1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Best Instant Tent?

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by missyify, Jul 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Our tent is pretty quick to set up, but not with toddlers trying to run across it during setup. I found a cool beach shade/tent that you just pull a cord and set 8 stakes. I'd like to find something similar for a camping tent that I can set up by myself with 3 little kids running around. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Uh well umm... you can pick up a cheap old worn out tent at yard sell or something, and put the kids to the task of putting it up, and while they are occupied you can put up a better one. Ha. Or you can have some real fun and tie them to a tree and make it into a game of getting lose.

My brother bought a coleman tent that was supposed to set up in 10 min. Ya right. Took us better than thirty minutes. Maybe no joke, if you can occupy them with something then you might have a chance.

I would think the domes that only have 2 poles and don't have a separate rain fly. Always seems like a rain fly is a pain in the rear and takes the longest to attach, and stake out

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

The good tents take a little more time but are really worth it. Like I've shared before...I stay away from pop up anything no matter what the manufacturer says about their product. :)

My suggestion would be to team up with another mother and kinda juggle the supervision among you. Watching children can be an interesting if not challenging experience any time.

I would agree with killeroy154 that a dome like tent might be the best answer. But like I said good tents take time to be set properly to accomplish the intended goal.

And another tip - PLAN, PLAN, PLAN.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1qkPVmubOGPToPkW7Z1BHOHab_6HS8qvcDtrywMHceQxHQk_I.jpg

4. missyify

missyify Survivalist

That's actually a really good idea lol. The old tent one, that is. I think tying kids to a tree might be a little frowned upon. Getting the rain fly up isn't a huge deal since it's already up at that point. Just getting the tent laid out and the poles situated... Someone has to go potty, someone else is hungry then someone else realizes, "You know what makes a fun noise? This tent under my feet!"

2sweed likes this.
  5. missyify

missyify Survivalist

My mom would be helping "in theory"... in practice, she'd probably be fussing at me as I'm putting up the tent as the kids are running all over the tent (there's a reason I'm an only child). She camps out of her truck.

As things are right now, my husband decides he wants to camp about 2 hrs before he wants to leave... since my kids have food allergies, the priority is getting food.

Hoping that when I start planning my own trips I'll figure out how to manage... the old tent idea was something I'd like to try or maybe even a kid tent or some other project they would get involved with.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

6. Northern Dancer

I've learned from some camping Moms as base camp is being put up other parents take the children down to the beach, a short hike, some near by place of interest in the park, check out the washrooms, pick up the newsletters etc. etc.

I don't have children though there are some adults I would like to send down to the beach or encourage a short hike. :)

I'm one of those kind of campers - "I'm going now!" BUT...I'm thoroughly packed, ready and though I can move in a flash I am planned and execute well.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEzd11a0B3iZDCnNjLML2IL_ITIF9r9F7UzaToK_zK6FDD7HbApA.jpg
    Oh...and another thing. There are helpful hints on the net for Moms who camp with children.
    [Since I'm not a Mom and don't always appreciate their circumstance.]

2sweed likes this.
  7. missyify

missyify Survivalist

More good ideas! I think about 3/4 of our last trips we ended up getting to the camp ground around sundown and dinner time which was a big part of the problem.

I have most of our stuff packed in 3 bins but one or two of them has been left behind, too lol. I'm more of the plan and organize type, my husband is completely fly by the seat of his pants... Which is how I used to be but life around allergies and my youngest's severe eczema has made me completely crazy.

Hubs works a lot so I'm kind of hoping to make some trips with my mom or my uncle and his 3 kids.

8. Northern Dancer

Sounds like you are really into this camping stuff - more power to you! Experience helps us grow and become more efficient as time goes by. As a former Camp Director I know that camp life builds character in young lives. It really helps unify a a family and provides an environment that enables youth to explore and learn who there are without the often hostile circumstance of the city.

missyify and killeroy154 like this.
  9. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I used to think the same way, then I saw a friends instant-tent in action and it changed my mind. I think they have been steadily improving, the one I saw was very sturdy and the poles were flexible sort of bent to the curve of the canvas. It ended up being very tight and sturdy, I was in disbelief because it ended up being better than my manual tent and took a fraction of the time to setup (about 1 minute to take out and unfold). That being said, I haven't seen any pop up tents as big as some of the ones you have, or any that have smoke holes for winter camping :eek:

10. missyify

missyify Survivalist

My beach tent got me thinking because it is so easy to set up and sturdy against the beach winds even with one side that's open; it'd take off like a kite if it wasn't secure. Heck my kids practically all sleep on top of me, it wouldn't even need to be a huge tent.

campforums likes this.
  11. Northern Dancer

"A fraction of the time"really doesn't make any difference to me. If I'm out for two or three weeks a few extra minutes isn't an issue. I sold my large 12 X 20 to a a guy in Edmonton and to take pictures of the tent I had to set it up - myself: it took me 40 minutes. So...I suppose one has to decide what's best for themselves. I figure I'll have 66 camper days in by the end of the year.

On my next canoe trip [starting next Sunday] I'll be using a light Orion 7 and it only takes me a moment to set it up.

And this may sound strange. I enjoy everything camping - so I really don't worry about time - it's all fun for me.

campforums likes this.
  12. Sarah89

Sarah89 Novice Camper

We go camping at least once a month during the warm months and have the Ozark Trail 14 x 10 and love it. It is plenty big enough for our entire family and haven't had any leaking issues.

missyify likes this.
  13. campforums

That's a popular tent based on my anecdotal experience, I've seen it mentioned a few times on these forums and I think I have a friend that has one as well.

missyify likes this.
  14. Northern Dancer

I have an Ozark Dinning shelter (pictured on my Algonquin Trip - with fly). I like it because it has a door in the front and a full zipper in the back to accommodate the placing of a picnic table.
    upload_2016-8-6_16-29-7.jpeg
    I hated bending over every time I wanted to go in. This product was perfect. Though not water proof I simply put a fly over it and haven't had any problems.

missyify likes this.
  15. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Thanks! I'll check it out!

16. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Sounds like something my husband would say, but kinda nice not to share food with our little six-legged, winged friends.

17. Northern Dancer

<----- :) ----->

18. campforums

Great for keeping the bugs off while you're eating!

19. Northern Dancer

-------------------------------------------------------------> :)
    And it's nice eating dinner in the middle of a down pour too.

20. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I bought one of these canopies early last year. Doesn't pack well and not bug resistant, but it fit in the bottom of my canoe when in its carry case. My nephew and I enjoyed it at base camp. We found out that you could store things like toilet paper, silverware pack, matches, paper towels and even hang pots and pans and dry clothing from the accordion frame under the canvas. We put the fire ring just under the edge of it and this would trap the heat under the roof for staying warm and drying clothes.

Of course we kept it neat and tidy so it wouldn't look like a rummage sale in the woods.
    uploadfromtaptalk1470539939437.png

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Draft saved Draft deleted