1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Best Type of Tent For Long Camping Trips

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by 2sweed, Apr 13, 2013.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I guess the best thing then is to fish with friends that can tie on the hooks and remove the caught fish, and clean them up and then hand them over to us, to cook over the fire in a cast iron frying pan. That way we don't smell like fish, but we get to fill our selves with yummy fried fish. Humm... maybe I should learn kayaking too. :)

The duct tape was just a joke. It would stick to me more than any old fishing line. What a sticky mess. :)

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

We knew that of course. I hope you are well this evening even though the day has been wet and cold.

3. 2sweed

Yes, today was a good day to stay at home and rest. I have been busy with last minute yard work, raking out the flowerbeds of last years leaves and turning my compost pile over to a new spot. Now I can go back to housecleaning and let the flowers grow. I enjoy being outside much more than in but both chores need to be done.

4. Northern Dancer

I do too...but this year unfortunately there are a lot of downed branches, tree limbs and such that need to be removed. [A thousand dollars worth of damage.] The contractor is so busy that I'm on a waiting list. They figure about another two weeks. So there isn't a lot of yard preparation. AND ON TOP OF THAT I had to have a raccoon removed from the attic yesterday along with the five babies. Don't fear - the people who did the job were superb in the treatment of the animals AND making sure that they couldn't get back into the house. :)

TO SOOTHE MY JAGGED nerves I'm headed out Thursday to purchase a utility tent. On sale for just thirty dollars; I can't pass it up. It is 8X8 and stands 6o inches; popular brand a full rain fly and the works. I had one of these a few years back [cost me a lot more then] and gave it to a chum who didn't have a tent at the time. He didn't realize that I wasn't as generous as it appeared to be. He snores :mad: - and I hoped that by having his own place to sleep would be a distance from my space. :yawn: If you ever see him don't tell him.

5. 2sweed

Did a bad wind storm hit your area, or is this just winter weather debris?

6. Northern Dancer

We had a bad winter storm on a Sunday in January that left a lot of damage in the Regional Municipality. As well as the clean up a plan is afoot to replace the thousands of trees that were outright destroyed in the area.

7. 2sweed

That is always a shame to lose so many trees in one area and at the same time. We have had tornadoes in our area over the years, and hurricanes in Fl., that caused much damage. But up in these and your area it takes so long for new trees to grow again and hardly get rooted well before winter hits. I hope you get your repairs done soon so it does not interfere with your camping. :(:eek:

8. Northern Dancer

The Ministry of Natural Resources has warmed us that the situation might be a normal occurrence now. I hadn't thought about damage to the camp - I'll learn more when I get there. They are well equipped and can probably handle just about anything that comes their way.

9. 2sweed

It would be a great way to teach the scouts the proper use of a bow saw. Cut your own firewood. Don't think that would be a favorite activity if required to do it all week long. Do you? :)

10. Northern Dancer

Just enough for firewood. I've looked at the program and the main theme will be astronomy. I have a hunch that most of the wood has already been picked up for safety reasons.

11. 2sweed

Very good star-gazing and finding the big and little dipper, and the moon and other planets. that is a wonderful and amazing hobby to instill in young people. Plus, laying on ones back and gazing upward into the heavens after dark is the best way to see UFO'S.:vulcan::vulcan::greyalien::greyalien:

12. Northern Dancer

I've done that many times - looking up into the heavens is so relaxing.

13. 2sweed

Have you ever seen a UFO? I have seen strange things at least 2-3 times. Makes you wonder, figure we are not alone in the universe. :vulcan::happy:

14. Northern Dancer

Just once - I was fifteen and with a group camping out. We saw three unusual lights in the sky. We made some inquiries through the University of Toronto but we didn't hear anything back. That was the only time in my life.

15. 2sweed

I saw odd lights a few times at night and once saw a large shiny disk zip up up into the sky and disappear into the clear blue sky when I was about 22. It was neat to see something that I could not ID, but it was creepy too. Maybe you will see something interesting on this camp out. :)

16. Northern Dancer

Just the usual stuff would be fine.

17. 2sweed

Well the count down has begun it is May 1st, and soon your out the door and off to good food and hopefully a good time. Does the camping spot have cabins for the scout leaders or is everyone in tents?

18. Northern Dancer

I'm the only one in a tent [yahoo!] the group has opted for cabins.

19. 2sweed

What kinds of activities are planned? Do they go hiking or just do camp skills?

20. Northern Dancer

Let me look at the program...:finger: it looks like they will be eating a lot...there is a hike, an obstacle course, compass instruction, star gazing [one of the senior leaders is an amateur star gazer of excellent report], arsonist training [leader terminology fire making and lighting]. The group cooks the meals under supervision. This is a mature group who have a good reputation. Oh yes the preverbal campfire with skits and the like.

Draft saved Draft deleted