1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Bannock on a Stick

Discussion in 'Food' started by 2sweed, Oct 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Use: 3 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, 2 tablespoons of baking powder, 1/4 cup butter, 1 1/2 cup water.
    First mix the dry ingredients then add the water and melted butter, and stir well.
    Knead the dough 10 times. then form into balls of dough and roll the balls between your hands to form long narrow rolls.
    take each of these and wrap around and stick and bake over your campfire until done.

bannock on stick.jpg

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Right on - it's great isn't it?

Then...maybe...just a pinch of cinnamon. I don't use butter - though I think I'm going to try that. :happy:

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Bread is a tricky food to bake, I don't know if mine would turn out so tasty looking. I've only ever done it with my bread making machine.

4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

It's really simple actually and surprising delicious. You can bake it in a skillet too and use it as a base for outdoor pizza. A little sauce, cheese, a dash of garlic, some pepperoni and walla a great meal or snack. I understand it originated in Scotland and was transported to the explorers and coureur des bois in the Canadas. Better than hardtack - a hard bread frequently used by sailors aboard HMS. :happy:

5. When we went on camping, we also baked a bannock on a stick on fire, but the dough still didn't turn out perfect. In my home life, I used a bread maker for this, I just made a form from metal with 6 long holes to preserve the shape of the bannock. P.S. it's just advice about bread maker if you interested just get more information . But some of my friends said that on fire is tastier.

Draft saved Draft deleted