1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Best Type of Tent For Long Camping Trips

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by 2sweed, Apr 13, 2013.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Well the very cheap tents are out for me, but I can not afford the best like you have and like you say this is your life and you need a good dependable tent for the long outings that you do. Going five or six weeks, you need a home away from home, which your picture clearly shows.

I on the other hand want to do more weekend camping and want something dependable and strong, yet reasonably priced. I would like to stand up in the tent at least in the center and not have to add more coverings to the tent. I don't like these clear colored screened tops with rain tarps. Often it is said that the bigger the tent can cause you to be colder because some body heat will help keep the tent warmer and you lose that with more space, but having room to store extra stuff and change clothes, or even invite friends to join you makes the case for the larger tent.

then comes easy of setting it up and taking it down. The less poles to carry or use in setting up the tent would be good. I just know I need to find something I like before summer gets here. I was even looking at the camper trailer tents and like them except the price is very high considering the biggest part of them is the trailer design and flaps.
    Well I will quit rambling and keep looking. It is out there somewhere. :arghh::grumpy::(

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

No...you are not rambling...your are babbling - Camping Babble! This is the place to do that kind of stuff - and it can be fun. Certainly it isn't going to cost you anything.
    Your selection has to be based on your needs and what you can manage. All my equipment can be managed by one person [me]. True, it might take a tad longer, but I don't care. It is all part of the fun. And when it is all up then I can do what I want. That is what I like about solo camping. I can do what I want [well...err...maybe mostly - you know what I mean.]

3. 2sweed

I like your sense of humor. Picking out a tent is like picking out a new computer. First deciding on the kind and model design, then figuring an affordable price and what special features you want or are included. Then taking a huge leap or gamble and hoping your satisfied with the final results. I will do this one day soon and then alas, no more hunting for a tent, and hopeful not complaining about the new one. :happy::happy:

4. Northern Dancer

At least there is no urgency in purchasing immediately and you have time to explore possibilities. My problem is wanting to buy another...and the reality is that I just don't need another tent. For one thing, I'm running out of storage space. Though I have to admit those British Outwell tents get the heart beating a bit faster. The designers have managed to give people like you and people like me exactly what we want. Sadly - they are really expensive, even for an equipment junkie like me.

5. 2sweed

In a way I do need to decide fast as many of my friends hit the ground running at the first sign of warm weather going off to the local camping areas. I would like to try a few overnight weekend trips with them and then a few solo ones by myself. They would help set up the tent and give me time to get used to camping again. I have even looked at tiny campers and trailers that are used with tents for a off the ground experience. But I am not happy with the choices I see. Might need to reconsider llbean again. :)

6. Northern Dancer

It might be better to purchase a tent that can accommodate a cot, with mattress. That's what I do and I have a perfect nights sleep. And then I build take down furniture too. So I have a night table and such for comfort.

7. 2sweed

Well I think I have decided on the kind of tent I will get a Wenzel Evergreen Tent. It is 10 X 9, Dome tent, with head room and will allow room for 6 people to sleep. The price is fair and it is on sale right now. Have you ever seen this brand before?

http://www.wenzelco.com/details.aspx?navID=458

8. Northern Dancer

Yes...I do have one [three man] that I use for canoe trips and I like it. It is the only tent that I have that actually has an opening for wires [either for solar panels or electricity]. I'm not familiar with the one that you are describing. Could I ask where you plan to purchase this tent? I would like to take a look at it too.

9. 2sweed

Don't mind telling you. SportsAuthority.com Another place that has this tent on sale is Amazon, but there I saw no mention of the 10 year manufactures warranty. So while the first place is more costly, that warranty might make it worth the difference. Check it out and see what you think. They have other models of that brand on site as well.

10. Northern Dancer

I've had an opportunity to track this tent down and from the reviews that I read the majority of the folks who bought this tent were happy with the product. Like you say it is roomy, tall enough to stand comfortably and space to move around.

The one thing that I found intriguing is the price range - $115.00 to $316.16 for the same tent [these are U.S. prices]. I have learned to shop and compare and I insist on the lowest possible price for the article I want. Of course if you have a lot of money it doesn't make any difference. But I have a set budget so I search diligently. Half the battle is to know what you want - and it sounds like you have made a good decision.

