1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Best Type of Tent For Long Camping Trips

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by 2sweed, Apr 13, 2013.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

The only downside of this tent is the floor cloth is not sewn in. But it is on my list of possibilities. Looking at some at Gander Mountain as well.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

It all depends on the kind of camping and what you are using your tent for. I have one floor-less tent - I haven't used if for a long time. I prefer a tent floor that keeps out the moisture and the bugs - especially spiders.

3. 2sweed

I like easy laid back camping where you set up the tent and then explore the area. I would much drather come back to a tent that as you say has no bugs and snakes, or other creatures that I personally did not invite in. So the sewn in floor is a better idea and also one that keeps the rain out well and can be tied down good for windy conditions. I figure to spent about $150-200 dollars. I will know it when I see it.

4. Northern Dancer

I think that you are right. I am forever watching for sales and the like. The last tent I purchased [for this summer] was on sale on Black Friday - the sent me an alert about the reduction in price and it was more than enough for me to say yes.

I have a colleague who prefers to camp in a hammock - I think he calls it a Hennessey Jungle Hammock. I've always been afraid that I would fall out or it would turn over. The hammock is constructed in such a way that it doesn't happen. I like the novelty but I feel a lot more secure in a four season tent. I think that my dog Reese would agree because he sleeps in the tent with me.

5. 2sweed

I have watched a few video's on youtube, about those hammocks, but I like the security of a tent. I am sure that Reese, would not want to have to sleep outside looking up at you in a hammock. Plus you get a heavy rainstorm your bound to pick up a bit of moisture even if your tarp keeps the rain off. Also think of getting out in the middle of the night for a trip behind the bushes, does not interest me enough to try.

6. Northern Dancer

Yeah...those are some of the other considerations I hadn't thought of.

And besides - this year at base camp I have furniture that I have made during the winter that will adorn my tent. I have rugs to protect the floor and provide extra warmth if need be. There is a side table with lights, a coat hanger, a floor lamp, comfortable chair, military cot with a three inch mattress and a chandelier . In the corner near the door will be Reese's bed. It will be three inches off the floor to give him extra warmth too.

I agree with Baden Powell the founder of the Scout Movement - "Roughing it is for amateurs."

jpdflk.jpg

This was cub camp four years ago.

7. 2sweed

Looks just like home. You have a headboard too, how cute. I like the rugs on the floor and the baby bear side table. I could get used to that. lol Just let me grab my coat. :)

8. Northern Dancer

I don't usually do a headboard, but it was Cub Camp so I thought I would be a bit more creative for the occasion. I was a cub leader then and was known as Baloo the Bear [from the jungle book].

9. 2sweed

Well, Baloo, I like your den. It shows you have comfort and style, and no doubt you were the most popular bear at the camp that season. I was admiring your set up so much I almost forgot our topic of conversation. :)

Have you ever had trouble with the tent floor getting wet or damp, making your rugs wet or get moldy?

10. Northern Dancer

It has happened on occasion - usually after a lengthy rain. The Alaknak tent has a zippered floor opening for a stove. Once it rained off and on [and heavy at times] for three days. The current rugs that I use are not regular rugs but rather heavy cloth accept beside my bed. These can be easily aired out. They haven't gotten moldy yet.

11. 2sweed

I have seen those types of rugs as they are often used for outdoor patios and porches, and with camper trailers. I would think the only time it could become a problem is when your off on one of your extended away from base camp trips when base camp is closed up awaiting your return. (Like a tent put away wet can develop mold if not aired out and dried first.) Anyways thanks for sharing the picture. :)

12. Northern Dancer

You are welcome. When I'm away from my base camp everything remains in place other than a few items. True everything is zipped up for the weather and tied down for the storms. I haven't had any trouble - yet, and I'm hoping that will continue the same.

13. 2sweed

Is that the same tent you use when camping in the winter months? It is nice that it has a flap back on the floor to enable you to put in a small stove, that would be an extra plus in many family sized tents for use in cooler weather. I suppose it has a spot to put out a vent pipe as well?

14. Northern Dancer

Yes...it is a 9.5 x 9.5 but I do have a bigger one that is 12 x 20. Both have a zipped floor for a stove and there is a place to put up a stack.

This year I will be using the same make of tent without the stove jack. Though I will have a buddy heater for the rainy days when things get a bit damp. The three season has a four foot wall while the others have a three foot wall. I also have the vestibule which provides extra defence against harsh weather.

15. 2sweed

Do you use any venting system with your buddy heater? I would wonder about the propane during the night. It is too bad no one ever invented a container to put hot coals from the camp fire that would let off heat out the top or sides, but not be a fire danger in the tent. Sort of like a tall bucket like container with vents. You could add the hot coals then bank them for the night and stay warm all night, then in the morning use them to restart the camp fire to cook breakfast. :)

16. Northern Dancer

The tent is naturally vented and there are additional vents that one can employ. My practice is not to sleep when the heater is on. My sleeping bag [according to the season] keeps me warm and toasty through the night. I have on occasion, when it has been damp for awhile, taken a flat rock from the campfire, wrap it in a towel, and place it at the bottom of the sleeping bag. Surprising, it can keep you warm to the time you wake up. I only use the heater when it is particularly cold or damp - nothing worse than being cold on a summer day.

Actually...I think there are containers that you can use - designed for tee pee like equipment. I have a modern tee pee that has an opening at the top - but I've never had the need to use a fire pot. Good idea actually. I think that I might try experimenting with the same:pompous:.

17. 2sweed

In looking a tents I still go back to the tee pee style and yet I wonder about containing warmth in the tent on cooler days. I am also looking at dome tents, but would prefer a tent with a solid fabric top compared to a screened or clear top. I know the rain trap covers the top of the tent, but it just seems dumb having to add another covering over top of a tent. You see I still long for the canvas tent of my youth. But I am looking at sportsmensguide and reconsidering. :happy:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  18. Northern Dancer

I liked the canvass tent too but there are better products on the market today. I have a sportsmans guide tee pee - I don't recommend it. For one reason - the door does not zip up at the bottom. I've never seen a tent that didn't zip at the bottom. When I tested last April [2013] rain, wind and snow got in. The screen zips but not the outside door.

If you are summer camping I don't think you need to worry about cooler days - just dress appropriately. That's what I do.

Best tents don't have additional tarps because of the material used. HOWEVER, if the tent you should purchase comes with a tarp you need to use it. Make sure that it goes all the way to the ground.

19. 2sweed

20. Northern Dancer

Each manufacture will have a their own standard - the trick, it there is such a thing, it to make comparisons and read carefully the independent consumer reports. Purchasing a tent really depends on how often, where and how you plan to use it. An inexpensive tent is just fine if if is for the occasional weekend. I tend to purchase the higher end tent to assure that I will have no complaints - but then again I'm out for five or six weeks at a time.

Draft saved Draft deleted