1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Anyone use a sleeping pad?

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by campforums, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I did that once (and only once). Oh...sorry...twice...I had to make a bed during one of the courses that I took. On the one occasion I brought a sleeping bag insert and filled it with pine branches and leaves. It wasn't bad accept that it took a fair chunk of time to fill it. It also occurred to me that I was doing damage to my immediate environment.

The reality is that there are numerous pads, mattresses and contraptions that one can purchase. I have four different types of pads - all of them are good and easy to manage. I did purchase an air mattress - so much for that - it went to the land fill after deflating which inflated my anger.

Shop carefully though, as a lot of that stuff is very much over priced and a money maker for the manufacturer. :finger: Same rule applies - how often will I use it, when will I use it, under what conditions and circumstance AND how much do I want to spend? They are just waiting for you.

Did anyone see or hear about the guy who dug a shallow pit, built a fire until there were red coals, then cover it with the earth that he dug up and laid down his ground cover and put his sleeping bag over top?

Alas - that's just to much work for me. :(

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Aren't you worried that the pine needles will poke you or even puncture the bottom of your tent (depending on the material)?

3. Northern Dancer

When I did mine it was was used outside under a lean-to.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIflBsqCUms3r-0ARW-b3345eloYAI_a2QUrTrpiVZGoMNwcOc.jpg

campforums and Onatah like this.
  4. Onatah

Onatah Novice Camper

I didn't have an issue with that when I did it. The ground was really cold so I was desperate to get some insulation under my sleeping bag. It also pleasantly doubled as extra cushion. I just gave the bag a good shake in the morning and all was well. It was combined with fallen leaves. That may have helped add a 'buffer'.

campforums likes this.
  5. Northern Dancer

:thumbsup: Alas - I've come up in the world and now use a pad, a full cot or a ground cot - whatever I think best. I use a ground cot when I'm tripping and then again sometimes I use a simple pad just to reduce the weight. Here are the items that I have in my inventory. [Though I do have three different types of ground pads I have only shown one.]

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhBMqc5saD1TNPvoG6P_1dLUy7JBh5TWt_6RpxHvJe6XR-hZ-h.jpg 1 - Allagash Cot for tripping (if out more than three days)

If you plan to purchase any of these kind of products know what you are buying and the rationale for the same. ALWAYS BUY ON SALE.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7qKv774SPYyLffVcDVqFNXAjSr3tCG-POxG6B9DM7uTYlNmW7Cw.jpg 2 - North 49 Sleeping Bag Pad (for weekend and short trips)
    I have two other types - I don't know why. :(

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBF0KsnFkYmyHW-aosrzkwGSe1B5h-tUTZbP1E6I3JGzw_HxCW.jpg 3 - Regular Cot with Skirt (Base Camp)
    This cot takes up to 500 pounds or more - definitely no sagging.

I do not use "blow up anything" kind of pad ( :banghead: more than one bad experience) - it must be self inflating and very definitely light, durable, solid, (I don't like sleeping on a water bed type or experience bouncy feelings when I sleep) and washable (able to clean).

:bear: At base camp he has a pad for his dog Reese and has been known to take a pad for him on trips too.

CherylTorrie likes this.
  6. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I bought one of the self inflating Ascend brand. Used it right after buying it, and wasn't impressed. I read that when you store them you should open the valves and hang them up. If they are stored rolled up, and compressed, the foam on the inside retains the compressed memory and doesn't work well. Worked great for me after I left it stored hanging up and with valves open.

7. Northern Dancer

I've learned that brands will have different components and will react differently. Even with the self inflating ones a little extra air helps. I usually leave mine out with the cap off, add a few poofs and it is fine. You are right about storage - sleeping bags are the same - they need to be rolled out and hung up to.

8. Northern Dancer

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfGGEWgFkZU1bFf5N-07yzL_pjdkkxWQE09KuqCHlwAta1rkke.jpg killeroy 154; nice to see you online.

9. campforums

So you don't have any inflatable air mattresses? Like the ones that have a small pump for inflation.

