1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Backcountry Camping

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by ctechguy, Jul 11, 2013.

1. ctechguy

ctechguy Newbie

Anyone enjoy multiple night hikes through the backcountry and remote areas?

What do you find essential for trips like this? How does it change what you bring?

My wife and I, as well as our kids on a few trips, have done some of this type of camping, and it is very different from car camping. Water purification, food weight, carry in carry out plan, and more all become more important to consider, depending on how may days you are going to be in the wild.

I'm interested in your stories of remote and wild camping, and what your experience was like as a whole.

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

When I was much younger I had a passion for taking backcountry day hikes. Be it winter or summer, I would explore the forests looking for sign of old farms and towns that sprung up and then died away when the lumber camps left the area. I loved scouting each place found until finding the old garbage heaps. Finding old crocks or bottles, many with lettering on them describing the type of medicine or food it used to contain was interesting to do. I had several good collections of old bottles and old dishes.
    At that time I carried in my knapsack a notebook and my camera, something for lunch and a snack. A bottle of water and a map of the area with a compass. I usually had a good idea of area I wanted to cover, and tried to stick to that plan. Most importantly I always let someone know where I was going and when I planned to be back.

Following game trails and streams, was always a way to see wildlife. I often came across baby fawns, nestled under a tree awaiting their mother's return. Often walked into flocks of wild turkeys or grouse. I also loved seeing and hearing the red-shouldered hawks as they swooped and soared in the sky above me. Many times I would mimic their cries and call them down to fly over me. these are good memories.

I truly miss those days of long walks and freedom in the wilds of Pennsylvania.

3. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I tend to park the car somewhere safe and cover it with a carp. Then I go for a nice long hike. I love saying that it's only because of my experience with video games that I'm as good as packing light while still getting the best value. Anyway, my sketch pad gets as much of a work out as my digital camera and I tend to get some good catches - rabbit, fish, and such. I guess I enjoy it because I enjoy the relative quiet of it in comparison with what I usually have to deal with.

Draft saved Draft deleted