1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Annual Inventory ^^^^^ -->

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Northern Dancer, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

The summer camping season is over. :( BUT winter and spring are on the way. Each year at this time I take stock and revise my inventory. This year it is three pages long. Dunno - what does that say about my social life? Anyway, it is the time that I give stuff away, look at what new purchases I'd like to make for next season [budgeting for the same] or move equipment that is past it's prime. I clear the shelves of mismatched items, throw out used containers and clean the place up. I'm always amazed at how things look when the shelves are in order. Last year I lowered my tent inventory considerably and there were some people happy that I did that. I have an abundance of camp signs that I have made over the past few years and haven't decided to cut them up for firewood or just throw them out. It's a good exercise.

So...what is on the list to purchase? Not much actually. Fire starters [I usually use Zip]. I've already purchased a new winter sleeping bag [-15]. I want to pick up two new kitchen shelter side walls [and decorate them], I've got so many socks that I can't close the door - I'll toss them and start new. Other than that, unless I'm tempted by some new-fangled item, nothing.

Does anyone else do this sort of thing?

alaknak_in_the_snow.jpg
    Winter...just a snowflake away.
    Winter Alaknak with Vestibule

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

I envy your capacity and capabilities in camping. I have the impression that you are a very serious camper as if it is your life. You spend a lot for the equipment just like car lovers who buy expensive car accessories. If only I could visit your place I'm sure I will have a grand time not exactly with a camping trip but just to see your equipment and camping gear.

3. Northern Dancer

Thank you @Alexandoy. It does take up a healthy chunk of life. I'm able to do that because of the vocation that allows me to take time away. It sort of grows on you in many ways. Like friendly familiar situations the lifestyle constantly calls me back - and I go.

Liz_simmons707 and Alexandoy like this.
  4. Northern Dancer

IMG_1312.jpg

Day is Done

killeroy154 likes this.
  5. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

For sure, out with the old and in with the new. I was just in the basement clearing space, and I was amazed with the old worn out power tools I had laying around taking up space. My camping stuff is the same way. What the old stuff we accumulate and don't get rid of, when it's past its time and function, is it prevents us from improving and up grading our equipment, and most times what we can improve on makes us happy and keeps our creativity juices flowing.

So when you finally break down and want to get rid of that Alaknak tent, let me know and I'll send you my address. Ha ha

6. Northern Dancer

I'll put you at the top of the list. I found that my Alaknaks were one of the best choices I made for a lot of reasons. And you are right...we sure do accumulate a lot of stuff.

killeroy154 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted