1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Are there climbers in the crowd?

Discussion in 'Trails' started by Northern Dancer, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Nathaniel-Coleman-rock-climber.jpg

Nathaniel Coleman at the 2016 Bouldering Open National Championship; photo Greg Mionske, courtesy of USA Climbing

The all-around achiever took the gold in two bouldering national competitions, back to back, hit the books for his computer science degree, and didn’t lose any sleep… all in a seven-day crunch earlier this month. The whole time, his gleaming smile was left mostly intact.

Coleman is an on-the-rise sport climber and boulderer paving his athletic career while also getting a college degree. Not to mention, his mental prowess is one that athletes in any field and working professionals can learn from to help overcome intimidating circumstances.

This year, Coleman kicked off a streak in January when he charged the indoor USA Climbing Bouldering Open National Championship. He took first place over nine-time reigning champion Daniel Woods, a climber that Coleman admires “for being the best outdoor boulderer in the world.”

YOU CAN FIND MORE IN GEAR JUNKIE

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I've done it a few times, what about you? Indoor or otherwise?

P.s. It is a lot harder than it looks!

3. Northern Dancer

...that I haven't done - like down hill skiing I've had a tendency to fall - like hard. I posted it to encourage others to share their experience. Climbing is another past moving activity that is gaining popularity in the outdoor circuit.

4. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I never have done any vertical climbing. Maybe if I started when I was younger and kept up good diet and exercise. I love watching rock climbing on tv. It's not the thrill of adrenaline rush I seek, but I find it very amazing how a climber methodically works a cliff face. I seen how they hang tents and hammocks for the night. Eww don't know about that, but still interesting. Getting older it appears that I have more gravity issues.

5. Northern Dancer

I don't think I could manage the high hanging tents and hammocks - the first thing I do in the morning is charge out of my tent to relieve myself. Apparently I don't fly very well either. :(

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfYZQfNSqLWDEPIoYFwcux11-Aqu2ZRgpRGMGNoCZobO3SQ-kv.jpg

killeroy154 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted