1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Axis Deer

Discussion in 'Food' started by JoshPosh, Nov 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

img-006.jpg

These guys are all over my island. Currently the only time you can hunt them (rifle) is either it is in season, but........if you are bow hunter you are allowed to hunt one a day. Only the real hardcore campers will go out and hunt one of these bad boys and bring them back to the campfire. So far I've can only account one time where a friend of mine had brought back a axis deer while camping. Yes, we had to skin it and throw whatever we could in our coolers of ice. The rest was for eating.

campforums likes this.
  2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

It looks a bit like our white tailed deer.

30w4cnp.jpg

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Those marking around the eyes make it look as if it has more than 2 eyes, kind of like a spider (sorry for ruining your appetite)

SpiderCloseUp.jpg

I guess they figure that bow hunting is quite a bit harder and those hunters can use all the help they can get. I have only had deer once and it tasted great. It was much softer than chicken or beef and had amazing flavor. Did you enjoy it as much as I did? I imagine an entire deer would last you quite a while once you got it back home.

4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

One deer will last you a long time. I usually get it free because my friends bow hunt all the time. It is also good luck to give away some meat, so that you will always have a successful hunt afterwards. The same superstition goes towards fishing as well.

5. Northern Dancer

Some of our native practices say the same.

I'm really enjoying your contribution to the Camping Babble - thanks!

6. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Aw... they look like giant fawns - how pretty! Now what do they taste like? I love deer, but I've really only had whitetail and the like. I bet these taste even better... unless they're fast. The flesh is best from the slower breeds... at least in my opinion.

7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

From my understanding, most native cultures do have a understanding of balancing nature and respecting it. But times have changed hasn't it? I'm just fortunate enough to have friends that still hold the lessons learned from their parent and their grandparents. They never over fish or hunt unless they plan to give it away to friends, family, or the elderly that can no longer hunt for themselves.

8. Northern Dancer

Agreed - that is one of the reasons I'm part of LNTC - "Leave No Trace Camping" [Canada] though it is world wide now.
    swu7ag.jpg

9. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

A very important motto, I always try to leave a camp site in as good or better condition than the way I found it. If everyone abuses these resources they will become expensive to maintain or crappy for the next person to use. Both of which makes camping less enjoyable and accessible for everyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted