1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Bamboo for cooking

Discussion in 'Food' started by Alexandoy, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

Have you experienced eating food that is cooked in bamboo cylinders? In one of our camping days when I was already a college student, I was taught to gather bamboo which is not easy. The bamboo pole I got was cut into cylinders of about 18 inches long. An opening was cut on the side where the rice was inserted together with water. The bamboo was then placed over the fire. With the dish of fish, it’s the same procedure except that the water and seasoning were boiled first before adding the fish. It was one of the best meals I had taken in camping. And I am willing to pay much just to experience it again.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...no, I haven't had that experience but I have done this over the fire.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYmyXEXkkyMYgtwaLH7s0HknChip2hsnVw7DfnhQrYQX58VovFrw.jpg or this way too images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSN8lfvs2SP0ftDUChHDHDjLm9ffXUQhXopc-QnxQbHMnPhj0LC_g.jpg

Nothin like chomping down on fresh roasted peaches and cream corn on the cob.

3. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Roasted peaches, @Northern Dancer ? I have never tried roasting a peach, much less doing it over a campfire; but I do like the sound of the idea. All I see in your pictures is the roasted corn (which IS delicious, and I have done that); so maybe you can enlighten us more about how to roast peaches.
    Do you cook them whole, or sliced and seasoned and sweetened ?
    We also used to make meals in the coals and used aluminum foil for that, when we went fishing. Usually, we wrapped whole potatoes in the foil and then put them in the coals while we fished, and hopefully caught enough fish to have for dinner. The fish were easy to cook over the campfire, and then we could have them along with the roasted potatoes.
    I am pretty sure that I have cooked chicken that way, too; but more often, I just put it on the grill and let it cook over the hot coals.

4. Northern Dancer

...ha ha :). I'm glad that you pointed that out to me @happyflowerlady. We often use terms we understand but don't always take into account others may not. "Peaches & Cream" is a name of a sweet corn that is exceptionally mouth watering delicious. Specially grown for the likes of folks like me.

View attachment 2347

View attachment 2348

Comes in cans too.

One of the marks of this kind of sweet corn are the golden and light coloured kernels. Thus the name. Come around the Fall Harvest there are booths all over the country side selling the same; just like the Maple Syrup.

Now about that pear pie? Yes I certainly do. Take some of those firm Bartlett pears and the regular ingredients [brown sugar, cinnamon, wholesome butter and the like] and you have a mighty fine pie that goes well with some cheddar and ice cream. A whole lot of ice cream for me please. :)

View attachment 3248

happyflowerlady likes this.
  5. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

Just got really hungry. I like fire baked apples. When we camp we do what we call hobos. We wrap ground beef with potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and what ever else can think of in foil throw it in the fire about 10 or 15 minutes a side and bam your eating like a hobo.

Sent from my E39 using Tapatalk

6. Northern Dancer

...aw yes - delicious in every way. You can do chicken, salmon, pork chops and so on. Always easy and soooooo good. Like others I put my salmon on one of those bake boards - another easy preparation. Then there is the swinging chicken....okay okay that's enough!

7. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

One of my favorite camp foods is the Mountain Man Breakfast. In a cast iron skillet you add, hash browns, bacon, hot sausage, eggs, salsa, cedar cheese, jalapenos. I really like to cover the top with Chalula sauce with a shot of tabasco. It's filling and satisfying.

Bibsoutdoors

8. Northern Dancer

...I can sees it and I can smells it. So good. I already said that. Try sooooo scrumptious.

View attachment 2349 Excuse me dude.....make that three eggs. :)

View attachment 3249 ...and baked potato too!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2017
  9. Northern Dancer

...and then there is ===== >

View attachment 3251

I put a trivet at the base of my Dutch oven and cover it with a sheet of tinfoil to prevent burning. I have a glass see through lid to watch the natural goodness taking place. I pour just a tad of Manischewitz mazel tov to enrich the flavour. Good wine during the meal too.

Just got a message from the Giant Head!

Remember the TV sitcom Third Rock from the Sun?

View attachment 2350 Anyway ------>

FROM MEMBERS

OF
    CAMPING BABBLE
    INTERNATIONAL

happyflowerlady likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted