1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Anyone built their own boat?

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by R. Zimm, Mar 13, 2013.

1. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

Over the years I have seen some really interesting web sites on boat building, both from scratch and from kits. I can't do it now, too little room, but in the future I would love to try it.

Anyone ever built a boat, no matter how small? Tell us about it!

2. lindsay365

lindsay365 Newbie

I once built a boat from crude materials when I was 16. We had a dam in our farm so I wanted to try moving on water as I rowed myself from one end to another. I never had any manual then, I just used the basic principle that i should use floaters to float myself on water. I made it from plastic jerrycans joined together to create a large floater. It only worked once. Actually, I almost sank when some of the parts got detached due to my weight. Luckily I was close to the other side of the dam so I just jumped off. If you think you can built a boat, think twice. It is never as easy as it looks on those videos

3. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

If you are going to build your own boat make sure you have the resources and space to do so. For example if you wanted to make a raft you are going to need some very buoyant logs that don't have alot of major splits in them. You are going to need something to bind them that can handle the weight and getting the bindings wet won't weaken it.

4. CampAllDay

CampAllDay Newbie

I've always been into DIY but I've never thought of making a boat, it would scary in my opinion.

When it comes to wood, i don't usually mess with it because I'm afraid of something breaking or snapping.

5. Angelle

Angelle Newbie

No, I have never built a but before, and never have I come close to doing it. I don't think that I would trust myself to built one. I always think about the negatives such as, what if the boat sinks because I didn't erect it properly. Things like that scare me so I 'd rather purchase. However, I do think that building a boat would be a fun family task; I think I may try that. it wouldn't hurt to give the boat a test in a small pull or something to ensure everyone's safety.

6. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

7. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

I wouldn't trust myself honestly. If I needed to, I would find a nice sturdy thing that floats because I can't tie knots / work with wood well; it would fall apart.

8. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

It depends on what you mean by boat - I can do rafts, but I can't do dugouts or sailing boats or anything. I would need more than a video by some dude - I'd need actual hand-on training from a qualified expert.

9. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Well if you did have the skill to make boats you could make quite a bit of money and even turn the hobby into a profession. Hand crafted canoes and kayaks for for several thousand dollars each.

Draft saved Draft deleted