I'm surprised you didn't list one in your collection :p

10. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

When I was growing up and went camping on the weekends with my parents; we all had airmattresses that fit into the area beneath the sleeping bag. Back in those days, the air mattresses were made with kind of a canvas material, and not just the easily-punctured plastic ones that they sell nowdays. We didn't have any device to blow them up; so sitting around and blowing up our air mattresses was just a part of the "camping experience". Once they were full of air, they were good for the whole weekend, and rarely ever had a leak. If that did happen, there were rubberized patches that could be put on and they stopped any leaks.

Now, I would like to have one of the little camp cots, on the order of what @Northern Dancer has shown in his post. Even if I had an air mattress, just being a little ways off of the hard ground would be good.
    Sometimes, I used fir boughs and made a softer place for the sleeping bag; but usually, we did not want to just go around cutting off boughs that were not necessary for something.

11. campforums

Sounds similar to a pool raft I used to have. It took about 30 minutes of constant blowing to inflate it so we would usually alternate in shifts as we got tired. But I preferred the material to the smooth plastic that most air mattresses these days seem to be made of. There isn't enough friction and the sheets always seem to slide off.

12. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrie Novice Camper

I don't have the inflatables either. :) I use a cot that is easy to haul and set up. If I think I am going to be achy without padding I use a sleeping bag under and a quilt over. The majority of my camping equipment, Oh I guess all of it, has multiple purposes and most have covers or carriers that I have quilted myself while dreaming of making my camping trips more comfortable for me.

13. Northern Dancer

Sharp thinking @CherylTorrie - multiple usage is always encouraged especially for tripping. If you are purchasing a self inflating sleeping pad it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter. The product should be on the high end of quality. I recently purchased and excellent "mattress" from Ikea - and though not designed for camping it is an excellent mattress for my cot at base camp. I wanna have a great sleep!

All my equipment is essentially divided into two parts (though I can inter change them as desired). One if for base camp and the other is for tripping or backpacking. Each requires specialty equipment.

So..I have two tents, two stoves, two whatever I need when I head out.

14. Northern Dancer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :(

I did...I woke up one morning feeling like a weenie in a hot dog. Good bye pad...and take that small pump for inflation with ya - you are both fired! . I won't do that again.

CherylTorrie likes this.
  15. Northern Dancer

16. Camp6

Camp6 Novice Camper

Even though it is heavier than a sleeping pad, I have always considered carrying my sleeping cot with me whenever I go camping. A sleeping cot keeps me cool in the summer and warm in the winter since it keeps me off the ground. It also offers a space underneath it which can be used to store other things. I used to carry my sleeping pad but I started avoiding it since we could sometimes camp on wet ground. One can also sleep comfortably since you avoid sleeping over stones or sticks.

Northern Dancer likes this.
  17. Northern Dancer

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ :)

Well put.

18. kncollins2013

kncollins2013 Novice Camper

I actually have a pretty thick yoga mat, and that seems to do the trick for me! I get multiple uses out of it, so it's definitely a win. If the ground has too many roots or is very uneven, I love sleeping in my hammock. I find it very comfortable and surreal being able to fall asleep directly under the stars.

kac1269 likes this.
  19. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

My Coleman Ridgeline cot comes with a mattress, but I have two more of those roll up foam ones in the first post. Both were $7 each.

One is silver on one side. The non silver foam one goes under the cot legs and my gear goes on top of it under the cot. No dampness of gear that way and the legs - which are the rounded legs - don't slide around.

The other silver backed one goes on top of the cot between the cot fabric and the mattress. It is a little more cushion for very little money, adds one more barrier to cold, and keeps the cot mattress in place.

20. Northern Dancer

That is an incredibly a fantastic price. The pad I use for canoe camping cost me $105.00. Some think that was cheap. It's super light though the one at base camp is thicker.

When I'm at base camp I have one of those military cots that can take a 500 pounds - BUT I can assure you I'm no where anywhere near that size. It has the "skirt" to put things in.

upload_2016-2-27_9-12-14.jpeg Base camp cot

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSET0WL1i5bIgHLF5yBxuxY7A-Rs97zCx9uKieXTfVapIO3IMe6.jpg This is the cot I use for extended canoe trips

kac1269 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted