1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Backpacking stoves

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by AurelioLeo, Mar 20, 2013.

1. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

What backpacking stoves would you recommendation to your fellow campers? I have reviewed some different models that coleman has come out with. They have a dual fuel 1-burner stove, 1-burner propane stove, and Fuel stove models. What do you recommend?

2. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

You should investigate the simple DIY alcohol stoves made from left over cans. Some pretty cool designs are out there and lots of video as well.

I made a couple of different models and they do work but require quite a bit of fiddling (not the musical instrument!) and the one that worked the best I made from a New (cheap) paint can/lid from the Home Superstore. You fill it with cotton balls (maybe some gravel first to give it weight on the bottom), then pour in a bunch of 91% rubbing alcohol. The lid seals the can well so the alcohol does not evaporate.

I also put three vertical metal pieces ( clamped with a big hose clamp) to put the pan on to boil/cook. These vertical pieves could even be large nails (head up) but I used some metal rod I had. I bent the tops of the three rods so then I can twist them inwards and slide down for storage. then when I need to cook I just twist the rods up and out, pry off the can lid and light the cotton.

I does not get real hot but with a small metal pot I can boil water in just a few minutes. One thing to remember is that alcohol burns very clear (or very light blue) so you cannot really tell if it's lit during the day - so be careful !!!

3. Bushman

Bushman Newbie

I would suggest getting a lighter or matches, some firestarter, and building yourself a nice little fire.

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I think the original poster is looking for something a bit better suited for cooking whole meals.

Although if you are interested you can take a look at the DIY alcohol stove I posted over here,

http://campingbabble.com/threads/alcohol-burning-survival-stove-using-a-pop-can.116/

5. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

Old school style of making an "open fire" sure does bring memories. Most campgrounds in Washington state sadly don't let you anymore. Smokie the bear is on the watch out there.

Draft saved Draft deleted