1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Any a season is a good season for camping.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bibsoutdoors, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

2. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

Best time laps ever.

Sent from my E39 using Tapatalk

Bibsoutdoors and dads318is like this.
  3. dads318is

dads318is Novice Camper

Its got everything

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  4. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

It's missing one thing me and my tent.

Bibsoutdoors and dads318is like this.
  5. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Novice Camper

I think the best time for camping is during spring or autumn. I really don't like going camping during summer since it's really hot especially not during winter.

6. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Jasmin Cottontail, it's awesome that we have choices, especially when the breadth of choices encompass what we enjoy doing! There are lots of advantages to Spring and Autumn camping! The thing I hear you saying the loudest is this; "I'm out there and I'm doing it!" No better words can be spoken! Spring is knocking hard at the door. . .I hope you will share with us your experiences this year. After all, there is no such thing as a hum drum camping experience. How does that old saying go? "The worst day camping is better than the best day at nearly anything else." Well I may not have stated it correctly, but you get the idea. We hope to hear from you again soon!

Bibsoutdoors

7. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

I do prefer spring and autumn my as well. I'm from South Carolina and now live in Minnesota so the summer here is much cooler so the heat doesn't slow me down much. My first trip is early May with Scouts and I can't wait. I will be sure to post pics for you guys and gals.

dads318is likes this.
  8. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Madman4800, I live next door to you in Wisconsin, our weather is pretty much comparable. How long have you lived up here? Do you plan on any four season camping? I was up in northern Minnesota for the Frozen Butt Hang. A bunch of hammock campers get together and challenge the cold. Temps got down to -19°F. THAT challenges your gear. I guess it was fun, I still have to think about that though! Would love to hear more about your camping experiences.

Bibsoutdoors

9. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

Hi neighbor. I have been here for 17 years and love it. I would be interested in doing some winter camping but lack the gear for now. The family and I have been up and down the MN WI border camping. We have spent most of that time on the north shore from Duluth to Tofte. This past summer we spent a week in Yellowstone. The Butt Hang sounds like fun except for the -19.

Many years ago when I was in Scouts we did a lot of backpacking in NC, GA, and TN. We also spent a few weeks at the Grand Canyon. Hiking in the canyons is an amazing experience and everyone should put that on there bucket list. I will post some stories at some point. Its hard to choose favorites as they were all awesome even when there where bad experiences. I guess those are the ones we learn the most from.

More to come.

dads318is and Bibsoutdoors like this.
  10. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

LACK OF GEAR,

That's perfect Madman. The initial cost of winter camping is a fair amount for decent gear. I do know that there are many places in Mn. that rent gear. You can have your cake and eat it to. Rent the gear, try winter camping, if it's for you great, if not, your out rental fees and some time. I'm surprised that the scouts haven't "harassed" you into going out for a winter camp. Well all things to their season. If you will you will and if not, nothing hurt. I guess the colder months just seem to out weigh the nicer months so I get out when ever I can. I do fall victim to the sun often. Example, today the sun is shining brightly off the snow, not much for wind, just a breeze and I look out the window at it and just want to throw somethings into my car and go. Then I take my dog out and find out the temperature is 19°F with a feels like of 9°F and I think, this may take a little more planning! I think about it now and conclude that that darn old sun has pulled this trick on me many times over the years! I believe that old saying about not being able to teach an old dog new tricks was meant for me! Ha ha. Cheers 7bc4b370ebcd017bb9096a095e369a63.jpg

Bibsoutdoors

Attached Files:

11. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

I like the thought of rental gear I will have to look into that and I do like my cake. Spring is just around the corner so I guess winter camping will have to wait. I think it is supposed to be close to 50 this weekend. Yippee!!! Perfect for putting a fuel pump in my truck. I think I'm going to try the 12 month challenge so that will give me time to get my winter gear. As for the sun it gets me every time.

Draft saved Draft deleted