1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Are there wolves where you live?

Discussion in 'Nature' started by happyflowerlady, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

We have wolves in the northern forests of Wisconsin. It is just fascinating to hear them howl, bark and whimper at night and in the mornings. They do get close to camp sometimes but that's it.

The black bears on the other hand are devils.

It was 11:30 at night our second day camping in an established camp ground in one of the forests in northern Wisconsin. I was sound sleep in my hammock with my wife and dog sleeping next to me in a tent.

All of a sudden I heard this loud angry prehistoric noise just on the other side of my hammock facing the woods. I woke up my heart was racing my breathing became rapid before I even got my eyes opened wide. (I'm sure they were wide opened!) Then came a second blast with the same noise even louder than the first(no grunts barks or growls) I became more frightened than anytime in my entire life. If this thing decided to go through me laying in my bear burrito, my wife and dog were next in line. Before I had any idea what I might do a third and final blast of pure anger came and went right through my soul. Suddenly I heard a thump thump and off it ran into the woods breaking branches as it went. I recovered somewhat and called to my wife to see if she was ok. No answer from her, I listened and she was still sound sleep, same for the dog. I couldn't believe what was going on.

Next day I looked to see if I had accidentally set up on a game path or something, I saw nothing. I found scat and broken tree limbs not more than five yards away from my hammock.

I don't know what scared the bear or even if it just scared itself but I was thankful and shaken. My wife could hardly believe the story I recanted. I will admit I had difficulty sleeping the rest of the week we spent there.

Later talking with another camper, he told me black bears come into established camp sites for easy food and get hostile (even attacking people) to get at it.

After we got home I spoke with a retired game warden. We told me black bear attacks were actually high and increasing but as a warden he was NOT allowed to report these attacks or any form of bear aggression unless someone was physically injured or killed. The fear being people would stop going into the woods and camp sites or worse (as far as the wardens were concerned) they would start carrying firearms into camp sites.

Honestly, I was so frightened for my wife, dog and myself I have never fully recovered. When we go now it's always in the back of my mind, maybe closer up front than just the back.

Bibs

Bibsoutdoors

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...our system is different - there is no secret in our neck of the woods. People are encourage (as I did) to take a bear course if you plan to camp in bear country. Each jurisdiction will be different and one has to be aware of the local circumstances. I've had six bears (not all at once) come through or visit my camp site. I've never had any trouble. I do carry a screamer whistle and I'm armed with bear spray and have been trained to use it.

bear_table.jpg So...what's for supper?

3. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Bibsoutdoors

4. Northern Dancer

...only once in my life did I hear the Chorus of Wolves. From sun down to sun up they continued their haunting howl. Loved it. I shared that experience on a thread here somewhere.

Majestic and Marvellous in every way.
    Mutilated and Killed by human kind.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  5. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Mutilated and killed by human kind. . .because we thought we had the right way of thinking and it turned out we were never more wrong.

Bibsoutdoors

6. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

The only wolves in these parts are at a habitat sort of zoo. Black bears are very common especially in the smokeys. Every once in a while someone gets mauled, and it has no good outcome for the bear or person. Last spring a guy and his son were hiking parts of the Appalachian trail, and his son was attacked by a black bear while he was sleeping in a hammock. The son lived. The bear was found and they determined she previously had a cub that they said was still born. Most of the other stories I hear about is when people try to feed or get close to a bear. One couple thought it would make a pretty picture when mommy was trying to get their child close enough to pet the teddy bear. The outcome was not good. Most bears will try to avoid humans, but they have learned that picnic and camps make easy pickens for table scraps.

Hey Bibs, maybe the bear that scared you that night was constipated and then you scared it out of him? I know my tummy makes some growly freaky noise when it's upset.

I love the bear at the picnic table, he waiting on pancakes.

We now have coyotes but they don't pose any problems that I know of.

We have poisonous snakes here, but not as bad as Alexandoy mentioned, which if I am correct he is in the Philippines?. We have copperheads, rattlesnakes and some say water moccasins. The water moccasins are said to not exist in this area, but there has been reports. Most people bitten get plenty sick. There are a few fatalities from elderly or people with health problems, but i don't think It's frequent? I ought to check on that.

7. Northern Dancer

"We is lucky!" There are only two poisonous snakes in Canada and none in the area that I frequent. Coyotes are on the increase and they are definitely becoming a problem in our neck of the woods. As suburbia creeps out and snatches the land our bears become a problem too - unfortunately.

On occasion I have sat beside a small crackling fire and watched the sun set and wondered how long it will take for us to destroy ourselves.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBKTIadi5keJYbNdrgpWaNs-nBPLapJdOF9Zo4kiyX7KquXIWDyg.jpg ...Where I love to be.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwG0lMK-ergnnogLBZSMD6HkwqkIvCo_M-4r0HQpdUDdT5j1NE.jpg ...but where I am.

8. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Novice Camper

Wow :jawdrop: Isn't is scary to live in a place where there are lots of wolves and coyotes? There aren't any wolves nor coyotes in our place because we live in the city, but I don like the idea of living near the woods as I think it would be relaxing and wonderful. However, these are some of the things that bothers me that's why I never go in the woods as much as I would like to explore.

9. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Lady, you have a far greater chance of being killed in a city, any city than you do by a wolf or coyote in the woods. Protecting their young and being sick (in which case you have little chance of seeing them at all) would be the only chance you might suffer an attack. You are more apt to be attacked by a dog than either of these two. If you can learn this to be true, you will have wonderful nights camping. To listen to the wolves howling start, and as they congregate, howling turns to an excited barking it is as an awesome experience to enjoy. Don't fear the woods, be smart about the woods and a liking, will turn into a real love. You have internet, research what I say and I think you will find me not to far off in what I say.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Jasmin Cottontail and to7update like this.
  10. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I don't worry about bears or coyotes. They tend to avoid humans, we taste bad. Coyotes eat a lot of rodents like mice, rats, squirrels and I guess beavers. I never realy thought about my totem being a rodent,,, hmm maybe I need a new totem. A rodent?

11. to7update

to7update Novice Camper

Pretty much, cities are far more dangerous than the forests these days...

We do have a mountain close to where I live called Arrábida and we have quite a few wolves there. We listen to them at night, but they don't approach us. Even during the day we can see them when we are hikking or simply driving around.

Up and back there is where they live. :)

1200px-Portinho_da_Arr%C3%A1bida_I.jpg

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  12. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

You actually get to see them? Wow, that is really something else! I have heard wolves all songs my campsite before. I've heard then move from one side of a camp ground to another side before but I've NEVER seen any yet. Are these wolves you see getting acclimated to/with people or are they being seen from a distance? If it wasn't for TV and internet I would never have seen a wolf....one day I hope....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

13. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

The only wolves I've seen were behind a fence. They looked like big ole puppy dogs.

14. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

Oddly enough there actualy was something on the news not too long ago about a local wolf. Other than that random thing though, no we do not have any.

15. Northern Dancer

...wolves are pack animals. The strength of the pack is the wolf and the strength of the wolf is the pack. If there is a lone wolf it is because he has been expelled by the group. Usually because they are hurt and not able to keep up with the pack or they have fought with the alpha male and lost.

16. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Novice Camper

Right :) Perhaps I'm just not used to it that's why I feel scared. I always like to live in a rural area since I love nature and it is unwinding. I guess I don't have to be bothered with these animals after all ::)

17. Northern Dancer

...try a little education. People often fear the unknown - so get to know whats in your backyard. I'm not afraid of wolves - wolves are very much afraid of me. Separate fact from fiction - you will be surprise.

Draft saved Draft deleted