1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Animal Rescue Certification

Discussion in 'Nature' started by TabithaW, Feb 16, 2013.

1. TabithaW

TabithaW Newbie

I have been rescuing animals all my life. Mostly stray cats and dogs but there has been the occasional turtle, lizard, squirrel and assorted birds. I think it is time for me to actually get certified and get some proper training. Is anyone her certified? I just wonder what the best way to approach it would be. I am in Texas.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

You mean like pet adoption? I know a few people who have brought home abused dogs and lost cats.

What does getting certified do for you, are you trying to get involved an organization or something?

3. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Newbie

The only certificate that I can think of would be for a vetrenarian assistant. Local community colleges do offer certificate programs. And some even offer a 2 yr program for an associates degree. This would be an awesome career to get into. But I know as far as Michigan goes. There is not a high demand for this profession. But follow your dreams if this is really your passion.

4. bluemoonmama

bluemoonmama Newbie

I think you mean licensed for wildlife rehabilitation? If so then google for wildlife rehab places in your area - you may just want to volunteer with one of them or talk to them about what they did to get licensed. In our area you have to be licensed to keep raptors, bobcats, coyotes, any number of wild animals. You can also do a google search on exactly what you need to get licensed, but I definitely recommend talking to and spending time with someone that does this on a regular basis.

5. TabithaW

TabithaW Newbie

Bluemoon, I have been doing wildlife rehab, probably all my life. I even have local, rural shelters call me when they get orphaned squirrels, bunnys, etc. I just wanted to make it legal with the state of Texas. It is illegal to posses (even short term) any native/game animal without certification. This would include raptors, bobcats, coyotes, as you mentioned but also squirrels, possums, native birds and most any other native animals that is not either domestic or farm.

I know what I need to do, I was just looking for feedback from people who may have already become certified. Like anything else, there are good school/training programs/apprentice programs and the not so good. I don't want to spin my wheels in a sub par program.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_br_w7000_0694.pdf

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    bluemoonmama likes this.
  6. TabithaW

TabithaW Newbie

Erik, The certification related to native game animals such as squirrels, racoons, roadrunners, foxes, etc. ; any animals native to your area that is not domestic, exotic, or farm. It allows you to posses. rehab. and release them back into the wild. In TX, without a legal certification it is illegal to interfere with the course of nature.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  7. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Have you asked any of the local centers about this? Not what you need to do, but rather what local programs are worth the time and effort in doing. I mean most of them have to be certified so they should know - right? I wish I could help more, but certification isn't really a thing over this way.

8. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Oh, in that case it certainly makes sense that they require certification. I certainly wouldn't know what I was doing rehabilitating injured animals, not to mention spotting signs of diseases that many animals carry.

Draft saved Draft deleted