1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Anyone else eating rabbit?

Discussion in 'Food' started by Esperahol, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I like to hunt especially when camping - so something that I found myself eating a lot of while roughing it is rabbit which is easy to trap and even easier to shoot. I enjoy rabbit, but I know it isn't for everyone. Anyone else like it?

2. Norrwen

Norrwen Newbie

Yep, rabbit is a great survival food. Even a great food to eat in a restaurant, although in the wilderness of course it's not prepared the same way.

3. TABL

TABL Explorer

I have never had rabbit! We don't hunt, and I've never thought to try it at a restaurant. I'm not even sure I've ever seen it on the menu?

4. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

You do have to make sure your are taking game legally in that area, especially if you are not in a true survival situation. I can see how that would add to the enjoyment of your camping. Like catching your fish and eating them.

5. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

The thing is if you're in the middle of nowhere it generally isn't that serious a deal. And of course, if there is an overpopulation of the little vermin even in the wrong location it tends not to be an issue. That said I have permits for rabbit hunting and it isn't like I'm going to be parading around my kills.

6. Kodaks

Kodaks Newbie

The last time I had rabbit was a long time ago. If I remember correctly, I would consider it to be the most tender of game - almost a little chewy? I'm sure it all depends on how it was prepared.

7. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

I understand, Esperahol, I was just mentioning it for benefit of others that may not be familiar with hunting regulations. The last thing you want to happen as you get ready to eat your roasted rabbit is for a game officer to show up, give you a ticket for hunting w/o a license or out of season AND take your meal as "evidence!"

8. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Oh, I wasn't upset I was just letting you know that it generally isn't an issue. The point is to walk so far out of the way that the environment around you will act as an early alert system. It also helps if you bring something else with you to act as a cover story.
    "Why officer I was totally cooking bacon - delicious bacon that happens to smell a bit like rabbit."

9. Pzula

Pzula Newbie

I have hunted and ate a rabbit once. I didn't like the taste. It was very crunchy and unpleasing. I doubt I'll be hunting rabbit again. The only time I would eat rabbit again is if it was the only source of food I could find at the given time.

10. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Pzula.... rabbit isn't supposed to be crunchy. It can be a bit gamy, but it is generally a very pleasant experience and a couple will make a very nice bit of stew. Maybe it was the way you cooked it?

11. Foster

Foster Newbie

Nope. Why should I try it?

12. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Because it is delicious, free, and I enjoy hunting. That last point is of course the most absolutely important one and don't let anyone tell you differently.

13. joker

joker Newbie

I honestly never went for camping but I'm interested in going so I haven't eaten a Rabbit yet.

14. Toxique

Toxique Newbie

Nope not at all, I would never eat something that is so cute lol

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Newbie

I can't say that I would never eat rabbit, because you never know what'll happen in a life and death situation. But I wouldn't intentionally set out to eat rabbit because I think they're cute and I'm not a hunter. I don't judge you for eating rabbit because it's meat and people eat all sorts of animals. I personally just hope things never get so desperate that I have to eat a rabbit because I think of them as pets, not a food source. Even wild rabbits are cute.

16. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Dogs are pets too as are horses, but people still make a point of eating them. I don't eat dogs... and haven't eaten horse that often. Kangaroos are awesome however as are bisons. As for cuteness - I don't generally find rodents cute which is fine considering how viciious and creepy rodents generally are. Besides which I do find lambs and calfs, but I love eating lambchops and veal. I'm an awful person you understand?

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Newbie

I don't think you're an awful person. Everyone just has their own line or threshold for what they do and don't feel okay eating. I don't eat lamb ,veal, rabbits or puppies or horses, or Bambi. But there are people out there who would think I'm a scumbag for eating cows and pigs.

I'm not telling you not to eat rabbits, just stating that they're on the list of animals I don't see as food/prey for myself.

We all have different ideas of what we see as cuddly pets and what we see as a food source.

18. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Ah, that's fine. I was just continuing the conversation. I don't eat Bambi myself... not until he has a good sized rack. Vension is awesome!

19. wilbo

wilbo Newbie

I once ate guinea pig, I'm told they taste fairly similar to rabbits. I shot it with a bb gun, poor thing didn't have a chance. Survived on just guinea pig and my own piss for a week..but it wasn't all that bad. Now I breed guinea pigs for a living, also; they make for tasty treats once in a while.

20. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I have never eaten guinea pig... what does it taste like? And exactly where does one find them in the wild? Also where exactly were you at that you needed to live off urine and guinea pigs.

Draft saved Draft deleted