1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Backyard camping

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Jessi, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

As an adult, I don't have a lot of interest in sleeping right outside my own house unless it's because I fall asleep on the porch accidentally.

As a kid, though, the idea of camping out in the backyard was awesome. Do you let your kids set up the tent and sleep out back? Have you ever roasted hot dogs or marshmallows in your own yard before?

2. lindsay365

lindsay365 Newbie

I only do that during Christmas and New Year Eve celebrations. It is a little bit weird sleeping out in the cold uncomfortable yard while i have a comfortable bed where I can rest all night. I does not really make sense to simply sleep anywhere near my home. I even do not sleep at the neighbors' place irrespective of what time of the night it is.

3. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

We used to do it as kids and it was fun and the parents loved the fact that it was cheap!

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

As a kid I remember peering over the backyard fence and seeing my neighbors doing this all the time and thinking it was kind of strange because the tent was setup just a few meters from the house. I live in an urban area though and there are all kinds of bylaws so roasting hot dogs or having any kind of fire is pretty much not allowed.

5. lindsay365

lindsay365 Newbie

Just out of curiosity, when you go on a backyard camping, do you carry anything to the camp or you do everything from the house then go to sleep in the tent! Its a bit funny to have such an idea. It should also be very interesting i guess. How exactly do you prepare for a backyard camping or there is really no preparation but an impromptu thing. I wish I had such a life when I was much younger. I would not be sleeping at the neighbor's

6. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Newbie

Yes I let my kids do that alot. They have an absolute blast. One time I caught them trying to run extention cords out there and try taking the tv to their tent..LOL. And yes we always roast hot dogs and make smores in the backyard. We have a nice campfire pit we take full advantage of in the summer.

7. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I'm kinda jealous, I don't think a camp fire pit would go over too well in an urban area like the one I live in.

8. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

Yeah, urban areas aren't as likely to be okay with camp fire pits. :(

My first set of smores was actually inside and made over the open flame on a gas stove, lol! So even just pulling out a barbecue and getting to 'roast' things outside could still be fun.

9. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

It was safer to let when I was a kid to camp in the backyard. These days you got to many people breaking into homes and stealing kids from inside. I remember when you didn't have to lock your doors at night.

10. Kementarri

Kementarri Newbie

I remember as a kid that when I was able to camp out in the back yard I did it with a lot of friends and we were able to have a campfire and roast marshmallows and sing songs. It was a lot of fun, but now-a-days I don't think I would really recommend it to anyone because of the type of people who are out there. I don't think it really is such a safe thing to do anymore...

The last time I slept in a tent in the back yard of someone's house it was because I was homeless and my friend's parents didn't want to see my boyfriend and I sleeping in our car so they made us stay in their backyard in a tent.

The only time I would say that it would be okay is if you are doing it with a lot of people... then it might be slightly more safer (say with parties or whatnot).

11. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I am hoping this summer that I can camp out with my nephew in the backyard. He loves the idea of being close to home and yet sleeping in a tent. I don't think I would let children sleep in the tent alone anymore do to the people that roam the streets at night and also the mischief that children can get into when left alone.
    I hope to get a metal fire pit so we can have a small camp fire without starting a major grass fire, and cook hotdogs and smores, or just toast marshmellows.

Draft saved Draft deleted