1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Anchor That Tent

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by 2sweed, Mar 11, 2014.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Many times tents have been known to have blow away in the wind do to not being anchored properly or because the ground was to hard or too sandy to hold the tent pegs tight in the ground. This tip is for anchoring a tent in sand, although, it would work well in most any soil that can be dug into. Take 4 metal pie tins and drill a hole through them. Knot the guy rope through the pie tin hole and bury the pie tin two feet down in the sand. This will keep a tent securely fastened in the strongest of winds.

In the old days we always carried long metal tent stakes to hold down our canvas tents, and to be secure that the tent would remain pitched right. But now-days with lightweight tents and often plastic stakes tents can be held at the whim of the wind. If backpacking the added weight might be to much for normal conditions, but if your camping on sand, then this idea may be worth trying.

Any comments are welcome.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Another great idea that I hadn't thought of. Yes - I use the 12 inch steel spike at base camp. I even have four that are 24 inches long. I'm okay with that arrangement at base but your suggestion for sand and using on a trip is great. Every time I get a new tent or something else that stakes down the first thing I do is throw out the pegs and replace the guy lines with better material. Thanks again!

3. 2sweed

Here are a few other ways to anchor your tent. Tie the end section of guy wire that has a loop attachment above the ground, to a section of log, or a large stone, or two crossed sticks that are bound together, then bury it under ground. Don't tie tent guy lines directly to the deadman object, as a hard surface freeze or an emergency, could prevent you from releasing your guy wire from the log or (deadman) as the anchor is known by. In the winter tamp the snow down firmly with your boot after anchoring your tent under ground. This insures that high winds will not blow your tent away.

4. 2sweed

Be sure to check the wind when pitching your tent. One side of the tent should face the prevailing wind. If there is snow on the ground pack snow around the sides of your tent to keep out drafts. Pay attention to the trees as well, and don't pitch your tent under any type of tree like firs or spruces, etc.. as the accumulated snow could drop onto your tent when the load gets to heavy and that could rip or flatten your tent depending on the amount and weight of the snow.

5. Northern Dancer

Paying attention to the trees is important. I'm always surprised when campers fail to look up. Dead trees are called widow makers.

6. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Would the pie tin trick also work in loose earth do you think?

I personally would rather just get some long sturdy metal stakes like you mentioned. That actually reminds me something I need to get because as of now I just have the junky plastic ones.

7. Northern Dancer

The stakes that I use are 12 and 24 inch steel. I give the plastic ones away to the weekend campers. True I don't take them into the interior.

8. 2sweed

Personally I too prefer the long sturdy metal stakes, but I think the metal pie pan would work in loose soil if it were buried deep enough. Sandy soil is always somewhat damp and heavy and packs around objects. The same might be true of loose soil. Be worth testing it to see. :)

9. Northern Dancer

Actually...it is always wise to have more than one method. Winter snows can present some challenges as well as hardend ground cover. And once [and only once] my colleague forgot to pack any kind of stake. Need is the Mother of Invention...as they say :( .

10. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

@Northern Dancer, what did he end up doing without stakes? I assume he must have secured it somehow by tying it to a tree or using heavy rocks?

Always on the lookout for clever new ideas ;)

11. Northern Dancer

That is exactly what we did, used rocks - or rather he did. Since he caused the problem the group agreed that it was his responsibility to correct it. Well he spent time down by the river collecting flat rocks for three tents the rest of us set up camp and got supper going. Probably not clever - but it did the trick.

On occasion I have been short [never sure why that would happen] and I would simply get the handy knife and cut a downed branch that had a crotch in it. Worked just fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted