1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Best brand of fishing poles?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ashley0323, Sep 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ashley0323

ashley0323 Novice Camper

We are going camping soon, and plan to go fishing a couple times. Now, i'm realizing that we need fishing poles. What brand would you suggest? I am wanting something that is good quality and not over priced.

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Wow that's a tuff question. I think a rod and reel combo would be your best bang for the buck. I have always been partial to Shimano brand, spin cast would be the most versatile.

e8385ac1b16284b320e3dbea19a9371f.jpg

Of course other brands like Mitchel, Abu Garcia, Quantum, lews and etc. make some nice products. Most decent combos I think you could expect 60 dollars and up. The one pictured is a Shimano and it was around 70. Don't get sold a bait caster unless you are experienced with throwing them.

Another concideration is what type of fish? If you are going for big fish (4 pounds and up) and are throwing heavy baits (1/2 Oz and up) then you will need a heavy rod and reel with 8 pound or more line.

If you are going for pan fish like trout, bream, crappie, or even walleye or small mouth under 20 inches, then the medium light would do well.

Look on the reel spool, usually the line size is listed 4 to 8 pound is a light to medium, 6 to 14 is medium heavy. I would guess about a 6 foot rod would be average. 2 piece rods are easier to transport and store.

Sorry I guess I made it look complicated. I have and still use a medium size spin cast reel ( Shimano Spirex 1000 just to give you a size reference). I have 4 pound line on it, and I use it for crappie, bream, and trout. The other reel is the same thing only I have 8 pound braided line on it because I use it for walleye and small mouth bass when I drift the rivers. I use the same type of medium size 6 foot rod. This is my dad, he caught this fish with a medium size rod and reel with 6 pound line.

b99fc55df3587f33cdd7533d2ed0eb1d.jpg

Don't worry about casting a mile, if you can comfortably cast a small 3 inch lure 20 to 40 feet, then that is good. Most all fish I catch are within 20 feet from the bank

Northern Dancer likes this.
  3. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Dad and I are fishing now. Here is picture of size of reel.

c24c54f828bfdd4b35af316e56a294f8.jpg

4. DeepFryer

DeepFryer Novice Camper

How much are you looking to spend? what fish do you plan on going after? I would recommend going with ugly stick combo very good deal for the price. They start at 40$ this rod and reel will last you a life time if you take care of it properly. I use a ABU Garcia rod which is quite more than what you are probably willing to spend (150$). If you live near a Bass pro they have some very good house brand rod and reel combos for the price point(under 30 $), I know many novice fishermen who are happy with buying that brand and it has lasted them years. I go fishing about 50-60 times a year if you have any other questions just ask!

campforums likes this.
  5. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I like ugly sticks also. I have had one for years. Thanks DeepFryer.

6. HikingHans

HikingHans Novice Camper

To be honest, I have not bought one in adulthood. My wife's grandfather has made us several over the years. He no longer does so because he is in advanced age and is partially blind, but the poles he's made are real works of art.

7. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

I am not really sure which one is the best, but I know that I have used St. Croix brand poles a lot. I only really know that though because that is the one that is my favorite, and really the only one that I ever use. I should probably start trying out some new ones and maybe switching things up a little bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted