1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Best Type of Tent for Long Camping Trips Part 2

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Northern Dancer, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

:peeking: This is an instructional thread.

I've noticed there are several people who are interested in the topic,
    BEST TYPE OF TENT FOR LONG CAMPING TRIPS
    in fact, thousands have viewed the thread.
    In the first posting, there were a lot of great ideas for
    tents, accessories, guy lines, tips and such that are helpful.
    In this thread, I'm pulling these ideas together

to be helpful to newcomers.
    WHAT DO WE MEAN BY LONG CAMPING TRIPS?
    Any trip that lasts more than seven days.

WHAT IS MEANT BY THE TERM "BEST"?
    When we use the word best we are referring to what is appropriate for the situation or camping environment that you are planning to use the shelter.

KINDS OF TENTS
    To help focus on "type" we need to know there are approximately six categories of tents.

Backpacker including Motor Cycle and Bicycle
    Canoe Trippers and Tarp
    Lodge, Base and Family
    Outfitters
    Yurts and T-pees
    Arctic

WHAT ARE ACCESSORIES?
    Equipment that is attached thereto. We are referring to additional tarps that might be used, guy lines that you may want to upgrade; that would include stakes too. A tent foot [the ground sheet that goes under the tent] to protect against debris and prevent soiling. You may want a tent lantern or some other form of lighting. An inside covering to protect the floor or make it more comfortable for you if you are sleeping on the ground. An outside/inside mat is really great when there is inclement weather. You have to consider what kind of equipment you will have inside your tent. Things like sleeping bags, chair, table etc.

COSTS?
    You can go cheap but if you are doing anything long term it would be wise to consider a top notch excellent tent. You can get a cheapy at your local department store for $50.00 up or you can go to an outdoor store and go nuts. Some of my tents are well over a $1,000. [But...you don't need to spend that kind of money.] Your initial cost does not include the accessories that you want. TIP - only buy when on sale. The better times to purchase outdoor equipment is after the season usually starting in late July or August. The pre-summer season is also a good time to check out the wares.

THINGS TO CONSIDER
    Standing height, the weight of the tent, material, features, style, life expectancy, and your personal comfort.

YOU NEED TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND DO IT WELL!
    Whatever category you choose the first thing that I recommend is YOU DO NOT PURCHASE ANY BRAND TENT that you are familiar with. Instead, spend time checking out the wares of other companies and manufacturers. The name brands do not necessarily hold the reins on excellence - they just think they do. Do your research and check it all out. Then - check out independent customer reviews. Check the outdoor stores, and do not pass the little-known outlets - you might be surprised. When you have done all this it will be time to make a decision. Now, if you want to - go back and check ot the brand names.

DID YOU NOTICE?

I haven't recommended any brand or particular tent - that is up to you to decide. I didn't show any of my inventory though they are posted on other threads.

INTERESTED IN YOUR COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnRzKuCd8toeL-Qskln4Qv92cCaJhZgPnMxmWkZi7RtRO4SjPsbA.png

:bear: Baden Bear here.
    Northern Dancer has purchased an awful lot ot tents over the years and has kept up to date on the latest trends and fades.

2. mr.seangill

mr.seangill Novice Camper

I am a fairly recent convert to the hammock camping movement. Costs, weight, are a bit more than some single/two person tents but the sleep is far superior to anything ground sleeping can offer[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Northern Dancer likes this.
  3. Northern Dancer

EXCELLENT STUFF @mr.seangill; you are right on. [Love the pic.] Hammock camping has been increasing significantly these last number of years and the choices have increased to meet the many demands. A take-off on hammock camping is the hanging shelter in various forms.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3hA9DwGh9T3Ay_txPiJmj7X0aa3v0t6nRNC90Q_RdiVULApXa.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFlD8FTD3FQHMXVildYl2MkxAj0-yTW7WtEQuG2hQPJXzR3prf.jpg

@mr.seangill do you have the whole nine yards? By that I mean do you have the slumber pad or the pad insert for colder weather, the rope snakes etc.? Tell us more about the brand and the things that you found "best" for you.

Great to see you online; stop now. :)

4. mr.seangill

So here is my .02¢

Most people tend to fall into one of two camps;
    Buy off the rack
    Make it yourself

the vast majority of consumers are going to fall into the first camp which is buy off the rack. In the beginning for me it was mostly a cost factor. I think I fit right in with most of the do-it-yourself crew in this regard. So as you see pictured, my gear probably would be worth commercially around $1,500 conservatively - and my gear has a lifetime of use where most commercial gear will not be designed nor produced to the specifications used by most do-it-yourself people. DIY also allows the user an unlimited degree of creativity and personalization both in the design as well as the concept. Initially my drive to get something cheaper drove me towards extensive research.

www.hammockforums.com

What you saw pictured is *my DIY* set up in detail;
    12' DIY winter tarp w/doors - suspension 30' dynaglide anchored with 1 titanium Dutch Hook, 1 titanium Dutch Stinger and 2 adjustable TATO clips. Shealthed for temp/long-term storage in a (15' DIY snakeskin made of window sheer material). Floored with a 7' X 9' DIY PolyCro ground sheet.
    A DIY 12' gathered end hammock made of 1.6 oz HyperD - suspension - 2 8" continuous loops (7/64 amsteel), 1 Continuous Ridge Line (7/64 amsteel) 2 DIY soft shackles (7/64 amsteel carabineers), 2 Titanium Dutch Toggles, 2 15' Spider Straps (used to strap around the trees)
    8 Y aluminum Stakes - anchored to tarp with 8 - 6' lengths of Lawson's Glow wire.
    Insulated with a 20* Under Quilt from Underground Quilts LLC and a 0* Top Quilt from Wilderness Logics.

Northern Dancer likes this.
  5. Northern Dancer

FABULOUS - I like it @mr.seangill. [ Typo Correction: :( "DON'T stop now! :) ] I have a buddy who swears by the hammock. He has a Hennessy Deep Jungle Zip XL. He is the first one to have his system swinging in the breeze and the first one to break camp.

It would be great to see more pics when you have the time.

I think I'm somewhere in between, buying off the rack and making my own.

:bear: Baden Bear here.

Northern Dancer laughed when you said .02₵ worth - we start with nickles in this country, soon it will be dimes.

mr.seangill likes this.
  6. mr.seangill

Here are a few more - the close ups of the "loops" are the soft shackles which are like rope carabineers very strong but very light[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Northern Dancer

Three things captured my attention immediately @mr.seangill. Your setup, the dog, and the terrain. Lots of pines and rocks. Can I ask the name of your dog and what part of the country the pictures were taken?

8. mr.seangill

Nemo - he is a rescue boxer from Hoborescue of Denver Colorado. "In the wild" pics taken just outside of Red feather Lakes Colorado - we live in northern Colorado in Fort Collins nestled up against the front range of the Rocky Mountains.

9. Northern Dancer

-----> Wow! It all sounds great - almost like a theme right out of a western movie production. Appreciate you sharing your experience with me and the rest of the Camping Babblers.
    [pause] I took a moment to look up Fort Collins - interesting and fascinating history. Thanks again.

10. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Uh oh, you had me at the DIY type. I like your setup @seangill. I don't quite understand all the terminology of it all. I have done a little camp hanging, mostly warmer weather.

11. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Oh sorry I meant mr.seangill.

Draft saved Draft deleted