1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Bad weather in the camp

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Alexandoy, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

There are campsites that has a swimming pool, offers horseback riding, and other activities. But when it rains, it is better to just stay in the tent and savor the difficult life of a camper. As they say, you cannot do that at home. It is silly to ride on a horse wth the wet weather for an accident may just be waiting to happen. Think of the muddy ground huh. Maybe the swimming pool is just fine provided you have the capability to withstand the cold water. This post is a warning to campers in resorts that have facilities. Camping is not really a picnic but an adventure to be enjoyed.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Luxurious camps that have swimming pools, horseback riding and other programs are usually youth camps and private tourist camp grounds in this neck of the woods. I'm a camper camper and prefer to be as far away from that kind of stuff as possible. Looking at an RV parked beside me would be a nightmare.

No...give me the wilderness every time when only a canoe will suffice and the open water way is the highway.

37_new.jpg

Lake Louisa

...just pure open space without another person for miles.
    Now that's my way of camping.

And rain you say?

It's all part of the adventure.
    Nothing like stretching out on a huge bolder warmed by the heat of the sun and
    watching a full grown thunderstorm in all it's glory in the distance.
    Nothing like dancing in the rain and letting the refreshing drops
    splash down on you with every drop telling you that you are alive.
    It's pure fun stomping in the puddles like a child without Mom telling you to stop.

It's the camping life Dude.

cano_at_Lousie.jpg canoe_tent.jpg

Are there any other campers out there?

happyflowerlady likes this.
  3. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

I am pretty sure that we have all been here before, at least to some degree. I would say the good news is that you tend to get pretty good at preparing for it and planning ahead, so just call it some early learning experiences.

4. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

That sounds like my kind of camping fun, too, @Northern Dancer , or at least it did back when I was still able to enjoy that kind of lifestyle. I have never had good balance; so even back in the camping days, I chose places that didn't have steep trails, or a hard climb down to the lake or river.
    Or when we did to somewhere that had a steep bank, then I had to pick my way down carefully, and it would take me forever. By the time I got down to the lake, my family would already have their fishing poles baited and in the water. Yes, I was that slow !
    About the only kind of camping that I would be able to manage nowdays would be to go to one of the campgrounds that has facilities, and thus, lots of other campers, and none of the peaceful solitude that is to be found at some mountain lake.
    I enjoy seeing the pictures and videos that my son and grandsons post on Facebook, and I am glad that they learned to camp when they were children, and have passed that joy along to my grandchildren.

Northern Dancer likes this.
  5. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

@happyflowerlady....your circumstance reminds me of the time my buddy and I camped at Grey Lake. It was crown land and there were no designated camp sites [no outhouses and picnic tables either]. The only place anywhere big enough to take our small tent was on a small incline on the shore. Not a big one but just large enough to be irritating. All night long we managed to slide down to the bottom on top of one another. We wake up and get settled and down we would slide again. Not a comfortable position to find yourself. Another incident to laugh at around a campfire.

30_new.jpg 35_new.jpg

Just a few portages on that trip.
    Oh ya...we safely learned what Ontario Hydro meant when they said WARNING.

upload_2017-7-19_21-57-29.png

We say this sign and obeyed the warning.
    Our signs are red with Ontario Hydro symbol in the corner.
    We actual witness the changing of a placid river into a raging torrent.

happyflowerlady likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted