1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Army swiss knife

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by robertson123, Nov 29, 2012.

1. robertson123

robertson123 Newbie

I like this type of knife it will come in very handy when going camping anywhere heres a pic of the knife:)

Attached Files:

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I guess this type of knife is alright for saving space but I find most of the tools to fragile for any real use. I prefer to pack a high quality, durable folding knife and the rest of the gadgets I don't really have much use for.

3. Toxique

Toxique Newbie

Is that a fork on see on that knife ?

4. MrX

MrX Newbie

yes..this is an must tool which you should have with you when ur out in the wild..it really comes handy!!

5. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

These tools are handy but if you are really far out and on your own you want better quality. Real Swiss Army Knives are made by Victorinox and Wenger, there is also Leatherman, Gerber and SOG you can look into.

Find a local Army Surplus Store that the local police and EMT's use. They should have a good selection.

And if it's all you can afford it is better than nothing!

6. Norrwen

Norrwen Newbie

Wow, that's got a lot of functions. Swiss army knives are good, but make sure all the tools are tools that you need, as adding additional weight even a little bit can make your trip harder.

7. TABL

TABL Explorer

My husband prefers the Leatherman.
    My sons have items like this to go camping with Scouts.

8. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

A certain Benchmade knife has been on my wish list for a while, they are supposed to be extremely high quality but they're also very pricey. One day, hopefully! :D

9. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

That's a good point about bringing too much weight. I have met people who take several smaller multi tools that complament each other in what are included plus if you loose one you still have the other.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Newbie

I'm not a big fan of Swiss army knives because the tools on them are too small. I like the Leatherman and Gerber multi tools because they feel a little more substantial. Even around the house, I've been known to whip out my multitool for tightening screws or when I need pliers.

I'd rather carry a real fork than use the unreasonably tiny fork that comes in a Swiss Army Knife.

11. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I carry one, but only because in a pinch something on there may be helpful. Generally I have other more substantial things that work as well if not better.

12. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

I just picked up a Leatherman Wingman Multi Tool combo at Home Depot for $20. It includes a Style CS so it's a fantastic deal if you can find any left.

The LM Wingman is a nice compact multi tool with a belt clip that would be handy around the camp.

13. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

I carry a Victorinox Swiss Army mini champ knife when I am in the city. For camping purposes I carry the leatherman wave. It the multi tool knife that I prefer when I go camping. The saw is especially nice for cutting tree branches.

14. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

I think any quality multi tool like a wenger, victorinox, gerber, SOG, and leatherman have there pros and cons. I have used victorinox and been very satisfied with the quality of it's tools. I have tried all these products I have mention and they are great and handy to have. Multi tools give you more options than just a plain knife.

15. sea_goin_dude

sea_goin_dude Novice Camper

These knives are very useful and sturdy and you can get them at walmarts and i am sure other places for less than ten bucks. I always carry one with me in my van and have several more if I need them.

Attached Files:

• 44.jpg
      44.jpg
      File size:
      47.5 KB
      Views:
    • 45.jpg
      45.jpg
      File size:
      75.9 KB
      Views:
Draft saved Draft deleted