11. Northern Dancer

Opps...I did it again. I answered my own reply that was intended for you. [Next]

12. 2sweed

At the Sports Authority the price is $159.00, and at Amazon it is $115.00. I need to find the best deal, but sometimes cheaper is not better. I have not ordered it yet and may be able to locate it in a local store.

13. Northern Dancer

The price is okay, compared to what I saw with other stores. It seems to be a good buy in that it would be one that will meet your needs. It's kinda of nice if you can locate a local store so you can see it up close. You can ask questions too. I didn't get a chance to explore a lot of the reviews but the ones that I did said that it was an okay product.

So...if you take the plunge are you gonna buy a cot and mattress too? It keeps you off the ground and nice and warm too. And if you take an occasional nap in the warmth of the afternoon - it's great.

14. 2sweed

Yes, I was kind of leaning toward a Stansport Weekender Folding Cot, but then read reviews of people having problems with the seams ripping out. We had these same cots as young adults, but may be I need to find another brand that can withstand a bit more weight. :)

15. Northern Dancer

I tend to be a restless sleeper so I purchased a military cot - perfect for me. True - when I tested it I took me a heck of a time to get it set up. Now that I know how to handle it things are fine. Cots are like tents - there are a lot of them, different designs and prices. Stay away from the ones that have gizmos and gadgets - you want strength, firmness and durability.

16. 2sweed

Since you said you have one of these tents, a 3-person one, well I noticed the top of the tent is open screening without the rain-flap on. Why are so many tents made that way?? If you don't leave the rain flap on all the time you have a window of you to the world, that can see your every move. Do you know of any tent brand other than the really expensive ones that have a mostly solid top under the rain flap? At amazon you can see the tent without the flap.

This same brand has a bigger tent with a screened porch, but it would be way to much for me to handle by myself. Gosh, I am not sure what to do. :confused::confused:

17. Northern Dancer

That is a good question. The answer is a good tent has ventilation openings for condensation - the wetness on the inside of a tent wall. This is caused primarily because of our breathing in an enclosed space. You can actually breath out as much as a pint or more into the atmosphere and it usually lands on the walls as condensation. THIS IS A NORMAL OCCURRENCE. So...to prevent a build up or prevent the same ventilation pockets are built into the tent - especially the top. DO NOT TRY TO BLOCK THEM. They are designed for your safety. They are also designed for people who disregard warnings about using heating devices or want to cook in a tent. It is added security - though not always fool proof.

My suggestion is - if it comes with a full fly - put it on and leave it on. I wouldn't bother myself with the hassle.

I hope that this was helpful. :)

Some tents - the ones that I have - the openings are built in under a flap as you mentioned. On the Alaknaks the side vents are under a canopy as well as the ones at the top.

18. 2sweed

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for your help. :happy:

Next question, as far as cots go are the ones that the legs of the cot are crossed in a X pattern as steady and stable, as the ones that are square metal in design? I want one that if I turn over there is no danger of it tipping over or folding up. :oops::oops:

19. Northern Dancer

Selecting a camp cot is like selecting a bed. A good, even a medium priced cot, with not tip or fold up. [If you have set it up according to the instructions.] It would have to be really cheap. You need to consider the size too. We had a greenhorn come to camp once with a cot - a cheap special. First of all he was 6 foot 2 inches and it hadn't occurred to him to measure the width and the length. It turned out to be a kids bed.

Again - think of your needs. Read all the reviews and select one accordingly. THEN you need to think of what kind of mattress you will want. My rule of thumb is that I never buy plastic - ever. I have a sleeping bag insert over my mattress to provide extra warmth and softness.

As you can see I have an aversion to roughing it.

2sweed likes this.
  20. 2sweed

While I think I will go ahead and get the tent listed above, I was really hoping to find a 3-4 season tent that would work well in the winter, as well as in the summer. Do you have any suggestions in that area? I know the kind you have are good but I need to find something smaller and a bit cheaper in price.

Draft saved Draft deleted