1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Backpacking

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by ExplorePathfinder, Aug 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. I'm joining some fiends for a backpacking trip on the Jim Weaver National Recreation Trail around Waldo Lake in Oregon in a few weeks, so I'm training. I started carrying my pack, partially filled, for a one mile (1.6 km) walk. I'm now up to 2.5 miles (4 km) with the pack almost filled. I'm keeping my pace a bit faster than 20 min/mi (12.5 min/km) on flat ground. Hopefully a couple weeks with a walk like that every day and I'll be good to go. We'll be three nights out, but only covering around 6 miles (10 km) per day on fairly level ground. I just created an article and a video about the pack I'm using (Osprey Atmos 65 AG). Check it out at Global Creations EXPLORE! and let me know what you think. If you have any questions, comment here or on the article page and I'll answer them as best I can. Also, if you watch the video and can offer some ideas for what to take (or not to take), how to better pack the pack or whatever, I'm open. Anyone else going backpacking??
    -Jerry-

Adjustments.jpg

Northern Dancer likes this.
  2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I know what that stuff (backpacking) is about - I did the Algonquin Trails in June early July.

What to take or not to take is really about task centred needs with just a tad of wants - but very very few. Sounds like you are already experienced. I found the more I back packed the more I learned what is really essential and what isn't. Same as tripping - after awhile it's not about pleasing your ego or wowing your colleagues; it becomes down to earth practicability and legitimate intelligence.

Hiking, Camping, Tripping and the enjoyment of the same really become the crucial issue and what one needs to accomplish that.

So...how much does the pack weigh? :)

I've invested in a lot of light weight equipment in the last few years - getting older and I don't want to carry all that stuff unless it is absolutely important - and really needed. I spend time looking for excellent packaged foods, to avoid any purchase at the outdoor store - saves a lot of money.

Training - a smart idea. I'm always amazed at the individual spirited person who jumps right into things - not really having any clue what it is all about. As old scouters we can appreciate that circumstance. :hilarious:

3. Northern Dancer

@ExplorePathfinder

Things that I really enjoyed about your video [I just have to tell you this].

Absolutely clear instructions and excellent voice.
    None of that clumsiness, poor grammar and gestures.
    No airplanes passing over and silly noises to interrupt the presentation.
    AND you know your stuff.

One of the better videos that I have watched - and I've watched a lot of them.

Love to see more!

:bear: He knows how much the pack weights - he was joshing you.

4. For those that don't know, the pack weighs 2kg and can hold up to about 23kg. The way I pack it in the video the total weight, pack and all is about 18kg.

Thanks for the kind words! You missed the jets going over and the occasional brushing against the mic, but I was using a lavalier mic so those extraneous noises didn't end up being too disturbing. Did you see the cat, Maya, making a cameo appearance?

5. Northern Dancer

____________________________________________________________ :)

There's always a ham...I mean cat in the scene. Really - compared (as you know) to some of the stuff on the net yours was really professional. I spent time exploring the site too and enjoyed that as well. Glad you are with us - it would be nice if your shared more of your expertise with the Babble family.

6. Here's a little piece of knowledge I've been thinking about as I lug my 40 pound (18kg) pack around trying to get into shape. The water badder I put into the pack holds 3 liters (2.6 quarts) that's 3kg of water (6.6 pounds) or 17% of the total weight. Since the trip I'm taking will follow a trail around the circumference of a lake that has some of the cleanest lake water on the planet, why carry that much water? I have a filter that's supposed to get out everything including viruses so, I'll just take a water bottle and refill it as needed. My legs already feel better! It would be a different story if the hike was in a drier place. [All the mixed conversions are for you @NorthernDancer cuz I know you love that stuff!]

7. Northern Dancer

__________________________________________________________________________ :)

I discovered that too. As you, I carry an excellent water filtration device. We survey the topographical maps carefully to know where water can be found.

Water is heavy and when I've canoed by myself I have filled my dry bags with water and put them on the front (stern) of my canoe so I don't have to change positions to accommodate the unbalance.

Trust you are having a fabulous summer - I'll be gone for a week at a camp on Lake Huron soon and then in September I will be back in Algonquin Park.

Draft saved Draft deleted