1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Best Type of Tent For Long Camping Trips

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by 2sweed, Apr 13, 2013.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Here is a sign just for you! Are you going to tell them scary ghost stories? What does a care person do?

tents.jpg

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...liked the sign - that's my attitude for sure.

Actually...I don't tell scary ghost stories; I prefer to tell well rehearsed stories that build strength, confidence and character.

What does a care person do? A good question. My responsibility is to take care of the entire group [Leaders and Youth]. I'm a Nationally Trained Scouter [Scouts Canada] and among other things I have a degree in Social Work that enables me to provide professional support in different situations as needed. I do similar things for Camp Wendake.

3. 2sweed

That is amazingly wonderful. Just what those young men need, a strong role model and someone who being highly trained can provide guidance and yet be able to handle any issue that presents itself in a calm confident manner. I am sure any group would be glad to have you close by. I didn't think you would be the type to tell scary stories. Scary stories are not needed in a place where giant moose wander into campsites and leaves rustle in the breeze, but someone who can reassure youth campers and train them to not be afraid is very much needed. :cool::happy:

4. Northern Dancer

Thank you!

5. 2sweed

Your very welcome!

I found another tent I like but it is way at of my price range. It is called the Black Pine Freestander. Looks good and ott to be with a price tag over $500 dollars.
    I am just dreaming again. But it is fun window-shopping.

tent5.jpg

6. Northern Dancer

I do that too...and that is okay...it really doesn't cost anything to dream. And then, someday those dreams become a reality. My problem is that they keep coming up with new products all the time.

7. 2sweed

That is true in all the products we buy, always the new and improved super duper in stead of just leaving a good thing alone. :arghh:

I was reading a review by one shopper who said he wished tent makers would provide a extra cover to use over the screen area under the rain flap. I guess his family was out camping and during the night the weather turned very cold and the cold wind blew up under the rain cover and they about froze. I do understand the need for venting, but with so much of the top and sides screened there is little protection from unexpected cold or windy weather. :(

8. Northern Dancer

Proper venting is not a deterrent to a tent and is designed to protect you. Though I can appreciate what the person is saying because the Alaknak has such a design. There are some tents that don't have a lot of vents like the old canvas tents that I use to own. Heavy and excellent in all weather conditions they keep the heat in very well.

Also, I make note of the weather conditions and the prevailing wind conditions, shelter and such to help minimize some of the those difficulties. It is my custom to be prepared for the unexpected [like I was this weekend]. I do have a vestibule on the front of my tents that prevent that cold gust of air that the reviewer is talking about. And the kind of sleeping bad they used? That would be interesting to know about too.

When I am instructing the arts of camping I often remind people that it is a tent and not a cabin. I'm always amused [even at myself] with expectations that I/we have. I'm a camper and I camp.

9. 2sweed

I don't know what type of sleeping bags they had, but I recall he said they went camping on a hot July weekend, that was suppose to remain so according to all reports, and this unexpected storm blew in with rainy cold weather. He was not expecting the wind to be able to come under the rain fly or through the vents. Now he knows it can happen. Even with a extra tarp or other protection the over-all design can be hard to protect yourself from chilly cold wind, or do you have a wisdom wise advice for taming this problem in an easy way? Other than sleeping bags set to handle -50 below. :happy::happy:

10. Northern Dancer

Thats true too...sometimes it jut doesn't happen and I hope for the better next time around. I can recall some wash out times that we just chalked up as experience. It can be real disappointing for folk who want to enjoy the outdoors and only have a few days or so.

11. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I think -50 below would be a bit extreme but I believe a lot of people underestimate how cold it can drop down to at night even if it was very hot during the day in summer. I find this is especially true towards the end of summer like in August.

12. Northern Dancer

Right on...but as I said I've learned to be prepared. You don't have to go nuts about it but you do need to think ahead. Like a buddy of mine who insisted that a pair of shorts would do a five day trip just fine. Well...it rained most of the time and the temperature dropped considerably. Three of the six brought extra pants just for him - just in case.

13. 2sweed

While not the same as needing shorts, I once went with friends and they had forgot most of the food at home. No hot dogs or steak, just blueberry and banana bread, I had made with coffee for the entire weekend. We were all famished for real food. Luckily a few were fishermen and by the last day we had trout for lunch. We had a big cookout in the backyard when we got home to use up the forgotten food. :oops::oops::happy:

14. Northern Dancer

I've never had that experience but a colleague of mine did. They went through their check list and all was fine until they got to the first camp site some distance from base. No food! "What did you do?" I asked. "Well, we stayed the night and returned to base, drove into town [an hour away] and purchased what we needed [at extra cost] and started out again." "So...how was the mood of the group?" "Volatile," he said. "Everyone was blaming everyone else."

I did have a greenhorn leave one of my Kelty Tents at a portage. When he went back to look for it, it was gone.

We have left pegs behind, a single mess kit, a house kit etc. but nothing that we couldn't manage.

15. 2sweed

I hope it was one of the cheaper Kelty tents, cause ouch! That would be a sad loss.
    Now I know your no doubt tired of this subject but one last question before I order my tent. If I get a tent that allows head room and say for 3-4 people, in case I invite a friend, it is my understanding that a tent stays warmer on a cold night if the windows are zipped up. So how does one heat up a tent with body heat, if the top of the tent is screened with just a rain tarp cover on the roof? Wouldn't the screened roof defeat that purpose? (No X-rated answers). :confused::(:happy:

16. Northern Dancer

If you have a lot of people in a tent you could warm the place up...a bit. On occasion I will share my tent at base camp but having another person with me really doesn't do anything. Having the windows zipped will cut down on the drafts and such. I wouldn't tamper with the top screen; though once I tried a hand made canopy - not with a lot of luck.

It's the sleeping bag. That is what is finally going to keep you warm. [It captures your own body heat and surrounds you with warm air.]

You probably know this already so it might be a review.
    • I use a three season bag with an insert so I know that I am going to be warm. The insert, if needed will give me another 8 to 10 degrees of warmth. I use a bigger bag at base so I can roll around without effort and snuggle the warm material. I have a fluffy pillow that has a flannel pillow case.
    • I wear a toque to cover my head at night if I'm a bit cold or the conditions make it necessary.
    • If it is cold I wear pyjamas.
    • If you are sleeping on the ground a pad will help keep the heat considerably. When I'm at base camp I have a military cot as you know.

17. 2sweed

Okay, I agree. as you know I am still stuck back in the old days and see these new tents through eyes that wonder how in the world can anyone trust a tent without a solid top. but I am giving in as alas there are no tents with solid tops in my price range or with the features I want. So soon I will have a new tent and then I must find a way to use it. But I will keep window-shopping in case the ones I really like go on sale. :)

18. Northern Dancer

You are doing fine...What some people do is to leave the regular fly off and put their own over top or in some instances leave the one and still put one over top in a canopy fashion. More work of course. I think you will be alright though and if you dress for the occasion I don't see you have any serious problems.

19. 2sweed

I have a good sleeping bag and thought I might use my comfortable long lawn lounge for a cot, as it is very well cushioned. And of course add a few necessities to make over nights nice with proper lighting and a good book, a port-a-potty to save myself long journeys in the middle of the night. I have coolers and tarps, and para-cord and good long metal stakes from family camping days.
    By the way your very nice to say you thing it will all work out. I might have some oop's stories as well. :oops::eek::happy::happy:

20. Northern Dancer

I think that you are a pro and just being gracious about your knowledge. ;)
    The threads would certainly support that idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted