1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Backpacking Water Filtration and Treatment?

Discussion in 'Food' started by MyLimitDoesNotExist, Mar 23, 2016.

1. I've been quite happy with my FirstNeed XL filter and pump for backpacking trips, as it filters and treats the water for both bacteria and viruses. Unfortunately, it's beginning to fall apart now after many trips and it seems as though the company has gone out of business, as I haven't been able to find anywhere to buy a replacement. I'd love to hear some input on what the best replacement would be for this.

It would have to be some kind of pump as opposed to a lifestraw-type system, as I use a platypus hydration pack which wouldn't work with a straw. Thanks for your help!

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

upload_2016-3-23_17-39-49.jpeg upload_2016-3-23_17-41-44.jpeg

To each his own. I use two Katydin water filter systems - the pump kind and the base camp filter each shown. What you use depends on what your style is. I prefer excellent no nonsense equipment with no fandangle stuff. There are several other different models on the market too.

Do the research and listen to what consumers have said about the product and not what the manufacturer as said. :)

WHEN ALL ELSE HAS FAILED BOIL THE WATER (UNTIL IT IS ROLLING) ABOUT FIVE MINUTES.

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Are you looking to filter water that comes from streams and lakes? I usually just use tablets for disinfecting the water and try to get it from the away from the shore (by swimming or canoeing out a 10 meters or so) where there is much stuff that would need filtering out

her :oops:

Northern Dancer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted