1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Anyone use a sleeping pad?

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by campforums, Feb 15, 2013.

1. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

I have in the past but I do not own one. I guess that is something I could just add on though, and I might find a lot of use for it. I will keep my eye out now.

2. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

I don't have a pad but a last year my wife talked me into buying a queen size cot with built in air mattress. Not exactly something I would have done on my own but my back sure doesn't mined.

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...it depends on the kind of camping you are into. I use a firm pad when I'm tripping and a regular mattress with cot at base camp. Watch the cost - this is another item that manufacturers make a lot of money on. Do the research and purchase what you really need. :)

4. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

I got my queen size on Amazon for less than 100. It weighs about 65 # so not something you would strap to a pack. Thermorest has some nice pads for packing. I like to find something natural to put under my tent like leaves or pine straw for padding and insulation.

Sent from my E39 using Tapatalk

5. Northern Dancer

=====> IMG_0907.jpg
    A bit much? Not when you are at base camp. :)

Not a bad idea at all @Madman4800 - it was the way it was done when. Make sure you put a tarp down first to keep any sap off the bottom of your tent.

I had a colleague shovel out some of the group to make a bed. He filled it with leaves and cedar boughs. Really comfortable but I couldn't be bothered to do all that work.

You can now purchase light weight wrap up cots as well as pads. It's up to the imagination and your pocket book as how comfortable you want to be.

6. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Over the coarse of 40 years of camping I've had 3 different sleeping pads. I started with a Therm-a-Rest 2" inflatable pad. I used that for years. Then I picked up a Therm-a-Rest Dreamtime, a 2" inch inflatable air pad with 1" foam pad on top encased in a zippered sleeve. Lately I picked up an Amok Draumer 3.0 it requires a special type of air mattress with baffles run vertically. So I picked up an Exped 9 LW. These see great because you don't use an under quilt on the Amok, these air mattresses have over 700 fill down. I like it so much I picked up one of their down filled air pillows as well. I took from the Dreamtime and put a half inch foam pad on it. My wife made for me a pillow case, so everything fits without falling out. I tried sleeping in the Clark Jungle Hammock without a pad, but there was just too much shoulder pinch to be comfortable, so the Dreamtime worked well to alleviate the pinch. So I guess a pad has always been apart of my camp life.

Bibsoutdoors

7. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

I always use a tarp. There has been time when that's all I've used. That's A nice set up ND. Home away from home. I will post some pics here soon. I have new lap top and nothing on it yet.

Therm-a-rest. I thought I spelled that wrong. They make some nice pads and judging by the sound of Bibs I might have to go look at some.

8. Northern Dancer

...pads became a part of my life after twenty five. Up until that time I roughed it - what a silly thing to do.

This is the Helinox cot - expensive but effective.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcMM8VBwOqcmwGmrrLYyFfYNefJVZTs_qr5pLtuMZgGXBa6RD0jw.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkRZsTBuoC0yErk3WkIYyWHlS9SMCfHo6YcgLPJZzFH8ZQehZJxw.jpg

It is strong, durable, comfortable AND expensive. Like I said - it is always our choice.

I use another product line that suits my budget just fine. But I do have a Helinox chair that is real comfortable.

upload_2017-3-4_17-45-42.jpeg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsb25uIJtvd3S1zIok4NrSQ267Pe8SLQfz74ztE1mWZSQ40h7O.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTY0iqYuxuI9poYez6NR4qsc3L7bhoR4L8pl2zAwpF5EaWGpYgK.jpg

9. Northern Dancer

=====>
    They do make some nice pads BUT. For awhile I got caught up with the who's who in the industry. Then one day I asked my self a question. "Who makes this product better and for less cost?" I discovered when the manufacturer said they have the "best" I did my research to prove them wrong and made the process a game.

For base camp I purchased a bunk bed mattress from Ikea - it was an excellent choice.

10. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I have one of those self-inflatable pads like the therm-a-rest. It's about 2 inches thick, I think, does pretty good for light packing, but for base camping I have settle for an inflatable, cushy top air mattress c46772f68956136a249d372401ae825c.jpg to which I hope I don't have a blow out some night. I have one of those small Helinox chairs, that ND showed picture of, it works great for light camping also, but for base camping I like big chair.

11. Northern Dancer

...I like my folding chair that has a back support. I find sitting in a regular chair for any period of time makes my back sore. Somewhere on one of the threads I share an experience about a blow up mattress. I woke in the earlier hours of the morning feeling like a hot dog in the middle of a bun. That first time experience with a blow up anything was terminated.

12. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I read that. It was funny. So far I haven't had a blow out. Never say Never.

13. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I use two kinds of camp chairs. If I'm car camping I use a very comfortable rocking chair 81da757315c1524237bfe54e137cd9ef.jpg us old men like it!

If on the other hand, I'm backpacking its a completely different animal. I'm not sure you can get a camp chair simpler than this one 618ee083ea3575dc913fcb779c741379.jpg and comfort is really out the window! Ha ha

Bibsoutdoors

14. Northern Dancer

....I'm one of those dudes who needs a back support. I have a Helinox and a sports chair. Looking through my inventory here are some of the chairs that I have on hand.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQImwOlNaHIf2cORhevj1Jdvz_-vqX-OdIlKJZDsM7Fb9_SRdEn.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT661TXun_3PUp4rqSHKhkdsFI0VplgGwJPtF_C1dQdXaFZF6mGZA.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGp4xc0Em59Dxf3Ci04AzavjinTQq78W2G_0fCJYd8P57-tb9E.jpg
    View attachment 339
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRy5lZFlnZdO7kj18-x_H7g7LVzlg9sdienk5f_zfVBJII0XcFp.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8aTfSSrG087uGqQhJnO8F0V9agjZV2MPfkN_O8Q0Q9PKaD3pD.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2017
  15. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

Has anyone tried a zero gravity reclining chair. I tried my buddies last summer and I will be picking one up soon. Very comfy.

16. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I just looked up to see what a zero gravity chair is. Are there things you should be looking for when you buy one? Kind of a should have, should not have list? What makes one better than another kind of thing?

Bibsoutdoors

17. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

I haven't done much homework on them. I do know there are several options on the market. Some have canopies, extra padding, rockers and even 2 person. You can also buy clip on cup holders and some lay flat to use as a cot. I have not had the opportunity to look at structure on different brands Wich is most important. They range in price from $40 to over $100. Sounds like of done more homework than I thought.

18. Northern Dancer

...that's the secret HOMEWORK or DETECTIVE WORK. Like any piece of equipment -

how will I be using it?
    how often?
    when and where?
    how much I'm I prepared to pay?
    I picked up a folding chair for base camp that said "Back Support" - called the Strongback chair. One of the finest [see - I didn't say best] that I've purchased. Fabulous support for my back.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkyVOeUf1oOvjUaVMiEtDLTDFC3EdB3BVWpXIbw7pHRKmcZE7b.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzzWljo0SaSbkEVs_L-348uPig8PZu5FjKSS_7QhTw18Tv_4dgyQ.jpg upload_2017-3-10_9-31-7.jpeg

A camping chair that provides curved lumbar support and a lightweight folding design that's easy to carry.

Specs

• Capacity: 300 lb.
    • Weight: 11.9 lb.
    Construction
    • Heavy-duty 600D polyester fabric.
    • Powder-coated steel frame.

Additional Features

• Conveniently folds down for travel and storage.
    • Your sitting position will be comfortable and won't place unnecessary strain on your back and neck.
    • Carry bag included.
    If I recall it cost me $59.00 though there are other models some costing more.

19. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Does the back support actually hit you in the small of the back? What does it feel like when sitting in it? That is to say, do you feel support bars? Tight fabric? Any discomfort from engineering flaws? After sitting in the chair for awhile do you feel sore or stiff in any part of your lower back? Do your knees feel different when standing and first starting to move around?

Bibsoutdoors

20. Northern Dancer

...actually @Bibsoutdoors the symptoms that you describe are exactly what happens when I sit in a regular chair for a long period of time. The Strong Back eliminates those issues for me - that is why I purchased it. Though I still do have all my other chairs. I have a small fold down chair that I use for picnic tables that has a firm back. I've been looking online to see if I could find one to illustrate and I haven't yet.

I use to purchase on the basis of cost - now I try them out for awhile and see how they fit and feel. It's like trying on new shoes - once you walk away they are yours.

:bear: Baden Bear here, "ND is forever trying out new equipment and is specifically critical [fact finding] when it comes to claims by manufacturers.

Thanks Baden Bear. Did I every share with you folks the time I went to a Camping Show and headed for my usual haunt being the tent display section? I surmised that the sales guy in one section wasn't all that skilled and so [in a devious manner] I thought I'd have some fun. I told my colleague to go along for the ride.

It went something like this -

"Man...I'm really disappointed in your line of tents displayed." "What's your name again?" "Nice to meet you Bruce." "Bruce I thought if any organization would have the new double decker four season all terrain tent yours would be the organization that would have it." My camp buddy left to go "to the washroom"because he was about to explode in hilarious laughter watching and listening to the antics. And so it went. :)

Bruce if you are still out there - I'm truly sorry for being an ass.

Madman4800 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted