1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Animal Encounters On The Trail

Discussion in 'Nature' started by 2sweed, Apr 19, 2013.

Tags:
  1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Often times we hear about hikers and campers, having run in's with wild animals on the trail or in a campground. Have you ever had an encounter that left a lasting impression on you? This encounter can be a very good one or one that you would never wish to experience again. Any and all are welcome here.

All of the encounters I experienced were good ones. I met deer with baby fawns and saw a groundhog laying up on a tree limb. I saw a large black bear cross a field and meadow. I have walked into a woodland clearing into the mist of a floak of turkeys that were so busy eating they did not notice me for several minutes, then once over the shock of seeing me there they flew away.

I have seen bobcats and porcupines, opossum and squirrals, otters and raccoons, owls and hawks. I have been very lucky to never encounter rattlesnakes or skunks, when out in the woods.

Now it's your turn to share about any animals you have seen and any stories about those encounters you might like to share with the rest of us.

2. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Snakes (some very large), deer, herons, cranes, pelicans, skunks, one mountain lion, several bears, moose, badger, wild hogs, and far too many wolves. Seriously... why do I keep running into freakin' wolves?! I'd honestly prefer coyotes - they tend to be cowards.

3. Spent 4 days hiking the Wild Rogue Wilderness Loop Trail in Oregon a couple weeks ago. Along the way, we encountered this critter. I apologize for the focus - I was shooting flowers and my depth of field was too small. Anyway, it's a California Mountain King Snake - a non-poisonous constrictor that has been known to eat rattlesnakes. Some of our group spotted a rattlesnake - but I was too far behind to get a pic of it. The trail is shown on the attached PDF. It's on the Rogue River
    between Agness, Oregon, USA and Galice, Oregon USA.
    CAKingsnake.jpg

Attached Files:

happyflowerlady likes this.
  4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

The only dangerous animals here are the wild boar which is rare now. When in the wilderness, snakes are the most dangerous but they are not predators of humans. When walking in a trail, a walking stick can prevent an encounter with snakes. It's ironic that my encounter with a big snake occurred in our backyard. Fortunately for me, I had seen it at once.

5. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...the most dangerous animal in the world are humans.

6. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

IMG_1156.jpg

I met this guy on my path. What do you think? Stand my ground or move over?

image.jpg

No contest with this guy!

7. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

We don't have moose down here, but we did have them when I lived in North Idaho. If a moose was crossing the road, all traffic coming and going stopped and waited until the moose finished crossing the road !
    Moose seem not to be afraid of humans for the most part, nor cars either; and if they are in your path they are not going to move until they are ready to move.
    I remember coming home late one night, barely awake enough to drive since it had been an hours long trip back home from the west coast, and sometime around 3 in the morning, I came upon an enormous moose standing in the middle of the highway.
    My car was small, and my first perception was just of very long legs right in front of me, and then when I looked higher, I could see the rest of the moose towering over the little car. I had to stop and wait for him to finish looking around and then he strolled on down the road and off into the woods.
    I was very alert the rest of the way home after that encounter !

Draft saved Draft deleted