1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Baggy omlettes

Discussion in 'Food' started by campforums, Feb 23, 2013.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I came across a great idea for making eggs while camping, since bringing a frying pan is pretty hard you can use a regular zip lock bag instead. You could probably also substitute the eggs for powdered eggs to make this recipe even more portable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6TyXxLWYd0

2. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

Tha is clever, thanks for posting. I can even use that in a post hurricane situation since eggs keep fine in a cooler.

3. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

I love the idea, but unfortunately, I've been told not to do it because the plastic can melt....or even if it appears intact, the chemicals from it can end up in your food. I don't know how much of it is true.

Here's a little more about it, though: http://camping.about.com/od/campingrecipes/a/ziplocbaggies.htm

4. Karto

Karto Newbie

I prefer boiled eggs, either soft or hard boiled.

It seems to me that this could be a little disgusting to eat for some people :?

5. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

I was thinking about the plastic seepage myself after thinking about the idea later. Perhaps there are bags that are food safe for boiling? Hmm, I'll have to keep that in mind.

6. writefish

writefish Newbie

I just saw an idea along the same lines using a paper bag. you line the bottom of the bag with bacon then crack the eggs on top. The grease from the bacon cooks the eggs and to eat you turn the top of the bag down to make a bowl so to speak. No need for a pan or a plate. I would like to try it, not sure how high above the flame and for how long it would take to cook, but seems like a great and green idea...you can even throw the bag in the fire when done.

7. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Thanks for the link, I guess this is something to eat only occasionally at most. I sometimes have to microwave plastic containers when I don't have any other option and it hasn't killed me yet, although I know it isn't healthy.

Perhaps, I'll definitely keep an eye out. Although I'm not sure if that is the sort of thing they would put on the box. You might have to do some research on the different types of plastics.

How does this work? With the baggy method, the bag just boils in water and cooks what's inside. Wouldn't a paper bag disintegrate and get your food all wet?

8. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Newbie

This sounded really good as I was watching the video. My kids love omelettes and they would eat this right up. But then I started reading the other comments about the plastic bag contaminating the food. So now I am not sure I want to take that risk. I personally do not think the whole paper bag idea would work out so well. This is a shame because it seemed so good in the video. Are their any other solid alternatives that anyone has tried and would like to share?

9. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I don't see any problem with this, but then again I don't really do the soft scramble or any kind of scramble. I'm more of an omlet or breakfest bowl kind of person.

Draft saved Draft deleted