend to take a portable toilet seat into uncharted areas - keeping in mind the no trace theory.

Is this any help?

8. campforums

Your base camp sounds like a great idea if you want to extend your trip as long as possible. How are you able to keep your stuff for there for months on end while you're out on other excursions?

Thanks for the detailed reply, that is great. I was actually checking out the map online, but I also found the descriptions they had of each site very helpful. We haven't quite decided which type of campground we want to go to yet but I am pretty sure we do not want to go to one of the developed camp sites. I would prefer a place with some more isolation and solitude. I was especially looking at the Ranger Cabins which looked really neat or if those aren't available, a tent is no problem either. Especially since I don't think we'll be doing any canoeing this time around so it would be okay not to have those facilities.

Speaking of reservations, one thing I need to know is how hard is it typically to get a reservation this time of year? How far in advance would you say you have to book it with park services? Or does it vary too much to be able to give an answer?

Anyways, it sounds like you'll be spending all summer camping so we will not be seeing much of you here on Camping Babble :(

9. Northern Dancer

Before I leave....

I haven't had any trouble leaving things behind at a base camp. I do pack some things away and take items that are an easy grab. I haven't had any trouble.

It seems to me that Algonquin might be a best bet though there are other provincial parks in the area - Parks Ontario have a main site and will have them listed for you. You can book up to five months before arriving at your destination. The sooner the better as it gives you an opportunity to select the better camp sites. My practice has been to go after the weekend and leave before the weekend - better choice and less people of course. If you select a campsite explore the other areas and make notes of the better ones for your next trip out.

The Algonquin site will list all the corridor camps including the rangers cabins and yaks. Algonquin and other parks are now into tiered pricing. The better the site the more it costs. Though the cost includes three people and you can put up a shelter and tent.

I've always enjoyed Algonquin because you get more bang for the buck.

See you in August. jt2mtg.jpg

10. Northern Dancer

- The Moose Came Out to Play -

Summer seemed so far away with ice and cold and snow.
    And I never thought that I would see the day
    when the moose would appear and play.
    All seemed so dull and grey, and hills and skies seemed dead,
    when suddenly summer sun came dancing;

and the moose came out to play.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_PIoahHg5TcDJ5OoVDXYuGn8zDPPXAyCfnxmdYANdbDqHqoof7g.jpg

NORTHER DANCER JUNE 2015

L_B, campforums and happyflowerlady like this.
  11. campforums

I like the cadence of that one :)

12. L_B

L_B Explorer

Very nice and thank you for sharing. You definitely have a talent when it comes to writing poetry. It is very descriptive and very well written. I look forward to reading more of your work!

campforums likes this.
  13. William

William Novice Camper

Very nice! Thumbs up!

14. Northern Dancer

Thanks for the comments folks - appreciated. So...is there something that you can contribute - perhaps you have read something that would be of interest to the group.

15. Northern Dancer

2mhgbyh.jpg

I climbed that brazen boulder today and sat upon its hub.
    I searched the skies for interesting stuff
    and searched the grounds beneath.
    "What I'm I doing here," I thought,

the fun is over there.
    Down I slid and joined the group
    and said bye to boulder bluff.

16. Northern Dancer

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTi7r2qOktxzsKMjUvWo-YgK3Mam6LRSFOtkL0By4TMcXzSyP6f.jpg

I laid upon a picnic table
    late one summer's eve.
    And peered through the pines