1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Best type of kayak for a newbie

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by Onatah, Oct 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Onatah

Onatah Novice Camper

I was wondering what you more experienced water campers would suggest a newbie to kayaking look for when purchasing their first kayak. Both my husband and myself are new to it and would now like to purchase our own kayaks to use next summer. Thought this time of year we may be able to score some deals, perhaps even used, so wanted to know what to look for. I know the one our friends put me in my first time was one that was harder to tip over. How do I know it's harder to tip over when looking at kayaks?

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Reluctant to get involved in this conversation because I'm a canoe person. :(

:) I've had a few canoes though and when I decided to buy a real canoe I used the experience to guide me in the purchase of a Kevlar Ultra Light Prospector.

:thumbsup: So my suggestions would be -
    Try (test drive) various models to see what you like and feels best for you.
    (You can do that by renting the same.)
    :peeking:Again :peeking:
    Ask yourself the questions - How often will I use this piece of equipment?
    (Would it be better to rent?)
    Under what circumstances?
    In what conditions?
    AND how much I'm I prepared to invest?

ANOTHER THING THAT I ALWAYS DO - check out the big box stores like Cabela's and see what they have in their inventory. If I see something that I like I go to the web to get independent consumer's reports. If I decide to purchase then I make price comparisons and I never buy a big ticketed item unless it is on sale.

:) HOPE THAT IS HELPFUL

3. Onatah

Onatah Novice Camper

Stellar advice, @Northern Dancer (as always!). I do appreciate the time you took to help me with that. I'd LOVE to buy a canoe one day. I'd actually prefer that, I think, to buying a kayak but we have a group of friends who kayak regularly when we camp with them and we don't want to always borrow theirs. Given where we live (boonies), any towns near us do rent kayaks. I wonder if they'd let you rent them for other rivers than those they are situated on or if you have to stay right there. Worth asking.

4. Northern Dancer

@Onatah - In the spring especially there are kayak/canoe companies that sponsor "Come out and try us day". I've taken a picnic lunch and have done just that. It's kinda fun trying out the various craft and getting to know about the latest model. They sell everything else too - different paddles, life jackets and did I say useless trinkets? :)

5. Onatah

Onatah Novice Camper

That is certainly something to watch for. I have a few friends that would love to go with me to take them up on a 'try me' day for kayaks. I don't remember seeing this before but can't say I was ever looking for such a thing, either. I never thought I'd enjoy a boat that wasn't designed for fishing. That said, I did recently see a kayak that was made specifically with fishing in mind. Now that is a kayak I'd love to rent to try out!

6. Northern Dancer

Onatah - like the canoe there are so many different models and each designed with a special purpose. There are fishing, trolling, white water, sea going and others as well. Each with there own price tag I might add.

7. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I have just recently found out about a different type of kayak that is very stable in the water and looks more like a canoe. The price seems fair in comparison to other makes and models. If anyone here knows of this type first hand please share opinions and info on this subject.

Pursuit Models | NuCanoe

Pursuit-Cyan-Top-copy kayak.jpg

8. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

The only kind of kayak that I have ever had so one of the sit-on-top ones, and it was much easier for me because I am a senior, and getting in and out of a regular kayak would have been impossible for me to do.
    With the one that I had, I could just wade out into the water a little ways, straddle my legs across the kayak, and sit down on it and then put my feet inside. It was all very simple and easy for me to do.
    That kayak was not as fast as a regular one is; so it probably would not be something that you would want if you were more experienced, and kayaking with a group of people.
    I had a friend that I went kayaking with, and she was pretty much of a novice also, although she was more experienced than I was.
    She originally had the sit-on-top kayak, and when I got one to go kayaking with her, the one that I got was one that you had to get down inside of , and she was experienced enough to be able to use that one; so we traded.
    When I got married and moved away; I left my kayak with her; but I do miss the fun we had being out on the summer lakes and paddling along.

9. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Thank you for sharing that info. I have often thought it would be fun to have a kayak, but the getting in and out would be a issue for me. But this flat top model might be something I could use on easy going rivers and inlets for exploring and fishing. sounds like you had some fun doing kayaking. :happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted