1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Are the cicadas being weird over in your neck of the woods?

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Esperahol, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Because we're having a bit of an issue here with some of them coming too early and others coming too late. It's gotten to the point where they are coming out in the Fall and Winter and immediately dying versus the Spring and Summer when they've got a chance. I honestly don't know what to say about this, but it worries me a bit. In other news there is some new, odd, incredibily shiny thing running around - it honestly looks a bit fake, which is actually kind of awesome.

2. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

cicadas are just nasty looking bugs that I rather swat with a fly swatter or not be around them. There are people who eat cicada and sauteed the nasty critters. I am not a fan of eating bugs its just not sanitary. Even if you are a great cook I would not trust eating those bugs. I'll eat fried calamari but not bugs of any kind.

3. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

LKPK0K2KGKA01QF0VQF0VQRSAQLSBQ30WQY0MKVKAQ30GQD0ZKA00KEKKKTKGKRSVQLSGKRS8KBKAQC02Q9KSKNKSK.jpg

I don't know what kind of cicadas you have, Profit, but there's no way that the ones in my area could be simply swatted with a fly swatter, lol. It'd just cause them to fly probably, but wouldn't kill them by any means!

4. tess pfeif

tess pfeif Newbie

I was wondering if we would see more cicadas this year. The last cicada summer we had they were coating our driveway by July. They were all about the size that Jessi posted, however I don't remember them being as light of a green. Does anyone know why they would not come at all a few summers later? I seen maybe two or three and heard them some nights but nowhere near the magnitude that I used to experience them.

campforums likes this.
  5. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

I don't have any cicadas in my area since I live in the valley. I only have been dealing with the dragon flies, mosquitoes, ants, and moths. The ants are more of the annoying ones its just my luck that I had to kill a group of them a few days ago.

6. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Well I suppose some people from other cultures and time periods would consider what we eat strange. Apparently they aren't that bad and are quite high in protein! :thumbsup:

7. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

It is just strange that people do not see that these bugs are nasty. I would not bother with them. I would just end up feeling sick if I were to eat one of these insects. I just get these weird chills just thinking about eating bugs.

8. Sweetkymom

Sweetkymom Newbie

These rather nasty bugs are bit of a problem over here in my neck of the woods. There is nothing worse then worrying about what to get to try and kill the annoying flying bugs!! I just wish they would they would stay away and stay off to themselves somewhere!

9. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Bugs are just nasty all around and I would not want to eat them. I don't really encounter cicadas where I live so I am lucky. As long as I am not eating them then I am good.

Draft saved Draft deleted