1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

???Ask??? me??? ANYTHING...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Northern Dancer, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

GO AHEAD...
    ASK ME ANYTHING

:) ABOUT CAMPING :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFep_yB1VyfXSzS2gOY_MEGtha-NDz4UnxJNtel-bhF7NRqzfL.jpg

One way to test your skill is to face a panel and answer questions and demonstrate your knowledge.

It's spring and it is a good time for me to rehearse before the summer comes and surprises me. I invite anyone to ask me any question. About camping...
    :)

Go ahead...I'm ready, I think?
    Yah, I'm ready.

:bear: Go ahead, do it!

happyflowerlady likes this.
  2. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Explorer

Great! I got some questions :)

Have you ever fished with your hands?

Have you ever made a fire just with sticks?

What was the biggest animal you hunted?

3. Northern Dancer

@Saul Goodman

1 :(
    I've never fished with my hands - I'm just too slow. I usually get mine from a can or on occasion I will stop in at the grocery store and head for the fish department. Sometimes my colleagues will catch a fish from the lake and I will clean it, use some form of batter or just plain butter to cook it up. Nothing like fresh trout from the lake to the cast iron fry pan smothered in butter to satisfy a hearty appetite.

2 :thumbsup:
    I made a fire using two sticks once and I believe that will be the last. I'm a real amateur and my manual dexterity is lousy. I carry a fire lighter/starter with me [among other things]. Frequently I have some lint from the clothes dryer or I will shave birch bark or make fuzz [fire] sticks with my knife.

3 :angelic:
    The biggest animal I've hunted was a moose - but I shot it with my camera.

2zpo8x3.jpg

14oaf6h.jpg

I captured this poor guy in early May in Algonquin - you can see that the winter almost did him in. He is suffering from the deer tick - he is lucky that they didn't do him in as frequently happens.

4. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Explorer

I've never caught a fish with my bare hands aswell ;-)..

I actually made fire with sticks 2 times and it took me like an hour... I was almost done when the fire started :).

The biggest Animal i hunted was a fish .. hehe.. with an fishing rod. ^^

And BTW: look what i made on my last Camping trip, I made this to never lose my lighter! And it really helped, well that lighter is pink, not like the original one which was in the case, BUT pink is a good colour aswell ^^

photo_2015-04-15_09-54-37.jpg

EDIT: The fabric makes it able to glow in black light, it looks pretty cool :)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    Northern Dancer likes this.
  5. Northern Dancer

@Saul Goodman

I really like that - pretty artsy and creative. What else have you made?

Here are my fire making tools.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPyTpR1QOaSvX0dHv4PSoYQbmENpngy_fRJE5jdOCEFI0EOD4p2g.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuui7CYN4P2x5uTDGSZSj8t3nK86atG8mTnsXYlZwX96d801tv.jpg

6. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Explorer

Oh great! I want to buy that thing on the left, dont know the exact name right now! I have to look where I can get this in Germany.

I will take some pictures of the stuff i made :)

7. Northern Dancer

@Saul Goodman

The knife pictured is the Gerber Survival Knife [newest edition].

The Ultimate is the premier knife in the Bear Grylls Survival Series from Gerber. It comes with many features you won’t find in other knives or multi-tools.

• Stainless steel pommel at the handle base doubles as a hammer.
    • Ergonomic, textured rubber grip is comfortable and reduces slippage.
    • Emergency whistle on the lanyard cord.
    • Ferromagnetic fire starter rod locked into the sheath
    • Fire starter striker notch on back of knife blade.
    • Land to air rescue instructions.
    • Diamond sharpener integrated into the sheath for sharpening in the field.
    • Nylon sheath is mildew resistant.
    • Bear Grylls' Priorities of Survival pocket guide in the sheath.
    I think you can pick up a fire starter just about anywhere. They are not costly at all and they also work in wet weather too.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  8. Northern Dancer

@Saul Goodman

I have a hunch that you would be a fabulous guy to have on a canoe trip. Ya...I might even be able to persuade you to carry some of the extra packs. :) Are you into canoe by chance?

9. Northern Dancer

Let me see now.... Camping Stores in Berlin -

Kreuzberg Oranienstr. 164
    10969 Berlin
    Germany Phone number +49 30 79789449

Steglitz Schloßstr. 78-82
    12165 Berlin
    Germany Phone number +49 30 850892-0

Karl-Marx-Allee 32
    10178 Berlin
    Germany Phone number +49 30 322966-200

Kreuzberg Skalitzer Straße 62
    10997 Berlin
    Germany Phone number +49 30 6189074 Just to name a few. :)

10. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Are you excited for this years camping season?

Is there anything camping related you would like to do in your life which you haven't already?

What is your favourite camp site/park/area/forest that you have ever been to and why?

11. Northern Dancer

@campforums

I'm not sure why - but I'm feeling an urgency to get away. Of course I'm always excited - I relish and embrace solid and on occasion I like to be isolated. I only have one trip officially planned - that will be late June; but the rest will fall into place.

I've been thinking about hammock camping - something I've never done. Liam - a colleague purchase one last year and swears by it. I don't think that I would buy one - I've clamped down on myself. I'm sort of hoping that we might exchange for a week or so. He wants to camp using a a tee-pee and I want to
    camp using a hammock. He has one of those Hennessy Safari Hammocks.

I've yearned for a Yukon experience.

The best camping area that I enjoy the most is the Haliburton Reserve because of the semi isolation and the abundant wildlife. I have seen more wildlife in that neck of the woods than any where else that I have camped. It was the first place that I experienced bears coming through camp and though a tad scary I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Algonquin interior is another place - just the shear immensity of the place is exhilarating. The variety of scenery and the many waterways, lakes and streams can rejuvenate your more than anything.

campforums likes this.
  12. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Explorer

@Northern Dancer

Thanks for the Infos! I enjoy watching the Bear Grylls Series, allways some interessting Tips :)
    I Will definitly pick up a fire starter, it would help me a lot! And I would be in for a canoe trip all the Time!

13. Northern Dancer

@Saul Goodman

Can I ask you about your canoe experience? Ripple water, flat water or white water - maybe all three? How many nights might you have been out at one time? OR tell me about your canoe dreams - what you might like to do - you sound like a pioneer type.

I don't use matches anymore for fire starting - I use my instruments. I carry a spark for the stove.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyABwIuaJVGDQR7cZw6Pg9_duBHP6W2QNeNsO1MZmd-o9ibc0Tyg.jpg Stove Sparker

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBv50F5MxmlWgwo6Jcm73FDLD-CnwSXPSadpxodq_OIrsHZDFA.jpg Aw yes...portaging - a true canoe experience

14. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Explorer

I dont have that much Canoe experiences, I "drove"? it like 4 times but everytime was pretty great. -White Water! the longest time i have been out at one time was 5 days. Actualy i dont dream that much about canoe ;-) But i allways wanted to go on a real canoe / camping / surviving trip with my buddys, singing songs at the campfire, just having a lot of fun!

15. Northern Dancer

@Saul Goodman

Flat, ripple and white water identifies your skill level. White is when there is a lot of current and splashing as noted in the picture. I do flat and ripple and on occasion rough but I'm certainly not skilled to come down the river crashing over the rocks. I don't survive anymore :) - my canoe and camping skills are such that I can really enjoy the experience. And like you say - when you get out with your friends it can be fabulous. No, we never have. That is to say we have never invited the women along. Not sure why but we just haven't done that; it's never been discussed either.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJyFyr3jSEBSkt_XRve3dh3GdkWfc06wHpTmceC39RJmxfCG7O.jpg

I have done this sort of stuff on the Grand River - but never developed the skill.

2vds7wg.jpg

This is one of my favourite pictures - coming back to my camp site on McDonald Lake. When I canoe alone I fill my dry bags with water and put then in the front of the canoe for balance.

Saul Goodman likes this.
  16. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Explorer

The pictures look great! :)

17. campforums

I haven't done any hammock camping either, although I have been in a hammock before of course. Sometimes during the summer we will set up a hammock in our back yard for lounging. I imagine it'd be quite comfortable and it would have the benefit of keeping you dry if it is really wet out.

Bears as in plural? :eek:

Oh yea, I have used one of those. You can get a surprisingly good amount of sparks out of one of those. Me and my friends would sometimes push the spring as fast as we could to see who could get the most sparks flying. Although I've found it is easier to get a flame from it if you hold it upside down over your tinder instead of putting anything inside the actual cup.

18. Northern Dancer

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8JK3rvOxuU8lg9sI18fn7d8vwddHMSUkAXSjFJw0QXWuaH_Bf.jpg This is a Hennessy Survival hammock - a bit different from the backyard kind. I have a hammock I take along on canoe trips for lazing in the afternoon sun. This one is designed for jungle stuff OR winter stuff. Look them up on line - interesting reading.

Saul Goodman likes this.
  19. campforums

Yea, the camping hammocks tend to have roofs over them or some kind of enclosure. I am not sure how I like that that one is open though, I would prefer if it were fully enclosed with some ventilated sides maybe.

20. Northern Dancer

:)

SafariDeluxeZipwithbubblepad-BG-640x.jpg

Specifications
    Height limit: 7' tall / 213 cm

Weight limit: 350 lbs / 159 kg

Packed Weight: 4 lbs 4 oz / 1928 g

Packed Size: 5" x 8" x 12"

Hammock fabric: Double-bottomed Layer of 40 D Nylon

Hammock dimensions: 112" x 52" (~72" on Diagonal)

Mesh: 30D No-See-Um

Suspending ropes: Two 10' long, 2100 lb. test polyester covered polyester ropes.

Webbing straps: 2" wide x 42" long polyester (4.1 oz/120 g)

Rain fly weight: 24.7 oz / 700 g

Rain fly fabric: 70D Polyurethane coated Rip-stop polyester

Rain fly dimensions: Size 132" on centre line x 103" wide hexagonal shape

Color: Forest Green

Stuff Sack: Logo and set up instructions printed on rip stop polyester bag (1 oz/~28 g )

Draft saved Draft deleted