1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Ash Bore destroying my camp site.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bibsoutdoors, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

At one of my favorite car camp grounds, the ash bore is devastating the look and feel. f2891a7f24db5cbe14514e12325725f0.jpg This was full of trees and so was this area; 84b12f0f72fd134d7ebf4f40768b0b5e.jpg a few more pics. Probably doesn't mean much of you didn't see it pre-cut. 282d368ccef7e2bedaddf19ab987542a.jpg 04ec0832b6722dfc28188f5b8c8bcd08.jpg

Bibsoutdoors

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEJceJGYSx22xQ1BgnLcnyvxDVOAG-TQsQiuXYJmEAF3CBzKcuYA.jpg
    . Emerald Ash Borer
    emerald_ash_borer.jpg
    Since its accidental introduction into the United States and Canada in the 1990s, and its subsequent detection in 2002, the Emerald Ash Borer (Agrilus planipennis) has spread to 14 states and parts of Canada. It is estimated to have killed at least 100 million ash trees so far and threatens to kill most of the 7.5 billion ash trees throughout North America.

In North America, the Emerald Ash Borer has been found to attack and kill all North American species of Ash (Fraxinus spp.). Infested ash trees in North America generally die after two to three years, but heavily infested trees have been observed to die after only one year of beetle attack.

The Emerald Ash Borer is native to China and eastern Asia. In May 2002, it was discovered in southeastern Michigan in the United States and in July 2002 it was found in Essex County in Ontario.

Like some other exotic pests that affect plants and trees, it is believed to have been accidentally introduced to North America in imported wood packaging or crating material.

How You Can Help
    1. Don't move firewood - Moving firewood, even just a few kilometres, can spread invasive species to our forests. It might seem difficult to imagine, but something as simple as bringing your own firewood when you travel to or from your favourite campsite could threaten and destroy thousands, even millions, of trees.
    2. Don't bring other plant products - The movement of infested plant materials such as nursery stock, trees, logs, lumber and wood or bark chips poses the greatest risk of spreading invasive insects to uninfested areas.
    3. Learn the invasive species and symptoms - Learn the signs and symptoms of infested trees and report any issues to park officials.
    4. Know the rules - Quarantine areas have been imposed which prohibits the movement of plants materials including firewood in many areas of Canada and the United States.

3. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Bore instead of borer, that's just BORING! 85194e8039309f44d7e5fa09f10d250d.gif I'm an idiot.

Bibsoutdoors

4. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Reminds me of when I had a part time job as a cobbler. For an entire day I wrote...needs new souls, needs new souls, needs new souls. Finally at the end of the day my boss came up to me and asked, "What am I holding in my hand?" I said a sole, he then asked me to spell it, I said sole he said finally. He handed me a half dozen tickets that said, "New souls please." Slapped me in the chest and went back up to the front counter. Next day everyone in the shop was calling me "Reverend." My life is just one embarrassment after another! 1869a2e2af8a94fbdeeabe3bd269504b.gif

Bibsoutdoors

5. Northern Dancer

------>
    Never!

6. Northern Dancer

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1pwWxPXmAeqvNX1QuLOJL7yQO4gAkaShRPq3DcHFk3oCyuZm0.jpg
    Zebra and quagga mussels are freshwater bivalves native to the Black Sea region of Eurasia. Both species were believed to have been introduced in the late 1980’s by ballast water from transoceanic ships carrying veligers (larvae), juveniles or adult mussels.

Zebra and quagga mussels are capable of heavily colonizing hard and soft surfaces, including, docks, boats, break walls and beaches. These colonizations are also responsible for clogging intake structures in power stations and water treatment plants.

The Africanized honey bee was first introduced to Brazil in the 1950s, in an effort to increase honey production; but, in 1957, 26 swarms accidentally escaped quarantine. Since then, the species has spread throughout South America, and arrived in North America in 1985.

African honeybees are considered an invasive species in the Americas. As of 2002, the Africanized honeybees had spread from Brazil south to northern Argentina and north to Central America, Trinidad (West Indies), Mexico, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Florida, and southern California.

Africanized bees are typically much more defensive than other races of bees, and react to disturbances faster than European honey bees. They can chase a person a quarter of a mile (400 m); they have killed some 1,000 humans, with victims receiving ten times more stings than from European honey bees. They have also killed horses and other animals.

Then there is - Purple Loosestrife, Giant Hog Weed, Japanese Knot Weed, Asian Long Horned Beetle and....well - you get the picture.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmHheOQ-AZ31KaLVwGbfdVXbTT5ju29rY76U3t3RDDnYYa-raH.png images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvIRikEsEGMPr_0Mk2E0LETOqSDdwQF69IVbiTXVf6NKhW43xzcg.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnSVaYsDzJ7Bs4DYZn6Oiel2QY1KdXTqwGo-GTL75frs0KHY_l.jpg

It seems to me that governments around the world would be wise to trim military budgets a tad. If we are smart we could use that extra money and provide more funding to defend ourselves against INVASIVE SPECIES that are endangering the natural habitat - and our well being. Ya..right!

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  7. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Well if history teaches us anything ie., Europeans invading the America's bring disease and killing the indigenous peoples, we can feel comfortable that the invasion of any foreign species is going to kill native habitats. If we truly understand history in this form, we can plan ahead of time to battle the invasion once detected. But as Northern Dancer pointed out it would take capital to do this and governments are much too selfish to invest in anything that would be good for mankind today with what we can put off until crisis levels tomorrow.

Bibsoutdoors

8. Northern Dancer

Indeed we are a strange species ourselves - probably more dangerous than just about anything on the planet. But I'm an optimist - there are wonderful people to be found everywhere and I have confidence that soundness of mind will prevail.

9. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I wish I could agree with you on the soundness of men's minds. Mankind has perfected one thing and one thing only...to kill...each other and our animal brothers and the environment we all inhabit. Daily we threaten each other at a global level. As these threats escalate we find it increasingly difficult to ratchet it back down. Our national pride added to the mix only promises the greatest of horrifying responses. I'm afraid we are living in extremely precarious times, I just can't see good coming from us. Especially with the voting in to high levels of governments people of lesser intelligences. No, I'm afraid I can't share your optimism. Here's one time I truly hope I'm wrong, time will most certainly tell.

Bibsoutdoors

10. Northern Dancer

I can appreciate your sentiments. I wonder too as I look around me. We seem to becoming more and more isolated from one another. Strange I suppose but I embrace that isolation when I'm canoeing. I'm okay with the silence and welcome it. We talk about being free - I get and encouraging feeling when I'm out - I believe that is the reason I'm attracted to the life style.

11. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I think it's human nature to crave solitude when we are bombarded with welcome/unwelcome interactions. We need that rejuvenation. Just as someone in solitary craves the interaction of others. Yes, you profoundly claimed it, we are indeed a strange species. So, I can think of only one true thing to do.... 254fac74b7150ef2fa1b9feec9ab62c5.gif or b786a9be0acd5610f95ca20c7f03dea6.jpg

Bibsoutdoors

12. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

My neighbor has a very larhe ash tree that died last year. Yesterday he asked if I wanted any of it for firewood. I said I would love to have one of the large limbs for wood projects. I have no way to handle the heavy trunk part of that tree. The log from the limb will take a couple of years to dry in my basement before I can do anything with it. 8529c06cd3c84a83199859046149a062.jpg This is the trinket box I made out of peach wood. No stain just rubbed danish oil on it. This is another peach log that I got from Dads yard c58e4577d678baa19994b8be4cffeba5.jpg it'll take a couple of years for it also. I am curious as how ash will look.

As far as the subject of humanity, I am not going to comment. Puts me in bad and depressed mood. I must remain happy happy happy. Camping trip in 2 weeks

Northern Dancer and Bibsoutdoors like this.
  13. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

@killeroy154...... you are what I wanted to be and failed when I retired, someone who could handle wood. Yeah, someone who could take a piece of wood and turn it into magic. I simply love good quality wood products made from awesome woods. Well it's clear, I'm going to have to live my dreams vicariously through what you share with us. Nice work on the trinket box. Nice wood, nice corners, nice job!

Bibsoutdoors

14. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Thanks. I am learning. That box was made out of peach tree that died in my yard. It surprised me how little wood you get from a log.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  15. Northern Dancer

...I have a suggestion.

Let's all mosey on over to the campfire
    with a cuppa...
    and talk about funny things. :)

16. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Just the thought of sitting around the campfire with a cup of coffee makes me happy. d6412c807ea4f7c89ff9fe8bed07f97c.jpg I'm in!

Bibsoutdoors

killeroy154 and Northern Dancer like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted