1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Anyone else enjoy Pemmican?

Discussion in 'Food' started by HikingHans, Mar 8, 2014.

1. HikingHans

HikingHans Novice Camper

Hello all. A while back I was introduced to this Native American food that is rich in proteins and fats. Some variants have fruit in them as well. The taste, well, takes some getting used to. However, I've found it to be a good energy source for when hiking. Note there are some products labeled Pemmican that aren't the actual food type, but you can find the real item with a bit of look. Fortunately, where I live, there is a good source for them.

Anyway, I am just curious if others have tried this and how it worked out for you. Thanks much. :)

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I think that it's originally a Cree dish and I know that it means fat or grease but I've never tasted it. But...it gives me a challenge to put it on my - Let's try a new food - list.

Thanks!

3. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

My understanding of it from what I have read is that the Indians made Pemmican, by pounding berries into meat and before drying and smoking it on wooden racks over a low fire or bed of coals. The melted fat was added after the meat was dried. I have never eaten any of it myself.

http://books.google.com/books?id=nH...I&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=pemmiam&f=false

Dictionary of Americanism , Page 315, at the bottom of page.

4. Northern Dancer

I suppose that Pemmican is liken to the French coureur des bois [runners of the wood] bannock - an unleavened native bread that can be cooked and eaten quickly. I make it on a regular basis - simple ingredients, no refrigeration, and actually quite good. I cheat and use it as a foundation for making pizza in my cast iron skillet.

I'm going to make some enquiries about Pemmican and give it a try. :finger:

If you haven't tried it here is the rock bottom recipe for bannock. [No other additions, though you can it you want; best to get the basics down first if you haven't done it before.]

Medium Serving - one person [Easily packed into baggies for on the trail or for the camp site cooking.]

1/2 Cup of regular flour [or you can use whole wheat or a mixture of the same.]
    1/8 teaspoon of salt
    1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
    1/2 tablespoon of white or brown sugar
    Thats it...

Instructions

Make sure all the ingredients are well mixed in a bowl.
    Add small amounts of water and mix well until you have a sticky ball.
    Place the ball into the middle of a heated greased pan and pat down to the size of a thick pancake.
    When the grease [butter or margarine] is bubbling at the ends turn over and cook the other side.
    The bread should be a golden brown.

Eat with jams or peanut butter or just plain butter.

I often roll the bannock into a snake like formation and wind it around a stick and place it near an open fire. It works well too.

You can try this recipe at home.

KEEP THE CAMPFIRE BURNING

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  5. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

It's a bit of an acquired taste and I don't have the liking for it. I wished I did, but it just isn't in the cards for apparently. That said it seems to be a pretty good choice for those who can't do carbohydrates versus protein.

6. Northern Dancer

7. Northern Dancer

I learned today that MANITOU PEMMICAN COMPANY makes a Bison Pemmican. [$3.75 Canadian and it can be found at MEC,]

I'm going to assume that if we can get in Canada there will be other manufacturers in other communities/countries that will be making the same product.

1z1sc3t.jpg

8. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I'll admit Pemmican is something new to me that I haven't heard of, but from what I've read just now online it is quite a good camping food. The meat is dried so it doesn't go bad and is sort of like an olden day slim jim, haha. Although it doesn't look too tasty... I will still give it a try this summer on my next outing.

pemmican.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted