1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Base Camp TOILETS...

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Northern Dancer, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...okay, okay, okay ---------> not the most pleasant of topics but if you are human well...err...a...toilet or facsimile are things that ya gotta reckon with. Right? I mean...like, there is no way you can avoid the subject mater if you are a camper.

upload_2016-11-19_21-49-21.jpeg

Algonquin Park Outback "Thunder Box"
    Excluding the flush toilets that you might find in State and Provincial Parks [or other jurisdictions] you might be in a position they are not available. So here are some of the things that I do.

WHEN TRIPPING the standard thunder box is located at all camp sites on a trip route. So what I do is wear gloves, [1] throw buckets of water down to level the matter and to keep it smelling clean, [it actually works], [2] I bleach or use Pine Sol to disinfect the wood [making sure to wipe around underneath the seat] and [3] I always bring a toilet seat. AND OH YA - I ALWAYS SEEM TO HAVE TO CLEAN UP AFTER OTHERS :banghead: .

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWJpePggWCDktdD8TcgXKpepPBLshOzWTs8AcbZjn4ETq4LjJTNg.jpg

WHEN TRIPPING WHERE THERE IS NO THUNDER BOX I use the LEAVE NO TRACE and ETHICALLY REQUIRED behaviour to manage human waste. It's my stuff - I do it right for health and safety. I also bring a portable toilet seat on legs. You can squat on logs if you like but what the heck - a little luxury will make you feel better - right? :)
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTLODbREb3BT3rE1yR4a5CmEZOI_gY1f2y5zm9-IZYGdswowwi.jpg Make sure you are on flat ground. I don't use the container - so make sure you have dug a hole as deep as possible.

WHEN BACK AT BASE CAMP I do this kind of stuff -

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQSmBa25Ks_Fa7MbhXquwrnReYke7cZdHKe0LdPvX4lgzNKN69_g.jpg + upload_2016-11-19_22-26-13.jpeg =

upload_2016-11-19_22-26-59.jpeg + IMG_0365.jpg
    Home made wash station.

A couple of other "tings" - I place white toilet paper in a waterproof container. Ever try to use wet paper? :hungover: ALWAYS have a hand sanitizer at your clean up sites.

IMG_0110.jpg An out house at Haliburton Forest camp site - I just bleach it out.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTejQoZreADedfX4Kf3ChO14NFtlH0eyAXaGPcj02GydS5U3fAk.png

killeroy154 likes this.
  2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Thank you. It is always a non discussed matter. This I think is what discourages most people from camping out side of facilitated camp grounds, and a persons privacy is nothing to be ashamed of. I have been searching for a suitable setup. I am going to ponder on this for awhile.

3. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Oh I love your wash station setup.

4. Northern Dancer

...when in Algonquin Provincial Park this is the kind of station you can expect in all camp grounds.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSuVj520efvasbNVwaykEt9_qNJvZWTlvkZqXPaHoKUUQuiVMh.jpg

Each has a separate lockable shower stall and flush toilets
    that are kept clean and tidy by Park Staff.

For those of us who head for the interior
    it is the famous thunder box.

5. janojebo

janojebo Newbie

We bought Porta Potti to use during the cold season when the water to our cabin is turned off. We have experience with RV toilets so our expectations weren't too high. The seat height is the same as our conventional toilet and is comfortable. The flush is adequate but we use water from a jug for the big jobs. The holding tank is easy to empty into our underground waste holding tank. The wash station looks great, does the shelter hold good in wind?
    sKrn6XT.png

6. Northern Dancer

...looks great @janojebo just a tad more luxurious than the set up that I have. My "wash stand" holds in the wind but I usually put another tarp over the top and peg it to the ground to give it more security and water resilience. It works fine for me.

Must have missed you - WELCOME TO CAMPING BABBLE! :)

IMG_0658.jpg

I wonder...do you think it will make it?

Draft saved Draft deleted