1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Barbecue is the easiest to cook

Discussion in 'Food' started by Alexandoy, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

Barbecue is the most commom food in campsites. Chicken, pork, other meats, fish and even vegetables can bebarbecued. Just get some wood if there is no charcoal. Big branches that are dry can give you a good fire. Use a stick if you have no grilling iron. There you go.

2. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

I think that all kinds of food tastes better when it is fresh cooked over a campfire, or on a BBQ outdoors. Even plain old hotdogs taste wonderful when you put them on a willow stick and cook them over campfire embers...... and marshmallows.......yum ! I really don't even like marshmallows; but when they are hot, fluffy and melted over the coals of a campfire, they have to be one of the best desserts in the world.
    We used to live out on the west coast of Washington State years ago, and sometimes we went to a state park near Olympia where a small creek met the inlet from Peugeot Sound. the tide would come in and meet the creek in a smal tidal pond, and then when it went back out again, just the trickling little creek would be there.
    When the tide was in, we fished and we caught small bass and flounder, and sometimes other fish. When the tide went back out, we would dig for sand worms for more bait. Sand worms are not exactly a worm; but they live in the wet sand, and are about the size of a nightcrawler. However, they have little legs like a caterpillar, and they have a head, and they BITE . It so not bad, but you can expect them to bite you when you put one on your hook for bait.
    Anyway, back to the story...... When we had enough fish, we went back into the park and started a little fire in one of the BBQ pits and then we roasted our fish on the coals, and that was our dinner.
    I still have fond memories of those fishing trips, and wish I could do that again.
    Here is a picture of a sand worm. it might not be exactly like the ones we used to dig up and catch; but it will give you a good idea of what they looked like.
    IMG_0660.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted