1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Best Type of Tent For Long Camping Trips

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by 2sweed, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Unless you actually plan to camp in the winter you really don't need a four season tent. A four season tent has stronger material to manage the ravages of winter - ice, snow and high winds. A four season tent is designed just for that - Spring, Summer and Fall - depending where you live. Getting a four season tent is never really cheap because of the nature of its use. True - sometimes you can catch a closing out sale - but they are few and far in between. I still like to stand at base camp so a smaller one is out of the question. I do use a three season tent tripping - but that is a matter of choice and not a necessity. Even a simple summer tent will do okay with an extra fly.

It really boils down to choice and yes how much you have to spend.

I do agree I would rather spend a few more dollars on a quality product than a poorer one that lasts a lot less. Neighbours bought one of the cheap pop up tents. It lasted one trip. No...I would spend a few extra dollars to assure that I'm getting what I need.

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Since I live in the northern part of Pa, we have some warm weather, but mostly cool to cold weather. Now grant it I won't be out camping in the snow, but our area is know for being cold. So at best I have 2 months to enjoy camping. Hadn't mean't to say 3 season tent in above post, :oops: but got in a hurry and well you know how that goes.. Anyways, it would be useful in emergencies as well. May be I am just day-dreaming........:rolleyes:

3. Northern Dancer

Day dreaming is fine...I remember when I had absolutely nothing. My knowledge and skill level was on the ground. Gradually I learned [sometimes the difficult way] and eventually was able to afford - or at least be able to save up - for equipment that I wanted and needed. It's been a process. But it's been fun too and I've met a lot of great people along the way. I suppose that is another rationale for living the outdoor life. The nice thing is, that it's hard to tell the rich from the ordinary - most just have a common interest. Camping!

4. 2sweed

Wondering do you do much fishing, and if so is it fly fishing or with a spin reel? I just found my dad's fishing poles and hope to find someone who would be willing to go out with me and re-teach me the art of fishing. So far not much luck trying to find someone locally that I can trust to go with me, as most are working and do not have any spare time. But I have a urge to try fishing again for brook trout in the smaller streams in our area. We used to go when I was young, but I spent more time exploring the woods than fishing.

5. Northern Dancer

Moment of truth...I don't fish and I don't like to fish. Yep...I will clean em and cook em up, but catching? It ain't gonna happen. My older brother took me fishing once. He was pulling them in
    left and right and I wasn't getting anything. He said to me, "You must have lost your bait; you aren't catching anything." "Let me check your line for you!" "That's okay," I said. "Let me see," he said as he pulled up the line. "You don't have any bait on your line....you don't even have a hook?" "I'm I supposed to have a hook?" I replied.

6. 2sweed

Laughing Out Loud! :) I was never good at tying on a hook, think duct tape would work? But baiting hook was easy, not afraid of worms like some girls, but I could never figure out how to get the hook out of their mouth without doing damage. Now have Unhook'em tool. Exploring the woods was all I really wanted to do until time to go home. My dad was the fisherman of our family. But I would like to try just one more summer just to add it to my big list of "I know how to do that."

7. Northern Dancer

I think it's great to try something new. I have never kayaked, so this year I am going to give it a try.

8. 2sweed

Remember to roll with the flow, don't get stuck upside down in the water. This is something that I was always a bit afraid of trying, so you can kayak and I will fish.

9. Northern Dancer

That sounds good...:bear:

10. 2sweed

I found another tent that looks promising and is on sale. It might serve as a back up or for use for an overnight camping trip, where the luxury of ease of putting up and taking down is a must. It is called a Loyo Light Portable Fiberglass Tent that sleeps 3. It has a small rain tarp at the peak of roof and no windows, and a outside rain cover like some older tents had. Anyone ever see or use this brand of tent? :)

http://www.amazon.com/Loyo-Portable...oor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1398046846&sr=1-55

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  11. 2sweed

Just added the link to the tent above. Not sure how well it would hold up or if it is even healthy, but it is interesting.

12. Northern Dancer

Looks interesting true - but I noticed that there are no reviews by consumers on this product. You might want to check out the Orion by Wold Famous. I had a 7 x 7, though they make bigger tents. Just as a comparison.

13. 2sweed

I am going to get the brand of tent we talked about above, for this summer. But this tent vents through the top and with no windows might be a good fall weather tent for holding back the windy cool weather.

14. Northern Dancer

I thought your first selection was a good one - I can appreciate money is always a factor. I can't recall if it is a three season tent - if it is you wouldn't need another tent. If I were going to purchase two tents I would rather spend more on a good three season tent than purchase two. I think you would save a few bucks too.

15. 2sweed

Some of the first brand are three season. I am trying to decide if I need the one with electrical outlet opening or not. The tent comes in the normal square floor models and also a tall but more oblong shape with two windows on the sides. There is one model with a screened room in the front. Last minute choices and deciding which is the better choice as my camping is going to be limited due to my caregiving chores.

16. Northern Dancer

Sometimes, even though we appreciate the circumstance, our burdens leave us sad when our heart is somewhere else. I remember one summer that I was transferred to another community. I missed the whole summer. BUT...I sure have made up for it since.

17. 2sweed

Someday I hope to make up for this period in my life when everything nice turns stressful and a good day can turn sour in a moments notice. But I will camp this summer and I will get my equipment ready so I too can go camping soon as my chores have ended. Making my list and checking it twice.

18. Northern Dancer

Good stuff. :happy:

19. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I wouldn't bet on it, it may work for some small fish but fishing line is designed to hold a lot of tension. You would be surprised how much tension is on the line when a moderately sized fish is trying to wrestle free. Duct tape would probably slip off or tear under the tension, not to mention fall off when it is submerged in water. As for the hooks doing too much damage, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The wounds left will heal up eventually, that is if you are not eating your catch.

20. Northern Dancer

Well you see now...that's another good reason whey I don't fish - I just can't seem to handle all that detailed stuff. :bag: I just leave the whole mess to my buds - though I sure know how to cook em up. You know - the batter, selected spices, the good ol cast iron frying pan over a moderate crackling fire and the like.

Draft saved Draft deleted